Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-03-27 3:02 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Water

2024-03-17 5:24 PM

Healthy Weight Community

logo

What motivates you?

2024-03-10 10:30 PM

Quit Smoking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

DM555 3 3

Browse through 411.742 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,431 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Jgorilla, anna13, CCaballero, JJAY EVANGEL, VKATE DARLENE

new to group forum and need advice

17 years ago 0 32 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Historian, welcome!!!! Making the decision NOT to go to the bbq is a good one in my opinion. Why put yourself through something you are not comfotable with. As you get stronger, meaning when you get to the point where you KNOW you can be around drinkers and say no and just drink non alcoholic beverages, then you can enjoy the company again. I have turned down soooooo many events this summer and have in my mind lost 2 friends over all the turn downs. But I now realize they were not true firnds, as true friends would understand my situation and accept me as a sober/non drinking person. It was hard, real hard to let go of them, but what I need is non drinking friends in my life right now and I found some. I haven't quite adapted to to them yet, like I did with my drinking friends but I'm sure, in time I will. You are a smart person to know that certain situations will cause you to drink and if you are serious about quitting or cutting down on your drinking, unfortunately, sometimes that leaves us to make new friends or say no to certain events we are invited to. Best of Luck to you and keep up the great attitiude. Had Enough
17 years ago 0 2 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Everyone , I am new to this forum, and a bit nervous about it thought that this would be a good way to start. How is everyone and I could really use advice- am drinking more than I used to and want to stop - have been getting drunk and doing daft things. My friend is running a barbecue this week and am not going becuase I don't trust myself not to be a prat :8o:

Reading this thread: