Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

New Year's Resolutions

Lynn123

2024-03-18 10:20 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Water

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-03-17 1:24 PM

Healthy Weight Community

logo

What motivates you?

2024-03-10 6:30 PM

Quit Smoking Community

logo

Myth or Fact

2024-02-23 3:25 PM

Quit Smoking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

DM555 1 1

Most Loved

Browse through 411.740 posts in 47.052 threads.

160,396 Members

Please welcome our newest members: GRHODA MAUI MARIE, Enordin, IRN, MNICOLE, AYNA NICOLE

Getting Help

12 years ago 0 250 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
So a bit of an update. 

I took the meds and was terribly sick. I missed work today, feeling horrible, worrying about getting fired.

My doctor ignored my health concerns and talked me into need antidepressants. I still have an earache and my ear is muffled. Maybe that is why I am dizzy!

I think I have 2 health issues, one my ears and two my depression. I am off to see a brand new doctor on the 24th.

Thanks
12 years ago 0 1665 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Good luck, SP.  I don't think taking meds. is all bad.  It might be all bad if popping a pill is all you do for any little thing that troubles you.  But you aren't like that, you will be wise in its use and with the help of your doctor and your therapist/counselor, you may do wonderfully well.  Because anxiety is sometimes thought of as "just pull up your socks" and "stiff upper lip", we may feel we are weaklings if we can't do it ourselves.  Just think though, diabetics take their shots every day, heart patients take their meds., etc.  Why is this any different?
Let us know how it goes.  

Sunny
12 years ago 0 4027 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
SP,
I know what you mean.  I've always been "sensitive" so I find it's been hard to deal with rejection, disappointment.  I've tried to "give up" being in a relationship, but it's hard to just "hide" from the vulnerability of being a human being.  It's like the lyrics in jan arden's song...I don't mean to be forward...it's just something I've struggled with...

How do you cool your lips
After a summer's kiss
How do you rid the sweat
After the body bliss
How do you turn your eyes
From the romantic glare
How do you block the sound
Of a voice you'd know anywhere 

How can I be sensitive and not "collapse" at the same time
I am actually optimistic about all this. I am just a bit cynical :)

I am weary of reaching out because I have been hurt a lot in the past. Trust is a huge thing for me.
12 years ago 0 4027 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Sp,
I'm just curious how "reaching out" is for you?

For me, it's difficult for a number of reasons.  One is that I'm isolated and have few people I can ask for help.  Secondly, I'm that way since I fear intimacy, so asking for help makes it a cycle of failure.  Help is an admission of weakness to me.  I gues I've never learned to be a friend, and how reciprocation "works".

I remember reading a quote by a famous Greek singer called N. Mouskouri(not sure about this spelling) who said that in Greece, "...we don't have psychiatrists, we have friends..." or something like that.

12 years ago 0 59 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Well done SP for reaching out & taking that step, medication along with this program will hopefully help you tremendously. You have shown how strong you are by reaching out & asking for help. 

I myself have avoided for the last 10 years, since my husband died, it became my middle name almost, I lost my family & friends as a result at they didn't understand what I was going through.
With daily use of this site for the past 4 months I feel I have come a long way, I have changed as a person. I do hope you continue with your therapy & that medication works for you. You are not alone, there is always someone here to talk to, listen to you & offer you a little advice.

Good luck with everything.
museluver  
12 years ago 0 11209 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Sunflower,

Thanks for the update. It looks like you are trying out two great treatment methods.  This is great, and you are right it is a success, as it takes strength and courage to reach for and accept help.  

I would like to highlight though that you seem to be quite pessimistic about both treatments. How can you change the way you look at these treatment options to be more optimistic?  For instance, in regards to going to a counselor you say that you rarely express yourself.  That was before, what do you want to do now? What do you need to do in order to ge the most out of both of these new treatments?

Members, how do you get the most out of visiting a counselor? Any tips?

Ashley, Health Educator
After many, many years of avoidance, denial etc. I have finally asked my doctor for help. I am starting medication for depression today. I think that is a sad success in a way.

I reached out, which is major for me. But I wish I didn't have to take medication. I know though, that I need too.

I am also going to a counsellor of sorts. I hope that works out as I rarely express much.

Sunflower

Reading this thread: