Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,490 Members

Please welcome our newest members: RDANIELA NICOLE, Lfr, CPADUA, DSHAIRRA PE, CLOVELY GRACE

Just a thought

4 years ago 0 347 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thank you Ashley.

hors controle, how did things go yesterday?
4 years ago 0 11213 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Brilliant observation Lynn123! Wonderfully written as well. Thank you for sharing. 

Ashley, Health Educator
I hope the first part of your day has gone well.  Wishing you luck for the 2nd part!
4 years ago 0 557 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thank you for your good words Lynn,

I did manage to schedule a few meetings for next week. It will certainly help my morale. I told my children yesterday that I had it under control but at the end of the evening I realized I was just lying to myself. I do not have it under control at all. 

I love being in front of clients, it is about the only social life I have. lol. It seems the more alone and lonely I am, the less I feel like talking on the phone, even with friends. It does increase that feeling of loneliness and I understand your saying about the psychological jail. 

I have made up my mind not to drink today. Wish me luck :-)

Have a great day Lynn and thanks for being here.
hors, controle

I'm sorry to hear your week did not start well.  I have no experience with working from home, but I can see how it wouldn't help with temptations.  Am I correct that you don't feel comfortable speaking with clients on the phone without wine, but you do feel comfortable speaking with them in person without wine? 

I'm not sure what I was feeling when I first stopped drinking but it wasn't happiness.  Psychological jail seems to fit what I was feeling.  During the work day I would find myself remembering that I would not be drinking that night and immediately feel a sense of loneliness.  Even if I knew I would be with my wife or going out with friends, the feeling was there.  The first few months there was little that was enjoyable about changing something I had done for so long.  But it did get better and kept getting better.  

How has filling your agenda helped you?  

Lynn
Hi Lynn,

Not so good. I am self employed and need to call clients to schedule meetings. I realize that since I have stopped drinking, I could not make any calls, I was paralized. SO, I went to buy wine. Never called clients without having wine in my body. I realized I will have to work on this. It has been 2 days now but I control myself, at least I think so. And I made appointments.

I need to get back into a work routine, get out of the house and meet with clients. I feel I am in some kind of psychological jail, do not want to talk to anybody.

My worst fear, I have to make my mea culpa with my children and I could not dare to do it yet...

I hope filling my agenda will help me. I give myself until November 1st to get back on track.

Thank you for being here!
Thank you hors controle.  I doubt I would be a non-drinker at this point in my life without this site, so I'm trying to give back.  I hope you have had a great start to your week.

Lynn
Thank you for sharing this Lynn, this is a very positive way of thinking.

I agree with you that we can trick our mind to go in the direction we want. It takes practice but it can be done.

You are a source of inspiration on this site and thanks again to be here.
4 years ago 0 347 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 1

Lately I have been reflecting on my journey to giving up alcohol.  I joined this site as a nightly drinker and found it hard to go just one night without alcohol.  Something had to change and I decided I had to give it up. Everyone here knows that giving up your “friend” is really hard but I knew I didn’t want that friend around anymore.  Everything about it was so time consuming. I was either drinking alcohol, thinking about it or recovering from it.  

This post is not to tell my story but to maybe give someone a different way to look at your journey.  This post is to say what worked for me, what gave me that boast in my tough times. I think the single biggest factor for me was what I mentioned before, I simply did not want to be drinker anymore.  Previous times of attempting to stop drinking I told myself what I couldn’t have.  When I decided I didn’t want to be a drinker anymore my focus shifted from what I was denying myself to something I could gain.  Not a long list, just one focus, to be a non-drinker.  

As we all know, the mind is a powerful and it can play tricks on you.  But we can play tricks on our minds too and I think that is what I did.  Rather than thinking about what I couldn’t have I thought about what I wanted.  In the tough times the desire to be a non-drinker won out over the desire to have that drink.  

Everyone is different and has to find their own way. If you’re current focus is not working, finding a new focus may help.  In the end, it’s what works for you. Good luck everyone.

Reading this thread: