Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,490 Members

Please welcome our newest members: RDANIELA NICOLE, Lfr, CPADUA, DSHAIRRA PE, CLOVELY GRACE

The BBQ - I did it

13 years ago 0 12049 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
DEBIT,

Sorry but I just had to move this over to the "SUCCCESS FORUM"!

What a great success and way to use your exposure questions!

Thank you so much for sharing and know that we can see the smile on your face

Josie, Health Educator
13 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Debit

Congratulations. I think you did very well.

Davit
13 years ago 0 1665 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Good morning Debit:  CONGRATULATIONS!  You did very well indeed.  Hope you gave yourself a reward afterward, you deserve it.  I know the feeling that you did it is sometimes reward enough, but giving yourself a small or big reward afterward just reinforces the celebration of the positive.  Big pat on the back to you!

Your friend, Sunny
13 years ago 0 152 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thanks Sunny, sometimes i find for me the anticipation of doing something is worse than doing it, today was the biggest thing i have done in a while because it is out of my area, i am pretty comfortable driving around localy,  i am happy that i did it but dont want to be over confident either as its just a step on the staircase of getting well, but when i did write down those few positive statements i did feel better and a bit less anxious :)

Your friend Debi
13 years ago 0 58 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
that is a totally awesome story and in fact made my night reading that!!

debi you should be really proud of yourself and i am really happy for you, i can tell from your writing that you are stoked! good job!!

Sunny II
13 years ago 0 152 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
well something positive happened to me today, last week a division of the company i worked for asked me and my coworker(there are 3 of us and 1 is away on holidays) to a BBQ at their office, it is about 30 minutes drive away from my work, my coworker said he would drive, so i thought i would use this as exposure work, i was alittle nervous about being a passenger and a little anxious about going in the first place, i put the thoughts aside as i had to do an exposure of taking my daughter to the orthordontist (20 minutes away) on Monday. Then i went to work yesterday and my coworker said there is no point coming back to work after the BBQ we will just go home so we will drive ourselves, well that was it i immediately started thinking how i was going to get out of it, but planning my route if i had to go, after an hour of obsessing i put the thought away, then this morning i woke up anxious and thought i would get out of it by not going to work, but then i told myself no you are avoiding things (i had already did the 10 questions yesterday) so i went to work with my navigator in hand and was still a bit anxious so to calm myself down i got a piece of paper and wrote on it;

I am strong and healthy
I have good car
I am a safe driver
it will be two hours max
you can do it debi
This is the road to getting well

I put the paper in front of me and looked at it for an hour before i had to leave, then my daughter rang and she had left her phone in my car so rather than follow my coworker i had to take the phone home first, I took my piece of paper with me and dropped of the phone, i drove all the way there breathing and singing, i had a nice anxiety free lunch and then i drove all the way back even getting lost in between with still no anxiety, for once i really enjoyed the drive and when i pulled in my driveway i shouted I DID IT, i am so glad i did not avoid this BBQ and am keeping my piece of paper for future exposures.

I was thinking of all of you on the way and i could feel you all pushing me along - thank you my friends

xxx

Reading this thread: