Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

New Year's Resolutions

Lynn123

2024-03-18 10:20 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Water

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-03-17 1:24 PM

Healthy Weight Community

logo

What motivates you?

2024-03-10 6:30 PM

Quit Smoking Community

logo

Myth or Fact

2024-02-23 3:25 PM

Quit Smoking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

DM555 1 1

Most Loved

Browse through 411.740 posts in 47.052 threads.

160,396 Members

Please welcome our newest members: GRHODA MAUI MARIE, Enordin, IRN, MNICOLE, AYNA NICOLE

Can Mindfulness Help you Quit Smoking?

a year ago +1 11209 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 2

Bump!

Have you tried using mindfulness to help you quit smoking? How do you incorporate mindfulness into your life?

9 years ago +1 6 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 2
Ashley:

Once in the morning when I wake up and before bed works for me.  Better day and better sleep. 
9 years ago +1 11209 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 2
Thanks for sharing Catnip. Breathing exercises can be so helpful. How do you remind yourself to do them twice a day?

Ashley, Health Educator
9 years ago +2 6 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 2
Hi, Ashley…I think mindfulness or anything like it will help.  I use breath meditation where I focus only on my breathing for about 15 minutes twice a day. It really helps to keep me centered and able to cope healthier than I used to cope when I would smoke over everything.  

Have a great night!
Aim 
9 years ago +1 2508 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 1
Your Welcome Ashley! 

Red :)

9 years ago +1 11209 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 1
Thanks for the bump Red :)

Ashley, Health Educator
9 years ago +1 2508 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 1
Bump...
9 years ago +1 11209 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 1
Mindfulness is a technique that can be helpful for depression, anxiety, anger, stress management, chronic pain and even addiction. When people practice mindfulness regularly it can actually change how the brain works. Take a look at this interesting article that discusses mindfulness and smoking cessation: http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/minding-the-body/201204/can-mindfulness-help-you-quit-smoking

One of the main points in the article was how to practice mindfulness for smoking cessation. Dr. Brewer, who was being interviewed in the article, suggested using the RAIN acronym which stands for:

Recognize the craving that is arising, and relax into it.
Accept this moment. Don’t ignore it, distract yourself, or try to do something about it.
Investigate the experience as it builds. Ask yourself, “What is happening in my body right now?”
Note what is happening. As you note pressure, dullness, tightness, or whatever, it becomes clear that these are nothing more than body sensations. You don’t have to act on them. You can simply ride out the sensations until they subside.”

Dr. Brewer explained that when we fully experience an uncomfortable feeling we take  the power away and gradually the feelings subside.

Are you feeling anxious or down now? Are you experiencing a craving? Try RAIN and let us know what you notice.

Ashley, Health Educator

Reading this thread: