Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,492 Members

Please welcome our newest members: anonymeLouise, RDANIELA NICOLE, Lfr, CPADUA, DSHAIRRA PE

Day 6 - naltrexone

4 years ago 0 37 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Apparently I took my sobriety and ran and completely forgot about this site until reviewing my online security/passwords in Google. I came across my account for this site. Thankful it exists. I still attribute my ultimate success to the miracle worker that is Naltrexone. My answer to your "other highs" question remains the same. Sobriety is my new high. Generally though I try to avoid feeling "high" or any sense of adrenaline peaking because I think that's something I used alcohol to calm. Zennnnnnnnn. I hope all is well. Thanks again.
7 years ago 0 69 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey Jessmess

Two weeks is great, but even bigger is getting through the pit falls of life without the booze. My life has not been a bed of roses since my sobriety, but dealing with things sober is defently less stressful and making sound decisions is a bigger help than ignoring problems or trying to drink till things make sense.

Sobriety is a high, it comes with self worth, self confidence and not living in a world of guilt and shame and illness.

Stay high on life 

D1
7 years ago 0 37 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
It's been 2 weeks now. Other highs...basically the high is sobriety now. Every time I do anything that I used to do drunk (so almost everything except go to work and drive) sober I feel a sense of pride and accomplishment. The funny part is that  during the past two weeks of sobriety I've taken a few falls, got sick, had migraines, took my mom to the hospital and saw my dog get very ill. Doesn't seem fair but it's a bit funny and I feel like I'm able to handle these things mentally better than I could when drinking. Still haven't had cravings either.

Side note - My dog became ill after a walk in the woods near where kids camp and party. The emergency vet visit resulted in a $200 verdict that our dog had consumed drugs left behind by the partiers. He's fine now. My boyfriend and I joke that in the 2 weeks that neither of us have drank, our dog decided he needed to pick up our slack and have a party of his own.

Still feeling worried and know I need to focus on coping mechanisms for when I'm off Revia but I'm just enjoying life for now without the obsession.

7 years ago 0 11213 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Amazing Jessmess!

I also like how you are looking to the future - with future goals. Have you made any progress in finding alternaitve "highs"?

Ashley, Health Educator
7 years ago 0 1009 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Jess,

Thank you for sharing about the naltrexone. It sounds like a solid solution for many people and Ive heard really god things about it.

Finding new activities to replace the drinking is such a positive thing. Just make a list of all those things you've wanted to do and start chipping away! What are some of the things you've considered. Exercise is very helpful if you've let that slide. The endorphins themselves give you a high. Motorcycles are awesome for getting away and getting some adrenaline going. You can't talk to anyone and you can only focus on what's happening in front of you. And don't forget nutrition!

The world is your oyster! Enjoy it!

All the best,

Dave848
7 years ago 0 69 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I found that I will not replace that high from alcohol, I do alot of things to keep busy,  I accomplish  projects around the house better than I did before I feel better mentally most of the time, less dragged down by life's problems but yet nothing has given me a high.

My guess is that the reprograming of our brains that take place,  the changing of habits, the reprioritizing of day to day life, getting over the shame and regrets we have carried for so long that then we will eventually find a new high.

Or you maybe an andrenil junky that needs to jump out of planes or ride the craziest rollercoaster to get the high your looking for whose to say.

But I do know that I do not want to go back to the alcohol high,  it became to short and drove me into new lows,  the price paid was to much for that high.

Keep in good spirits and enjoy your new outlook on, life.

D1
7 years ago 0 113 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Good for you, Jess!!!
7 years ago 0 37 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I had my doubts of how a pill might effect my drinking since NOTHING has helped with the obsession before. Even when I could go sober it was controlling my thoughts and life. This is day 7 of naltrexone and day 6 of sobriety. It feels like a miracle to experience the change in thought patterns about alcohol. I don't crave it and I find it easy to say "no" when the thought of alcohol comes into my mind out of habit.

The next challenge is to stay focused and aware of trying to find a substitute for that "high" in my every day experiences. 

Congrats to everyone else on their successes!

Reading this thread: