Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,490 Members

Please welcome our newest members: anonymeLouise, RDANIELA NICOLE, Lfr, CPADUA, DSHAIRRA PE

Write it down

13 years ago 0 659 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Ashley,
This is a great idea.  I think I could do journaling now that I have a better understanding of it. It really is relative and unique to each individual. Your point suggestions are very helpful. I have been thinking about getting a notebook size computer for myself to do all of my writing on and nothing else.  This way it would remain safe and private.  I do like writing it out on a computer where it is easier for me to read and write on. 

Shari,
You are doing great and should be very proud of yourself for sticking to the program and doing the work necessary to get well.  Keep up the good work.

Davit,
It good to hear you are doing so well and have conquered the chat room.  They can be hard to keep up with and there are thoughts and ideas coming for every which way.  You did with no melt down, crash or what ifs.  You are very inspiring.

Red
13 years ago 0 1071 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
A date correction on my 8/15/2010  2:09:00 PM post on this thread.  I meant to say..."Since I began the program this July 25th (2010), I have not had one panic attack."  I'm sure everyone would have figured it out, because above my avatar it says the date I joined.  Too bad I didn't figure it out when I posted it :)
13 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Shari

You are the most amazing success storey. Pretty soon you will be questioning if you ever had panic, I know I did. And I know I was real bad but it is hard to believe it now I feel so good. Had a panic attack try yesterday, but it was like a misstep, it was gone that fast. I know it happened but can't remember why or what it was about. Some thought set it off but the positive thought is so deep that it just couldn't surface. No "what ifs" or other crazy thoughts. Now it is buried even deeper. I had some unexpected exposure yesterday too and travelled through it with no anxiety at all. It was in a chat room and my friends kept asking if I was OK. It was funny. I guess I was supposed to crash. A year ago I would have. Not now. I wonder if this is what life is supposed to be like, I can't remember ever not having anxiety. It is gone. Just gone. No wondering if or when it will come back. Gone, gone gone.

Life is so fine. Come people join me. Even my appearance has changed. So many benefits. And I owe it to all of you.

Here for all of you.
Davit.
13 years ago 0 1071 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Ironic timing on the posed question.  I had some thoughts swirling around and decided to sort things out on paper.  I spent some time on the Goals Worksheet and identified specifically what they were.  I came to The Panic Center after having a really bad panic attack and could not live the rest of my life this way.  Here are my goals:  Not to fear panic attacks and cure the panic disorder.  To get rid of agoraphobia; specifically not having a freak out in the shower, when driving and being a passenger in cars, and to be able to control waking up from sleep in a panic.  Also, to go to the doctor and dentist.  Since I began the program this Aug. 25th, I have not had one panic attack.  I've been able to use coping skills to talk myself down and prevent the attacks altogether.  Before the sessions, my anxious thoughts were 97% of the time and now they are 3% of the time.  I didn't realize how negative I was until I put in all the time into replacing those thoughts with positive ones.  I am also able to use the coping skills in my head instead of having to read notes on how to do it all the time (I still write things down and do the homework).  It's a lot of hard work, but the results are worth it and are amazing.  I am going to continue through the entire program and keep practicing what I learn and it should, in time, become an automatic response.  I understand life isn't perfect and instead of calling anything a set back, I would like to call it a push through.  A set back makes it sound like you have to start from square one and you didn't get anywhere or you lost ground and went backwards.  A push through means you worked through it and are continuing to grow from the process.  The above mentioned goals are what I am dealing with in my daily life.  Although I don't like elevators and airplanes, I can do them and since they are not a part of my daily life like if I were a flight attendant or was living in a sky scraper building, I am working on what I specifically need to do on a daily occurance basis.  I'm also thinking that I just need to do the dentist and doctor thing, since you normally have to go once or twice a year.  I think it's normal fear and I don't know how much exposure you can have, unless you went on a daily basis for an hour each day to completely get rid of it.  I think it's just something that I have to do, just like everyone else.  I am not an expert on anything, I am just learning about it like everyone else.  I'm not being cocky, I just know I have a game plan for anxiety and panic and I don't worry about the next attack anymore, because I'm prepared and know what to do about it.  I've learned a lot and I know I still have a lot to learn.  I'll still be learning things when I'm 100 years old :) 
13 years ago 0 11213 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Members,

Are thoughts lurking in the back of your head?  Is there something troubling you? Write it down.  We spoke about journaling and writing down your thoughts and emotions, yet occasionally, there just isn’t the time, so point form!

Have your fun pad and pen near by!

Did you come to a realization?
Did your mood change?
Do you see a pattern?
How is your mood today?
What are you eating?
Are you angry?
Are you happy?
Did you reach a goal?

That’s right it is all relative! 

Take the weekend and sort it out, knowing your triggers, emotions, situations, and food consumptions can move you forward and help better assess your situation.
Ashley, Health Educator

Reading this thread: