Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,476 Members

Please welcome our newest members: DSHAIRRA PE, CLOVELY GRACE, kathleencabralmd, TestingDHA, JVICTORINO

A person who never Smoked, Really U know???

11 years ago 0 63 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Great point! Thank you I will not let it get to me! Cheers jmk
11 years ago 0 1140 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey JMK,

While none of us has exactly the same experience, I can relate to your struggle with other peoples' judgments. It can be very disenheartening to hear someone say, "Just do it," like it's that easy. At first, I chose to disclose about my quitting only with people that I trusted to be supportive. At this point, I still have not told certain people in my life that I have quit. I know that they have the potential to say some judgmental and damaging things that could possibly jeopardize my focus on staying quit.  

By the way, former smokers can sometimes be very judgmental, too. (Just so there is no misunderstanding, that does NOT apply to the individuals I've interacted with here.)  

I guess it's ultimately up to each of us to maintain our head space and focus when others say stupid things. But if you can avoid hearing those things altogether, even better. 
  • Quit Meter

$22,495.20

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 601 Hours: 8

Minutes: 41 Seconds: 8

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

11 years ago 0 11213 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
You make a good point JMK. Non smokers will never be able to fully understand what you are going through. In fact, you will never fully understand what another quitter is going through. So let's all be mindful of this while we support. Until you have lived the others person life you cannot fully understand what they are going through.

Ashley, Health Educator
11 years ago 0 2778 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey JMK,

Some do understand, many don't.  If they don't understand and and don't have the time to listen and try to understand, walk away like the breeze and breath deep!  Your time will be better spent elsewhere!    

Try to be calm, concentrate on the positives of your new found freedom and enjoy your smoke-free life!  That's what this journey is all about!

Jim 
  • Quit Meter

$44,197.50

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 1057 Hours: 20

Minutes: 19 Seconds: 15

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

11 years ago 0 63 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
  People that never smoked please don't tell me , they know what I'm going thro! You will never understand! Just quit and get over it, REALLY WFT ..All you folks on this site know what its like to fight this demon and please keep the thread alive!! People that never smoked please dont lecture me thank you! CHEERS ALL JMK

Reading this thread: