Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-03-27 3:02 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Water

2024-03-17 5:24 PM

Healthy Weight Community

logo

What motivates you?

2024-03-10 10:30 PM

Quit Smoking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

DM555 3 3

Browse through 411.742 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,431 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Jgorilla, anna13, CCaballero, JJAY EVANGEL, VKATE DARLENE

Emergency Plan

a year ago 0 11210 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0

Bump!

This is a must read for members who are quitting or cutting back now.

Attending family events that involve alcohol can be very triggering. How else will you be managing your triggers and sticking to your goals this weekend?

Ashley

10 years ago 0 55 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I just wanted to say that I used practice for days leading up to this wedding I had last night as none of this would have worked if I hadn't practiced what to say to my husband my friends and strangers who asked me if I wanted a drink. I needed the answer before they asked or I wouldn't have gotten through. Unfortunately I have discovered already that my biggest triggers are daily stressors and using alcohol to relax. That doesn't really work but I am only just figuring that out. I use the self talk big time and ride with the cravings. I can't say I know it will get easier as I don't know but I hope I find out. LisaDawn
10 years ago 0 1853 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Members,

Always remember your emergency plan when you get in a tough situation.

AVOID the situation. Identify the situations as one in which you'd be tempted to drink. For most, high-risk situations are times of the day, activities, emotions or even people that tempt you to drink or remind you of drinking. Plan how you'll avoid these situations. Plan for alternate activities.

LEAVE the situation. If you find yourself in a high risk situation, leave immediately or contact someone who can help you.

DISTRACT yourself from cravings. If you find yourself in a situation you can't leave and you get a craving, distract yourself from the craving by:
Thinking about something else, like your Coping Plan or Reward Plan or perhaps how the progress you've made or how your body is healing itself.
Do something else to distract yourself. Try drinking water or deep breathing exercises.
Thinking about an upcoming event in your life, such as a vacation.

DELAY acting on the craving If you can't keep your mind off the craving, then make a deal with yourself that you'll wait 15 minutes before you give into the craving. The craving will usually pass in a couple of minutes anyway. If you keep delaying, the craving will go away.

Use SELF TALK A craving may be accompanied by negative thoughts about your ability to resist it. Use positive self talk statements to combat your negative thoughts.

Members,  what emergency strategies have worked for you?  Any tips you want to add to this list?

Reading this thread: