Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-03-27 3:02 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Water

2024-03-17 5:24 PM

Healthy Weight Community

logo

What motivates you?

2024-03-10 10:30 PM

Quit Smoking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

DM555 3 3

Browse through 411.742 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,431 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Jgorilla, anna13, CCaballero, JJAY EVANGEL, VKATE DARLENE

Resurgence of Panic Attacks

14 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hello Teebs.

I can understand you wanting to be off the drugs. It is a whole different world. Every thing looks and smells and tastes better. It is worth it so this is going to sound odd coming from me. IF and I mean if because it might be hard, go back on what ever SSRI you can use for at least a month and then very slowly come off it. I say if because some of us have become very sick going back on. Life on this side of the pills isn't perfect and I don't think it ever will be, but I like Sunny function pretty well and when we have bad days we have a routine to reduce the Anxiety. When I have good days they are fantastic. The rebound from going cold turkey can make it impossible to do exposure work. We will do every thing in our power to help you. Use this forum. Ask question, vent, or just say Hi!. Believe it or not after a while it is possible to tell the panic to go away and just leave me alone. If you don't know any you will have to learn distraction and relaxation techniques. And it will take a long time but it is worth it. Especially if you do any thing artistic. You will be amazed at the improvement. And music, My God what sound!!  One of the things that people always forget after a long time on meds is that a lot of time has gone by. You are older, Expect thing to take longer and be harder. Slow down and enjoy them. Getting long winded here. Welcome and remember we are here for you.

Davit.
14 years ago 0 224 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hello and welcome Teebs!

Thank you for  taking the time to share your story with us. There are many people within this support group that share the same experiences and concerns as you, so feel free to post any questions or vent whenever you feel like you want to.

Have you had a chance to look through the program?This program is 12-weeks and involves various tools that can help you manage your  panic.Each session is based on the previous session, so we strongly advise that you work slowly through the program and not jump ahead.  

Come back often to let us know how you are doing.

Members, please continue to share your experiences with Teebs on what has worked for you to manage anxiety without taking any  medications.

Luciana, Bilingual Health Educator
14 years ago 0 192 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hello Teebs:  Welcome to the forums.  I was on Paxil for a few yrs. too but when I went off took my time and did it slowly so as not to have any major side effects or rebound.  That was a few yrs. ago.  I don't take anything now and no longer have panic attacks, but occasionally do feel symptoms, though not as scary as before because I know what they are.  I had taken CBT Course before so whenever I feel symptoms coming back - usually when I have stress with too much to do at a time, too busy a schedule, not enough sleep and not eating well - I go back to basics.  Basics for me is faithfully doing my deep breathing exercises morning and evening, some meditation, muscle relaxation and visualization in the evening before bed and just plain pampering myself for awhile and saying "no" to extra duties.  Sounds like it takes a long time to do these things, but I don't do them all one after another.  If you are not acquainted with these techniques, they are in this program so I hope you give it a good study and a real try.  These techniques take practice but they do work so even if you think you aren't getting anywhere, you are.  One day the calm will come almost automatically.  Personally, I don't see anything wrong in taking meds to help you, however, I do believe it is important to keep seeking knowledge and alternatives (you write that you have found others already) and see what works for you best - but very importantly always working with your doctor.  At least now you know that the SSRI did work well for you before and this time when going off, when you are ready, you might want to do it more slowly so as not to experience the same side effects as the first time.  Sometimes we want a quick fix and there aren't any really, it takes patience and understanding I think.  hope this helps a bit, and good luck!  Keep posting, we hear you
14 years ago 0 286 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hello there,

I've dealt with panic anxiety on and off all of my life. In high school I was having difficulty going to school so my doctor put me on Paxil, which I took for eight years. Last April I felt like I was in a good place in my life and hadn't had any serious anxiety issues for some time, so I wanted to try being drug free. Little did I know what I was getting into.

I quit Paxil cold turkey (I realize now that is not recommended but I did check with my doctor and he okayed it) and I went through a horrible six week withdrawal with insomnia, shaking, nausea, and rebound panic. Since then it has been a constant struggle to return to normal life. I have looked into and tried many alternative ways of dealing with anxiety - changing my diet and exercise patterns, acupuncture, counseling, herbal remedies, etc. I have also occasionally used Xanax to subvert major panic attacks. I've had good stretches but had a couple of panic attacks in mid-December that has started a major flare up. All of a sudden it's not just the old feared situations that cause panic attacks, but I'm afraid to even leave the house by myself because of all the attacks I've had in the last couple of weeks. Now I experience a daily near-constant anxiety and am at a very low point.

My ultimate goal was to remain drug free and manage my anxiety without it, and especially after my Paxil withdrawal I am very skeptical of drugs. However, after having to use Xanax fairly often in the last few weeks (and I know how addictive it can be), my doctor has convinced me to try a low dose of Prozac to help me return to feeling functional and being able to work on my anxiety through exposure therapy without constantly being so symptomatic.
I'm frustrated about being on another SSRI because the side effects of Paxil were significant - though I didn't realize how much of an effect it was having on me, since getting off of it my libido has increased, I've lost 25 pounds, and my sleep patterns have returned to normal. I want to manage this anxiety - right now it is so unbearable that I'm not functioning and am willing to do everything - but I don't want to return to those or other side effects either.

I've done a lot of anxiety research over the years so know a lot of the logic about how panic attacks won't physically harm you, how fight or flight works, and how exposure therapy can be beneficial. But, it's hard to get logic to overcome emotions. I'm very frustrated by this recent major setback, because I am a very active, motivated person and feeling limited by my anxiety makes me very hard on myself.

I'm hoping the Panic Program will help guide my recovery work, and I'm hopeful that I can find help and support in these forums. I'm especially interested to hear from people who have tips on managing anxiety without drugs after having been on them for some time, and I need support as I try to justify myself going back on an SSRI for at least the short-term.

This got kind of lengthy, but I guess I had a lot on my mind. It helps to put it into words.

Reading this thread: