Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

HelpPlease

2024-04-15 2:59 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.747 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,461 Members

Please welcome our newest members: splumley, Angelbaby, kencatly, jrawrz, AMARIAH BETTINA

Anxiety and Cutting Back

5 years ago 0 3 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I love this quote. Thanks for sharing :)
7 years ago 0 54 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
 " you never ever regret sticking to your plan"

I like that one. Every time I really want to drink and don't I feel glad about it the next day. Not once on such occasions have I said to myself "don't you wish you felt tired or hungover today?" 
7 years ago 0 13 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I am having trouble finding a balance between vigilance and fear.  I have made a list, but a positive one. Things like "all you have to worry about is following the plan today."  Or " you never ever regret sticking to your plan" 
7 years ago 0 11212 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
This is a great point freebee.

We have an acronym in the AHC G.U.A.A.T - Guard Up At All Times.  We have this acronym for a reason - people can slip when they get too comfortable in their quit. First of all, know your triggers and always be prepared for them. For example, if you know the end of the work day is a high trigger time - plan your evenings and have substitutions. Also, keep a letter or a list close at hand. This letter or list should include all the reasons why quitting is important to you. Write down whatever you think is important in order to convince your future self that drinking is not work it. When cravings hit be sure to pull this letter out and read it. Also, continue to post here and support others, this reinforces your quit and helps other people too.

Members, do you have any other suggestions? How do you keep your GUAAT?

Ashley, Health Educator
So far so good this week, haven't even been tempted. But today my confidence is shaken and I'm very anxious. The worry is stemming from the fact that I am NOT worried bout my drinking 24/7. I don't have urges, I am not feeling guilt and I am cautious, but not worried about having control of myself. This actually makes me worried; it's not as big a deal anymore so I am so worried I will get lax and slip back into regular drinking. Does that make sense? The fact that I am not obsessing over it and freaked out every second makes me worried I will go back to the mindset of regular drinking, remorse, obsession and worry. I guess I'm afraid I will get too comfortable. Any tips for staying vigilant?
7 years ago 0 11212 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Great job Freebee!

Taking it one day at a time is a great strategy at this point. Plan distractions and take good care of yourself. You are off to a great start!

Ashley, Health Educator
Thanks so much! my goal at this point is to have better control of myself and to limit my drinking. I realize moderation doesn't work for everyone, and I suppose I will find out one way or another. I realized that for nearly 2 years I have been drinking almost every day, getting drunk multiple times a week and I always felt guilt and regret after. The fact that it bothers me but yet I didn't stop made me see that this is a problem; one that could very easily snowball. I think to commit and to prove something to myself I need to abstain for an extended time. I'm also hoping this will decrease my desire to drink. I'm just very nervous, I don't trust myself yet.
7 years ago 0 286 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Welcome freebee,

Well done on your alcohol free day.  Coming here and being honest is a good first step.  You will find many others here who understand how you feel. 

I found that alcohol definitely increased my anxiety and negative thoughts. What is your goal at this point?  Really, at the beginning the most important thing is to not drink.  Gather all the tools you can to make this happen.  I found books, blogs, exercise and meditation very helpful at first.  I joined the 100 day challenge on tiredofnotdrinking.com

Good luck as you start out and keep posting here regularly.  
So I just had a totally alcohol free day yesterday, and it's Yoga Tuesdays so I know I wont drink tonight. I am feeling really good! It was easier than expected, and even though I know it will not always be easy I am celebrating a small victory. But I have an anxiety disorder and it's very hard to think positive. I had zero panic attacks last night, I have gotten very good at coping with breathing exercises and prayer, to be honest, but being under the influence exacerbates the situation; I freak out more and calm down slower. So, of course, this morning the thought enters my head - what if I screw up? I had decided on the next two days sober to start me off - a totally attainable goal that will have a big impact. But now, on day two I'm thinking about what comes next. It's very hard for me to take things a day at a time. Tips? Help!

Reading this thread: