Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,477 Members

Please welcome our newest members: DSHAIRRA PE, CLOVELY GRACE, kathleencabralmd, TestingDHA, JVICTORINO

BUSTED or Uncovering the anxiety tactics

10 years ago 0 4027 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Davit,
Persevering is one of my core belief daily affirmations, but it's tough.  I caught myself postponing a course, and have missed a class, since the current one is finishing.

I could wait until july, but the birdwatching course require binoculars, and I can turn a search for the perfect binoculars into a wild goose chase, so I don't trust myself here.

As for mom,, now she won't get her hair done, and her excuse for not going out is her hair doesn't look good.

The apple doesn't fall far from the tree.
10 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hugs

Of course. This is a common thing among the sick or disabled. Why bother, tomorrow will just be the same and in the end I'm going to die anyway. Why bother, no one sees me, no one visits. I hurt, it is too much work. I don't have time left in my life to do anything.  All these are wrong but you can't change them. You also can't get a person in this stage to try anything new. It has to be their idea.

So what did your mom like to do before this, and I hope it wasn't just to watch TV.

Don't try to reason but agree. When I was in the hospital I would suggest something stupid so they would leave me alone.
Instead of arguing with me they would set it up and I'd be committed. Nurses are used to this and much better at it than us. They are trained to deal with this. And they smile a lot because it is distracting. I'd find something to do just to get away from them.

So why not load your mom in the car and drive her wherever even to the point of her directions even if it annoys you. You may not get her hair done but you will get out. Of course this will put a strain on you that may last days but is probably worth it. 

Davit.

PS This doesn't always work. I learned over the last few months that trying to get some one out of the house when they don't want to go is pretty tough. Don't give up though.
10 years ago 0 4027 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I wonder if others have found they or others they're caring for or in relation to, have clever ways of escaping exposure.  I found this today as I wished to get someone out, and they said their hair cutter locally was unacceptable.  The alternate person is in a congested place for traffic, and possibly closed, so I found that the reason to go to the further one, was possibly just fear, masked as displeasure with the the previous hair cutters.

Anybody else find people or themselves playing these games?

Reading this thread: