Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-03-27 3:02 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Water

2024-03-17 5:24 PM

Healthy Weight Community

logo

What motivates you?

2024-03-10 10:30 PM

Quit Smoking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

DM555 3 3

Browse through 411.742 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,431 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Jgorilla, anna13, CCaballero, JJAY EVANGEL, VKATE DARLENE

new here and nervous

15 years ago 0 1693 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Good for you Ryan! Sounds like you are ready and motivated to make some positive changes in your life. Working out is of course an excellent activity! It is so great that you are getting back into something you enjoy doing.
Hang in there, and please keep us posted on how you are doing.

Breanne, Bilingual Health Educator
15 years ago 0 9 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Rick H thanks for the post...well ...Friday night was not at all like I expected...I ended up having more than acouple of drinks again...was fine until around 10:00 and then one decision to have a drink (actually a double) and then I wanted another...stopped at two doubles but felt like 20 when it is mixed with regret....woke up saturday feeling crappy...spent the day trying to figure out what I have to change and how to go abouit making thsoe changes...to embarassed to log on for the weekend..and then lo and behold I log on today and find Rick's post..great timing..or is it fate...anyway I have to seriously reconstruct where these cravings begin and how I make changes to get throiugh these moments of weakness.

I started working out again last week and was up early this morning to do just that...it is something I used to enjoy alot...somehow it got lost in the busyness of life....or was it the drinks in the evening that made me tired..and hence I never woke up early...anyway I am trying to change this pattern.

Rick I like your suggestions and hope to establish my own personal routine.. I have not had a drink it the last two days so lets see how this day goes.

Ryan 

15 years ago 0 151 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Ryan you bring up a very good point. How do you transition from Party mode to something else?What do you fill your life with? Many of us when we quit drinking feel this hole or void that needs filling so how do we fill that void? Another thing is when you are alone and that overwhelming nagging craving hits what can we do to get through this?

One of the first things I discovered that helped me was a regular routine that included getting up at a decent hour, eating properly, and social activities with people that don't drink and meditation and rest. I was told early on if I wanted to stay sober to hang with those that don't drink. Soon enough (which honestly felt like years) I was being invited to enjoy sober activities with these friends. I found hobbies that I had stopped through drinking and started enjoying them again. A big part of sobriety is learning to be happy and enjoy life without alcohol. This helps prevent HALT - four major triggers of relapse.

Hungry
Angry
Lonely
Tired

I find doing things that make me feel good about myself (good grooming habits, dressing clean, doing small things for others like opening doors for others or making someone smile by giving them one) help me feel more comfortable in my own skin which was one of the things I was trying to numb when I drank.

Sober living doesn't have to be dull - if you learn to live you just may find like I have that drinking itself was stopping me from enjoying life and liking myself .

So fellow members what are things that you do or would like to that will help you to transition?

15 years ago 0 11210 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thanks for the great post Ryan and never apologize for adding a long post!

I am glad to hear about your success. Hang on to that feeling for inspiration for this evening.  We will all be sending out positive energy! 

What will be your reward Saterday for getting through tonight?

Ashley, Health Educator
15 years ago 0 9 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Kelly Great news!! WOW you have so much to be proud of good for you! Hang tough.....you must be feeling great or at the very least feeling a little different than you normally do after a night of drinking I know that iI am.. I had my last drink at 1:30 am on Feb 17th.

I am still trying to figure out how I will redefine myslef from the life of the party guy..the guy who has everyones back etc etc etc..but I am staying true to just egetting through one more day

Each day is a challenge ...for me anyway ...lots of little voices telling me it is only one drink..what harm..so far I have been able ot dismiss the voices. last night was hard it is usually a night that I come home put my feet up watch a few shows like Greys or Private Practice and have a drink...but last night I didn't ..made it through until bed time and then woke up this morning feeling pretty proud of myslef.

Tonight another challenge but hey I am with you in trying to make it through one more night.I really really want to feel like this tommorrow Morning as Friday nights are a blur...and Saturday morning usually feeling pretty bad

Anyway so sorry for the long email..I really hope you are all doing well and staying the course. I am so happy to be back in the forum!!! Have a wonderful alcohol free evening and know that others in this world is going through the smae thing!
Ryan
15 years ago 0 12049 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Kelly,

Awesome success!

Take this time to treat yourself to relaxation, fun and sleep!

Josie, Health Educator
15 years ago 0 62 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
OK, so far so good. This is proving harder than I realised.... I guess I was still not sure how bad my problems were but at least I have now been sober for 3 days. And it was so tempting last night whilst I was sat watching TV to have a beer.... particularly as I am home alone for this week as my husband is staying with family to have some time to himself. But, I didn't.
And everyone's advice here has been great for me so far, thank you.
15 years ago 0 23 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0

I agree with foxman
Alcoholics come from all walks of life,rich people to the homeless!
But it is the person,who has the power,guts,determination,etc. who will be the richest people
spiritually,emotionally!

15 years ago 0 1562 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Alcoholics we imagine are homeless who live under a bridge or homeless shelter. Unfortunately thats not the fact, eventually we may get there if we don't die. Alcoholism is about losing control of drinking. There is something called physical craving that that happen until you pick the first drink, and then you end up drinking more than you originally planned.

Then there is the mental obsession that always forces you to take that 1st drink after a gap of few days or hours. And then if you don't, you are miserable: snapping at everybody you run into.

Once you reach this stage, you have no other option other than to abstain from drinking.

Only solution is a spiritual one.

15 years ago 0 955 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Kelly,

Thank you for sharing this experience with us.

It can be very difficult to admit when we need support or guidance. However, by posting here and reading the resources available on this site, you have taken the right steps to help manage successfully.

You mentioned that quitting cold turkey did not work for you. What was it about that quit that was unsuccessful? What other quit strategies were you using that worked or did not work?

If you’ve made the decision to change your drinking, you can expect many changes. Some changes will be long-term, others will be short term. Some of these changes will be physical, some will be emotional and others will involve changes in the relationships with people who are close to you.

In the short term, you can expect changes in your emotions and in how you feel physically. As your body gets used to operating with alcohol, when you stop or cut down, you’ll feel the effects of your body starting to function without alcohol. These effects are called “withdrawal symptoms.” How much or how many you feel depends on several factors -  including how long you’ve been drinking and how much you’ve been drinking.

Withdrawal symptoms can be very mild ? you may not notice them at all. Or, you may find you have trouble sleeping, have headaches or stomach trouble. If you’re having symptoms such as trembling or sweats you should see a health care professional immediately. These symptoms could be leading to convulsions or hallucinations, the most severe signs of alcohol withdrawal.

You can expect to feel emotionally upset, anxious or depressed. If you’ve come to depend on alcohol, you may experience cravings for a drink once you stop.

But remember: despite being uncomfortable in the short-term, in the long-term you can expect your withdrawal symptoms and your cravings to disappear. Although you may always remember what you enjoyed about drinking, focus on your benefits. It will get easier.

You can also expect that you might have to try cutting down or stopping several times before you reach your goal. Even though people sometimes slip in their efforts to stop or cut down, it’s been proven that if they keep trying eventually they’ll get where they want to go. Let’s not forget about the other side of this picture - the benefits of change. And the feeling of accomplishment you’ll have once you gain more control over your life and relationships.

Members, please feel free to join in and share any changes that you have experienced.

Sarah, Health Educator

Reading this thread: