Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,492 Members

Please welcome our newest members: anonymeLouise, RDANIELA NICOLE, Lfr, CPADUA, DSHAIRRA PE

I?m back and really need support

8 years ago 0 11213 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I'm sorry to hear about your slips but it also sounds like you learned a lot from them. We normally encourage members to avoid triggers early in their quits but when it comes to people we may be a bit more flexible. Have you talked to her about your goal? Would she be willing to spend time with you while doing activities that don't involve alcohol? If you can have her as a support that would be ideal!

Ashley, Health Educator
8 years ago 0 616 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thanks Ashley.  I did slip this weekend, but I am back on track.  I can't give up this time.  The triggers were very strong for me and I ended up caving in and having a couple drinks both Friday and Saturday night.  My best friend came over Friday and she is a huge trigger for me.  I know deep inside I need to avoid her for a while, but how do I do that when I love her dearly and really enjoy our time together?  This week I am determined to get through the entire week with zero alcohol and to keep going strong with no smoking.  Each step ahead is progress and I plan to work very hard.  

I hope everyone is doing well.  
Nice to hear you are taking good care of yourself while you are going through these tough days. Keep it up. It sounds like you are doing fantastic dispite the discomfort.

Ashley, Health Educator
Hi Ashley,

It's been a long time since we spoke.  I'm still holding strong although today is a bit more difficult as far as smoking goes.  They say third day, third week, third month are always the hardest when quitting, and today is day three.  I keep reminding myself I just have to get over this day and tomorrow will be easier. I admit I've thought about a drink, but again I tell myself no, that it won't do me any good and I'd end up REALLY wanting to smoke which is not what I need.  So for now I'm using one addiction against the other to stay on my path.  I poured a large glass if ice water with lemon, I'm loving it!

Today I decided to go shopping during my lunch hour as my reward.  Got some new clothes and a lovely pair of designer sunglasses.   

Hi Betterlife,

Congrats on the progress you have made. I was just going to talk about how overwhelming quitting both substances may be but it sounds like it is working for you. That is great to hear! It sounds like you are very confident in your choice which is very important. How are you rewarding yourself for all the hard work you are putting into this? Have you planned any rewards out for yourself big and small?

Ashley, Health Educator
8 years ago 0 27 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I do not know why. I do have a lot of stressors now. Buying a home. Teenagers and a little one. Loving but erratic wife. Just makes it all more numb and easier to deal with. But again when I was sober it wasn't any harder. Just can't get out of it. Thought I'd take it easier last night but still had a bottle of vodka 
I've come to realize that the addiction to nicotine is far stronger than the urge to drink. Because I'm trying to quit both habits at the same time, I find I'm obsessing about smoking, but couldn't care less about having a drink.  I find it rather interesting.  I thought when trying to quit both I would be in mental hell, wanting both a drink and a smoke.  Not the case at all.  Maybe this is what I needed to do all along because I couldn't seem to have one habit without the other.  In other words if I tried to quit drinking I failed because having a smoke and a drink together always seemed to be comforting to me.  If I tried to quit smoking, I'd use a drink as an excuse to smoke.  "I'll only smoke when I have a drink."  

The personiwantobe I would welcome any suggestions, I'm always open to help from others.  Sian I'm not much of a hobbyist, so tonight I decided to clean cupboards and vacuum floors.  I like to keep busy by housecleaning and doing yard work.  Tonight is not a great night to be outdoors so I chose to clean.  

Drew, what brought you back to drinking again?  I'm glad to see you're here and we're all here to support you.  I can relate to the health issues, this is what made me finally open my eyes to the damage I have been doing to my body.  As much I enjoy a drink and smoke, I need to think about my health.  I also have a 12 year old daughter who means the world to me, I don't want to kill myself with addiction and leave her without a mother.  She is my everything.  
8 years ago 0 13 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Im proud that you're trying to quit! I've been working at it for the last month, and while I've had a few slip ups, I've also really cut back, and it's getting easier to say 'no'. 

What kind of things trigger you? Knowing my triggered helped me come up with really tailored ways of addressing the reason I drink in those situations. We can help you come up with some ideas of you'd like!
8 years ago 0 22 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Never give up.  How can we help? We certainly can understand where you are at.  What is in your mind that you want to bllank out with alcohol?
8 years ago 0 27 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
So I did what I needed to do months ago to get life insurance for my family. I had high BP high liver enzymes and triglycerides. Monday's after weekends of drinking from 5am on I honestly thought a heart attack was going to happen. I worked my ass off for my daughter and got the highest bill of health you could get. Took months to get my liver enzymes down. Now I am really getting off track again. I am losing a battle. Felt so good when sober. I have no in between without that accountability of bloodwork on my liver. Lost and need help. 
Thanks

Reading this thread: