Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,491 Members

Please welcome our newest members: anonymeLouise, RDANIELA NICOLE, Lfr, CPADUA, DSHAIRRA PE

Start of a Journey....

4 years ago 0 557 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Holidays season...

I was hoping to be 4 months free from alcool when that time comes and see if I could be a moderate drinker but with it being so close, I do not think it will work. I really need to do that 3 months sobriety before thinking about it.
4 years ago 0 347 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
atp,

Congrats on one week and the loss of a few pounds.  You'll find that you can eat all kinds of things when alcohol is not in the equation, and consume less calories.  Not only does alcohol contain a substantial number of calories but when alcohol is consumed the body works to burn those calories first.  So basically when one is consuming alcohol, the body is only concerned with ridding it from the body, it pays no attention to the other calories that need to be burned.  So it's a win-win when no alcohol is in your body.  No extra calories and the body can work on burning the normal calories.  

According to Ashley, a health educator on this site, 3 months without alcohol is recommended by addiction counselors to change ones habits.  And I am a firm believer in this suggestion.  The suggestion caught me way off guard but I followed it and am now 4+ years alcohol free.  I truly believe if I had tried drinking before the 3 months I would be drinking today.  You mentioned the opportunities with the holidays.  You are right, there will be opportunities, but if you can get through those times you will know you can get through any time in the future.  

You have also mentioned the "freedom" from drinking.  That is one of the main reasons I wanted to stop drinking.  I was just so tired of the whole process.  Thinking about drinking is exhausting, which is why I never considered moderating once I realized how freeing not having alcohol can be.

Good luck to you in whatever you choose.

Lynn
4 years ago 0 11 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
One week today with no alcohol. 

I've adjusted pretty well so far. Drinking lots more water helps. I'm down a couple of pounds as well, thanks to saving all those calories by not drinking beer. 

Now I read somewhere to give it 3 months if I want to change my drinking patterns. It seems pretty hard to go 3 months with no drinks. I mean alcohol is just so prevalent be it a home, in a restaurant, at a gala dinner, etc. With Christmas coming I can see all sorts of opportunities. I guess being the designated driver is one way to minimize the temptation. 
4 years ago 0 347 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
atp, 

You should feel proud of yourself, 5 days is a nice accomplishment!  People that are able to go all week without a thought of having a drink have no idea what we are thinking.  That was one of the things that made me want to be a non-drinker.  I wanted to not think about alcohol.  

Good luck in your journey!

Lynn
Some people can go all week without a drink and not think about it. 

Here I am on my 5th day without and feeling proud of myself. 

Last night we had friends over and both wine and beer were being consumed. It didn't bother not to drink. I thought about it though. So it was a conscious decision to not drink. 

So today is day 4 without a drink for me. It feels good. 

Last night I was at the Leafs game. My son had a few beers, but for me I abstained; however, I was driving so no feeling of missing out on something either.

As I mentioned in my 'Looking to Change...' discussion I kind of stumbled onto the idea of cutting back or quitting drinking because I started to change my diet to lose weight, and I really awoke to the effects of my drinking. So far I've not really committed to quitting drinking. I suppose I am just taking this out for a test drive. Seems odd to decide to not have a drink ever again. But that is what I did when I quit smoking. 

Anyway, so far I am not having any major withdrawal issues. Feeling a bit thirsty and drinking more water. Not feeling like I need a beer or that I am missing it.

On the plus side I do feel a bit better overall - nothing exactly specific, just a general sense of well being. 

On my other discussion Lynn123 asked me:
Have you tried to moderate your drinking in the past?  You mentioned abstinence as something you may need to think about.  How does the thought of no alcohol make you feel?

I have moderated my drinking somewhat in the past 10 years. I've gone spells where I was drinking less. 
As for abstinence and thought of no alcohol, I haven't really gone down that path yet. So far I am just testing the waters so to speak. 

Reading this thread: