Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

HelpPlease

2024-04-15 2:59 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.747 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,460 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Angelbaby, kencatly, jrawrz, AMARIAH BETTINA, HelpPlease

Hello

10 years ago 0 90 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
So I went to the therapist and did mention this site. She thinks I should make an appointment with a psychiatrist to get evaluated and maybe I need to be on medication.

I did buy one of the herbal remedies someone mentioned here to try and give that a try. I am not sure how easy it will be to get an appointment with a psychiatrist in this area.

I'm hoping a combination of things will eventually help me.

With our leasing manager, who knows what her issue is. We have someone who lives across the hall and she has been there for well over 10 years and she said she has never dealt with some an awful manager before. As soon as the woman came to harass her, she was on the phone with the district manager. The other person across the hall has been there for over 5 years and she said the same thing.

I really want to move at the end of my lease, but it is not until August. I may try to break it before then. I was thinking of buying a house, but I am starting to think that would not be a wise idea. I am not sure what area I want to live in or if I want to stay with my job. I know my head is too confuse to make any real decisions.
10 years ago 0 356 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Davit,

That scenario you describe is awful, but believable for sure. And depressing. Some jobs are too awful because of the way people are treated either the workers or clients or both. 

I should say that one of the first building managers I ever had as a tenant was very kind and respectful and did not raise the rent because he wanted to help young people who were just starting out. There are all kinds of people in the world that is for sure.
10 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thirty some years ago I lived and worked in an oil patch town. I rented an apartment and managed the building. I saw both sides the good and the bad. I've seen owners that had absolutely no feelings. 
I've had to enter an apartment without permission when water was running out the door. I evicted the people and all that happened was they were accepted in a different building. 
I was fired for refusing to evict 13 families of Vietnamese. The owner kicked them out and I moved to a different building. His building still had cockroaches, they never came with the Vietnamese. They came with the white trash working in the oil patch. Dirt is dirt no matter what colour there skin is. 
But with the owners the dollar is the bottom line. I was supposed to act and become like the owners and couldn't do it.
Owners with multiple buildings try to get people to move from one building to another so they can raise the rent. Even to moving within the same building. We were supposed to give people the worst apt. so they would want to move to a better one.
Too much stress, I couldn't treat people like that. But apparently some can. 

About all you can do is write down the pros and cons and balance that against an acceptance factor of what you can tolerate. Life is not always nice and many people certainly not.

CBT will help with tolerance.

Davit
10 years ago 0 356 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Gailerina,

I have had many interesting experiences as a renter over the years and had one property manager that also entered the suite unannounced which as you say, is illegal. I ended up putting the chain on the door anytime I was home and then she and I ended up in a shouting match between the door one day because she insisted on coming in unannounced and I had a headache and didn't want her in my home. 

People who do not live in a rental situation may not realize how it feels to have an intrusive rental manager who is crossing boundaries, even legal ones by entering your home, which is a place you want to feel is private, that is why the law states they have to give you notice first before entering. It makes sense that it would cause anxiety, I know it did for me (and anger). I ended up moving out of there.

I cannot recall now if I ever reported her or not to our local board that manages these things. What I do know is that for me, addressing my anxiety has helped me become much more assertive as a person in general. I know today when things like this happen I am much much more likely to speak up for myself than I was back then (and in that case, report her to the tenency board). So this is all to say that if you are doing the CBT program, you may also find that it becomes easier to be assertive - if that is an issue for you like it was for me. I know not everyone with anxiety has trouble being assertive but it was something I had to work on - there is literature about a connection between anxiety and assertiveness so I know I am not the only one who has seen CBT work to improve both. 

Good luck with your work this week!
It all started a couple of weeks ago.

I'm currently living in an apartment and looking for a house. We got a new leasing manager who is quite mean and was picking on us. We live in one of the few 3 bedroom apartments and she knows it can be rented for more money. She also hates animals.

She kept wanting to inspect the apartment and one time came in unannounced (yes I know illegal) and gave my 65 year old mom a scare.

While she has not been back in a couple of weeks, I just feel as if she is going to keep coming up with excuses to start trouble, especially since majority of people in the buildings have complained about her behaviors.

As I look for homes in my area, I am just wondering if I am in the wrong area and need to make major changes, so move far away. I'm doubting myself a lot.
10 years ago 0 11212 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Welcome Gailerina,

I am sorry you have been feeling so nervous and sick. It certianly sounds like anxiety and/or depression but only a doctor can diagnose you so I am glad you are seeing a therapist tomorrow. I encourage you to talk to your therapist about this program. This program is based on CBT techniques and it can be self guided or you can work on it with the help of your therapist.

When did these feelings start? Do you think something triggered it? What are some of your anxious thoughts?

We'll help you to take control of this. Glad you found us!

Ashley, Health Educator
10 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Gallerina

Please let us know how it goes with your therapist. We are here to listen and help with our experiences where we can.
Anxiety disorders sneak up on people, it is good you are seeing some one. This is not something you want to do alone.
We will listen, even if all you want is a place to talk.

Davit
My name is Gailerina and I am trying to find help for myself. I'm not sure what is wrong, but I am seeing a therapist tomorrow. I am just down and nervous a lot. I think the worst in a lot of situations. I have been tired and sore and sleep for the past few weeks. I am not eating a lot lately, as I feel sick or just not hungry. I'm hoping I can start to feel better soon, I hate this feeling.

Reading this thread: