Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,490 Members

Please welcome our newest members: RDANIELA NICOLE, Lfr, CPADUA, DSHAIRRA PE, CLOVELY GRACE

Help! Quit date is May 10 (or sooner), and I?m panicking!

9 years ago 0 1140 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Roxy,

Congratulations on setting a quit date and having a good plan. Mental preparation goes a long way with this. (And I should know, since it took me 3-4 months to actually quit, once I had decided to do it.  ) 

So... words of encouragement:
1) Yes, quitting is difficult, but it's a lot more do-able than you think.
2) If I had understood the addiction and withdrawal process, especially the fact that it takes only 3 days to get through the physical craves, I would have quit years before I did.
3) Many quitters go through kind of a transformation during the quit process (which goes on from your quit date until the end of your life). For me, that transformation took the form of a greater sense of appreciation,wonder, and joy for life in general and for my life, in particular. Life is truly so magical, precious, and fragile. I am so happy that I'm no longer wasting mine with such a useless and deadly habit. 
4) Regardless of what internal or external drama you face during the quit process, it will end. With or without a cigarette, drama will pass. And it's always better to come through these things without a cancer stick hanging from your lips.  

Good luck. Looking forward to hearing of your progress. 
  • Quit Meter

$22,505.50

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 601 Hours: 13

Minutes: 13 Seconds: 21

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

9 years ago 0 796 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Roxy,
 Congratulations on inspiring your partner to quit with you. You haven't even started your quit yet and you already have people lining up to quit smoking with you .  I hope your partner will also join the SSC. Your mind wanders from positive to desperation in a day now, wait until you start your quit. Five minutes might be the norm.  But don't worry, it will get better the more days you get under your belt. Keep reading and learning, and keep the POSITIVE attitude with you at all times!
  • Quit Meter

$23,165.45

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 770 Hours: 19

Minutes: 22 Seconds: 55

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

9 years ago 0 2778 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey Roxy!!!

Preparation is key, so here's a good acronym to remember... The 6-P's:  "Proper Planning Prevents Piss-Poor Performance!"  

Crave your freedom! 

Jim
  • Quit Meter

$44,212.50

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 1058 Hours: 2

Minutes: 14 Seconds: 12

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

9 years ago 0 52 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Roxy, that is great you're a bit calmer and your partner will be quitting with you, too! I know I don't have a lot of days behind me compared to some of the others but I think you're sounding strong and ready and I know from my experience the panic feeling was normal for me. I still have moments but they are fading with each day that passes. Also, the changes you've been making are going to be huge with helping you to keep it for good, I think. The car thing, I can relate, I loved smoking in my car and I think it's because I'd cut out a bunch of other places that I smoked that it was my "ideal" place. I'm so happy I don't now, especially on a rainy, windy morning like we're having here and I didn't get soaked because my window would've been open to flick my smoke ash. Ahhh! ;) Hang in there and keep working on your plan and coping techniques, you can do it!
9 years ago 0 2 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thanks so much to everyone who replied! I don't know what happened to me... I panicked I guess!! My journey started a few months ago, where I made some really important lifestyle changes. I started eating clean, exercising daily (even joined a boot camp!), and stopped smoking in my car. Three HUGE things that will help me on my journey to quit for good. My partner has also decided to share my quit date!! I find my mind wanders from positive thinking to desperation, all within a day!! I have made a plan and am still sticking to it. Thanks Tim for the advice. I think I may just head out for a walk when the cravings hit me at their hardest!! Again, much thanks for the support!
9 years ago 0 2778 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey Roxy!!!

Welcome to the SSC and congrats for making a plan to attain your freedom!   It looks like you are going about it the right way by preparing for the journey.  I concur with Tim in that a big part of your preparation should be going through the Program and reading and learning from your new quit buddies here on the Forums.  If you have any questions, just ask or utilize the search button as Ashley recommended.  There certainly is a wealth of information here on the forums, years and years of inspirational posts!  Remember that knowledge is power and you will at some time need all of that knowledge power to maintain your quit!   

So, read and learn and  psych yourself up for the day that you take back your freedom!  It may very well be one of the hardest things you will ever do in your life, but I'm here to tell  you that it will be the most rewarding thing you will ever accomplish!    Keep us posted on your preparation progress and once again, a big welcome!

Jim
  • Quit Meter

$44,212.50

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 1058 Hours: 2

Minutes: 14 Seconds: 12

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

9 years ago 0 11213 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
You can do this Roxy! It will be hard  but the rewards far, far outweight the hardships. Keep doing what you are doing. You  might also want to use the search feature to look for discussions in the forums that pertain to you.  There is a wealth of information and inspiration on these boards.

What does your rewards plan look like? What and when is the first reward?

What are you most looking  forward to a bout being a non smoker?

Ashley, Health Educator
9 years ago 0 618 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Roxy,

Glad to see you posting in preparation....it's the best idea...to prepare!  Tim has given you really good advice here...do follow it as it will help you.

Also read some of the other posts on this introduction thread, especially the one by motivated!  There is advice all along the way.

Please don't be scared of your upcoming quit date.....be strong and determined....you will gain so much in your life by quitting! You have smoked for 15 years, and some damage may have been done, but not as much as if you continue.  Stopping now will be a real gift of life!  It will also boost your self-esteem so much.

I hope you can enjoy the preparation, rather than dreading the quit!

Love Lolly.    
9 years ago 0 796 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Roxy,
 To start off, it looks like you need to go through "My program" at the top of the page. It will help you determine what would be best for you on your journey of quitting smoking. I see you have your meter running already, that's a good thing. It's nice to keep track of your progress. Are you using your cravings diary here? If not, I'd start using it unless now you want to keep it private, then just keep a log offline on your computer. Your start date is a few weeks out. While you're waiting to start, read though the forums here. There is a lot of great information from fellow users and health educators. You'd be surprised how many people have the same issues you have concerning your quit. No two people are the same though, so what works for one person may not work for another. The thing is you just have to keep trying. If you stop trying the nico-demon has won. It's okay to be scarred too. It is frightening not knowing if you have the will power to do this or not. That's why you need to read and learn as much as you can. Knowledge helps lesson the fear and it builds up your confidence. If you know what to expect, you can be prepared for it when it happens. The best advice I can give you is that you need to have a positive attitude at all times. A "CAN-DO" attitude. You're a drug addict, addicted to nicotine. If you really want to quit you CAN do this but you need to be prepared. It's going to be a bumpy ride, but it will get easier as time goes by. You've already decided to quit, and that's a BIG step in your journey.  Machiavelli has some great tips too. Do whatever it takes to take back control of your life from that nasty cigarette. 
Grab hold and hang tight, I wish you the best on your journey!  
  • Quit Meter

$23,165.45

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 770 Hours: 19

Minutes: 22 Seconds: 56

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

9 years ago 0 361 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi,

consider nicotine as your enemy ,drink lot's of water ,eat healthy food,walk around the building walk the dog if you have one ,take a nap anything you can do to avoid smoke .Good luck.

Reading this thread: