Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,490 Members

Please welcome our newest members: RDANIELA NICOLE, Lfr, CPADUA, DSHAIRRA PE, CLOVELY GRACE

What?s on Tap For Your Weekend?

11 years ago 0 1140 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I have found that simply acknowledging and experiencing the anxiety or depression is helpful. Yeah, it can be uncomfortable, but trying to fight it by pretending it's not there seems to make it worse for me. Paradoxically, giving myself permission to just feel crappy sometimes allows that crappy feeling to move along and make room for better stuff. 
  • Quit Meter

$22,505.50

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 601 Hours: 13

Minutes: 42 Seconds: 37

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

11 years ago 0 22 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi all,
Yes, for me there is definately some anxiety/depression going on here. I've had a history of anxiety disorder anyway and was on antidepressants for years but got off of them a couple years ago. Since quitting the cigarettes (tomorrow will be 3 weeks), the blues seem to be more frequent along with bouts of anxiety. I have actually cried-sobbed! a few times and I'm generally not a cryer.

I'm trying to figure out still how to handle this but so far I've found that if I take as much pressure as I can off of myself (for example, give myself permission to NOT do chores/return phone calls/go through bills or whatever), for a few hours or that day, I calm down. There have been a few days that I've simply given up on what I was doing and left the house, driving aimlessly around for a couple of hours. I am trying to work out more as that seems to relieve some stress and lift my mood. And I am saving every dime that I used to spend on cigarettes...it's going to be great to see that money pile up!!
11 years ago 0 2508 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Working on it..Thank you for the support..

Red...

11 years ago 0 11213 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Willis,

Feeling down is a common part of withdrawal. In addition to withdrawing to the toxic chemicals smoking introduced, there are also many changes going on in your body.

When you smoked, nicotine triggered the release of neurotransmitters in your brain. These neurotransmitters are responsible for good mood. When you quit, it isn't uncommon for your mood to take a nose dive.

This case of the blues is temporary and until it passes, there are a few things you can do:

* Exercise as it releases endorphins and these are also conducive to good mood.

* Rewarding yourself with something pleasurable. This triggers the same release of neurotransmitters we mentionned.

* Get outside and get adequate rest as these also affect your mood.

Remember that in addition to all the withdrawal symptoms you are also making a HUGE behaviour change. You may feel like you are losing a friend. You may feel like you are really missing out if you don't reward yourself and find replacement behaviours. This is temporary. Getting over the behavioural aspect of smoking is tough but it can be done. Keep working at it and soon you will feel better then ever. Willis, did you feel down when you were quitting smoking? If so how did you overcome this?

Red,

Great Red! Relaxing without a cigarette sounds like another first . A reward does sound to be in order!

Ashley, Health Educator
Vincenza,
This may sound silly and like a little thing but last night aftera tiring day of being out all day walking here and there, at a farmers market in the morning and later at the park big city park in the afternoon..I came home and was able to finally relax and "just be" at home watching a British drama on Kpbs television broadcasting..No cigarettes No nicotine No running here or there. "Finally"  Just me relaxing without cigarettes..Today I am going to try to do a little relaxing reading...and maybe think of it as a little reward too while I am at it, not quite sure yet and see how that goes..

Thats the plan for now..

Red....
11 years ago 0 792 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Original Post by: Vincenza, Health Educator
Yes, very important point!  What do you do now to relax and "just be"?  What can you do to dissociate smoking from 'relaxing'?
Vincenza, Health Educator
Vincenza, Some members have talked about depression associated with their quit. Can you address the issue? Specifically is it possible that nicotine can mask symptoms of depression?
11 years ago 0 1140 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Well, my just relax routine this weekend has been to sleep, sleep, sleep. I suspect there is some quitting related depression going on right now. But hey, a little sleep never hurt, right/
  • Quit Meter

$22,505.50

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 601 Hours: 13

Minutes: 42 Seconds: 38

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

11 years ago 0 1853 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Yes, very important point!  What do you do now to relax and "just be"?  What can you do to dissociate smoking from 'relaxing'?
Vincenza, Health Educator
Good Morning--Tired Mommy--Thank you for posting...
I am rooting for us that we learn how to relax and "just be" now that we have succeeded at quitting..
It is a new way of being...

So in answer to the tread title..This Weekend I am going to put some effort into relaxing with my new self and into new life style as a non-smoker..

Thats the plan..
Red.....
11 years ago 0 76 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Red--I am with you---what you said, that it gets "a bit tiring trying to stay busy busy busy all the time" I feel the same way. I get tired of coming up with distractions and would just like "to be" but am afraid to, it is a trigger for me

Reading this thread: