Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

HelpPlease

2024-04-15 2:59 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.747 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,460 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Angelbaby, kencatly, jrawrz, AMARIAH BETTINA, HelpPlease

Anger during alcohol-free period

4 years ago 0 11212 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Great to hear!
4 years ago 0 2 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thanks for the input. I'm fine now, at least for the time being. I guess sometimes you just have to be patient and wait it out, the anger subsided on its own after a few days.
4 years ago 0 11212 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi skl1234,

Anger is actually a very common withdrawal symptom. This is due to lots of reasons. One reason I want you to think about is that sometimes people use anger as a way to avoid facing other emotions. For example, someone may drink to avoid an emotion. They also might get angry to avoid facing an emotion as well. If they are not drinking they have to rely solely on anger to avoid. Anger can make you feel powerful, while emotions like sadness, grief, unresolved trauma, anxiety, etc., can be more difficult to face. For men, who are often told "boys don't cry", "man up", etc,; the problem is even more compounded as they are often socialized to believe the only acceptable emotion to express is positive emotions or anger.

The problem is anger can be detrimental to our health, work life and relationships.  I encourage you to look at the underlying issues of your anger. What emotions are you avoiding? What needs addressing? You may want to work through these thoughts with a skilled therapist. In addition to this, a mental health professional will also be the ideal person to teach you ways to cope with anger. They will also help you work on controlling obsessive thoughts like you mentioned. It sounds like if you had a few more coping skills you would be much better equipped to stay successful in your abstinence. 

Ashley, Health Educator
4 years ago 0 1562 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I can totally relate to it, we use alcohol as a medicine. But because we are mentally and bodily affected, we can't just have one or two drinks. When we stop, we have to face our life situations without our friend alcohol. All sorts of emotions manifests. Boredom, anger, irritability, restlessness, anxiety..... all are some form of un manageability. We call it the spiritual malady. If we dont take care of it, that will lead us back into drinking. And then that vicious cycle. I drank and at the end of the drinking career went through a phase of stopping, getting restless, irritable..... picking back up again...suffering..... stopping.. that vicious cycle kept going on until I walked into the rooms of AA a broken man.
4 years ago 0 2 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hello,
Just for some context: I'm a 33-year-old man. I usually drink heavily 3-4 times a week with friends. I never drink alone; I live in a place where that is what people usually do for fun, almost exclusively. Due to health issues (= often being hungover and sleeping poorly) and also because I'd like to lose some weight, I've decided to stop drinking for 33 days, then reassess things. This is day 11. 
I've been sleeping better and haven't really craved alcohol so far. I've been going out normally with my friends and it's still enjoyable. But when I'm not out having fun, I am getting angrier and angrier every day. I feel like smashing things and I did, once - Windows froze out on me, I had a fit and destroyed my keyboard. There is some stuff going on that was making me angry before, and now I feel like the regular intake of alcohol - although not daily - was helping me cool down and forget about it. I'm still going out a lot, I'm exercising, I'm making music and pursuing other hobbies, but I feel like there is no substitute for the relaxation I got from drinking. I'm an obsessive person and alcohol usually breaks the obsessive thought cycle. Now I'm not sure what to do or how to manage it.
Is this common? I looked for "anger" as an effect from alcohol withdrawal but couldn't find it. Does anyone have any suggestions for how to deal with this? Has anyone gone through something similar? Thanks.

Reading this thread: