Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

HelpPlease

2024-04-15 2:59 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.747 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,460 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Angelbaby, kencatly, jrawrz, AMARIAH BETTINA, HelpPlease

Need some support, I,m new here

11 years ago 0 51 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Ellenbarkin,
I am 61 and am happy to read your post. I don't drink much around people, mostly when I'm alone...ALTHOUGH,
SINCE  I found this sight last sept. The amount I drink has been greatly reduced. I am very pleased and am continually working on making it even less. I keep my diary, it helps to look back and see over the month. It's encouraging to see the determination and dedication people have in wanting to have a clearer thinking lifestyle. Welcome to the group and keep on posting.....

11 years ago 0 11212 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Ellenbarkin,

There is some information in the FAQ page. You can look there for some basic instructions on how to post. The FAQ page link can be found in the footer.

To give you a basic description a forum is a topic area with many threads/discussions within it. The forum title you are in now (looking here) is called "Introduce yourself". The thread/discussion you are in now is called, "Need some support, I'm new here." To create a new discussion/thread you would need to chose a forum and then select "Start discussion" a link that is on the top left corner.

Hope this helps!

Ashley, Health Educator
11 years ago 0 5 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I don't know how to do that.  Can you elaborate?
Yes, I shortly had a few sponsors who were serious addicts and I couldn't relate.   I am now going to a church based recovery group for all kinds of issues which is going over the 12 steps.  I was interested in this site as an alternative to those. Why do you ask?
I wish I new how to use this site better.  Not sure what discussions, forums, threads, etc., are.  Is there a tutorial or something?
11 years ago 0 1562 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
 I tried AA several times but my history doesn't coincide with being an addict.

Hi Ellenbarkin,
   Can you elaborate a bit on what you mean by "tried AA several times"? Did you ever get a sponsor tried to work the 12 steps of AA?
11 years ago 0 11212 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Welcome ellenbarkin!

Glad you found us. You may want to start a discussion of your own to introduce yourself so that all members will have a chance to eMeet you

Ashley, Health Educator
11 years ago 0 33 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hello Ellenbarkin,

Who doesn't love her?  These alias' are very fun.  I wanted to say welcome since everyone was so kind to me last week when I somehow stumbled onto this site.  Since that day I have been continuously blown away by the power of this group.  I find it literally amazing.  Maybe I am so impressed in part because I am so extremely alone but whatever the reason it has been the Godsend I have always wanted.

The people on here seem to be like Ashley (educator) said, "strong fighters".   I love all these perfect strangers and the words of compassion, wisdom and experience from the educators simply blow me away daily.  I have drawn so much strength every single time I open this site.  I find it to be a wonderful support in my abstaining.  I kind of feel sometimes like I can't beleive it's real, it is so good.

So, tonight has been a very, very challenging night and I stopped what I was doing to get online here to read and connect and it is like a breath of fresh air.......giving me a renewed strength and committment to my goal of remaining sober, today! 

I gave away my half bottle of Tequila to my neighbor and the open pot I had as well.  he appreciated it, lol, but he needs this more than I do but I do realize that is HIS decision and not mine.  I just could not bring myself to pour that liquor out, for some reason.

I too am about your age, 56, and only found liquor at age 48 but boy howdy when I did, I didn't mess around.
I found the brand I liked and went to town with it.  I was never a bar person and I had no drinking friends so I was mainly a closet drinker too.  I simply did what I wanted.  I have no family or kids and I was employed so I would drink first thing in the morning, a shot or two, then again around lunch or whenever.

I mentioned never having bad consequences but I knew I was not living up to my potential since I was always buzzed.
I remember reading about Paul Newman and how as he got older he too slowed his drinking down much like you described.  I think that can be common.  My Dad did that too.

Anyway, I am glad you came and hope to read you again!

MC, I mentioned my closet drinking because of you.  My heart aches for your pain.  I could feel in words how desperate you must feel often.  Drinking alone was fun at first but later I just became angry and miserable.  Ashley is right you DO deserve your boyfriend and he is lucky to have you!  It is true.  She said it so well, there is so much help here and so much support.  Do come back.

I draw so much strength from reading everyone's posts, I hope you do too.  You are not alone.  You can do this.

Funny point for me is I never liked to drink with others as I do not like being around drinkers very much.  ha
They (me) are so boorish.  Your boyfriend must not be a big drinker, huh?  That's great, if that is true.

Having a partner who is living life the way you want to is excellent and waay better than the opposite.

I wish you the best night and hope to read your posts again.

I feel a million times better just for having come on here and venting, I feel so understood on here.
I have a ton of anxiety from life issues, losing my home, career, horse died, dog died, IRS problems, court issues...and more but like someone else pointed out what started out as a way to cope with all these issues turned out to be a bigger problem than any of them.
Those ar
I just joined today too. I'm excited to have an online forum to discuss this issue, get support and stay focused on my goal of quitting for good, one day at a time of course.  I've been having problems with drinking since my teen years and I'm now 60.  I've reduced my drinking a lot from my early days but still have out of control days.  I tried AA several times but my history doesn't coincide with being an addict.  I think I'm naturally getting away from drinking but want all the support I can get.  If there are any other drinkers with a similar history, I'd love to hear from you.

11 years ago 0 8 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hello Mariah,

I'm a social drinker and a closet drinker - I can relate.  I have also been dealing with depression and went on anti- depressants after my last child was born (5 years ago).  I tried to reduce in the summer and it was horrible.  But I think a big part of my depression over the past couple of years has to do with my increasing dependance on alcohol.  It's funny, you drink to get away from all the bad in your life but really you're just creating more.  

Reading this thread: