Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-03-27 3:02 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Water

2024-03-17 5:24 PM

Healthy Weight Community

logo

What motivates you?

2024-03-10 10:30 PM

Quit Smoking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

DM555 3 3

Browse through 411.742 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,431 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Jgorilla, anna13, CCaballero, JJAY EVANGEL, VKATE DARLENE

Hello, need to get control

4 years ago 0 557 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Sparky,

I am happy to see you so enthusiastic. It is inspiring. I just went to see about that book you mention. Would you recommend it?
4 years ago 0 347 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
That is a great goal you have Sparky61, and it's a goal that you can carry with you on your journey.  Nice job!

Lynn
4 years ago 0 2 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Good morning to all!

It feels great to be free of alcohol and sober today! It is amazing how awful alcohol mentally, and physically made me feel like crap. My goal in sobriety is to stay in the present moment ( I love the book "practicing the power of now" by Eckhert Tolle I am committed to unlearning my thought pattern of thinking of the past or worrying about the future! If I focus on whats happening right NOW, I know I can truly enjoy my life as it is.
Wishing everyone a happy, sober day!
4 years ago 0 10 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thanks for the advice on having a plan. I appreciate it!!
Dave

Thanks for the advice on having a plan. I appreciate it!!
Dave

4 years ago 0 347 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0

Dave57, a week is an awesome start.  You realize that you will be faced with drinking opportunities, and that’s good too.  A good next step to that realization is to have a plan. It doesn’t matter if it’s something you say or something you do, but knowing you have plan can increase the likelihood that you will make it through the situation.  

hors controle, you’re Post-It note idea is a good one.  Constant reminders are a good way to make it through the tough times.  Sorry you had a hard time today, but you made it through. Those little victories add up.

Sparky61, welcome!  

4 years ago 0 11210 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Good for you Dave57! Soon you should see your overall mood improve and your energy levels increase. You have lots to look forward to, even though it may not feel like that now. 

Keep us posted on how you are doing. 
Ashley, Health Educator
4 years ago 0 557 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Welcome Sparky61,

We are all in the same boat and you are very welcome to write anything that can help you. Congrats on your first day! It is the biggest move.

And Congrats Dave57!! One week already. You seem pretty determine. I am on my 4th day today. It is hard to remember why we quit when the cravings become too strong. I have put Post-it on my kitchen cupboards to remind myself of all the advantages of being sober. I looked at them a lot today. lol. It was a hard day.

Continue the good work, both of you
4 years ago 0 2 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi, 

Today is my 1st day on the site and my 1st day of sobriety. I am really happy to have a place to write how I am feeling
 and get support from people who understand. 
I am stopping cold turkey. So far it's been manageable, but it's only been a week. But still, I did a week. I feel better mentally a little bit. I am hoping to remember that feeling when I'm faced with the next"drinking" opportunity. 
Dave

Reading this thread: