Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

HelpPlease

2024-04-15 2:59 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.747 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,460 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Angelbaby, kencatly, jrawrz, AMARIAH BETTINA, HelpPlease

Obsessed with recovery, but not sucessful

4 years ago 0 11212 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Welcome Mikodaia,

I am sorry to hear about how you are feeling. Please know that alcohol often makes Depression and Anxiety worse. You may want to check out our sister site: https://evolutionhealth.care/, this site has a self-guided Cognitive Behaviour Therapy program for both Depression and Anxiety with accompanying support groups. This might be a great place for you to start.

Withdrawal symptoms can be very mild ? you may not notice them at all. Some symptoms can include having trouble sleeping,  headaches or stomach trouble. If you’re having symptoms such as trembling or sweating you should see a health care professional immediately. These symptoms could lead to convulsions or hallucinations, the most severe effects of alcohol withdrawal.

You can expect to feel emotionally upset, anxious or depressed. If you've come to depend on alcohol, you may experience cravings for a drink once you stop.

Remember: despite being uncomfortable in the short-term, in the long-term you can expect your withdrawal symptoms and your cravings to disappear. Although you may always remember what you enjoyed about drinking, it’s important to focus on the benefits. With time, it will get easier.

We are hear to support you. Please post as often as you like.

Ashley, Health Educator
4 years ago 0 557 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Welcome Mikodaia,

It is recognized that drinker are often anxious and depressive. Which one come first? the alcohol makes us depressive or the depression makes us drink... I do not know.

What I do know is that I am trying to quit too and it helps me to come and read the post every day, reading about people's trick about how they quit and the support I receive. 

You made a big step by beginning to think how alcool is affecting your life. Keep going, we are all on the same boat.

4 years ago 0 1562 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hello Mikodaia,
   A small percentage of population fall into a group who cannot safely drink alcohol ever. There is something within the body that triggers craving and we usually end up drunk. The worst part is the mind tricks us into taking a drink week or months later after abstinence. You may want to read the chapter "more about alcoholism" of the book Alcoholics anonymous, its available online at aa.org. You may also visit a local AA meeting, open discussion are open to anymore. You dont have to identify yourself as an alcoholic.  Good luck with your journey.
4 years ago 0 1 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
everyday I try to “wean” myself off booze. It doesn’t work. I’m terrified of withdrawal and what I’d do with my life if I was sober. My life has fallen apart after my partner decided to leave me  and I often think to myself “who cares?” And then take another drink. I don’t drink in public, even though I’m pretty reserved when I do drink. I have family events coming up and while I’m usually sober for them I just go home afterwards and drink like a fish. I need help but my family is counter productive since it just creates a stigma around me. My depression and anxiety rule my life, and I can only “cure” it with a large quantity of booze. I do not have any money or insurance for rehab. 

Reading this thread: