Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-03-27 3:02 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Water

2024-03-17 5:24 PM

Healthy Weight Community

logo

What motivates you?

2024-03-10 10:30 PM

Quit Smoking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

DM555 3 3

Browse through 411.742 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,431 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Jgorilla, anna13, CCaballero, JJAY EVANGEL, VKATE DARLENE

Myth or Fact?

10 years ago 0 796 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Josie,
 It is a fact, and Penitent and Roses reply's about says it all.
A can do attitude wins the fight!

N.O.P.E.
  • Quit Meter

$22,996.05

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 765 Hours: 7

Minutes: 1 Seconds: 54

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

10 years ago 0 2508 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Yes Josie I would have to agree with you and Pen too..

The fact is that freedom isn't free and it does yes it does take commitment and courage. Yes I agree with Pen, it's not for the negative minded, the timid, the weak, the wishy-washy or faint of heart like Pen mentioned in his post. I learned this fact of life from a great teacher, my late husband a United States Marine. We fought many hard battles together all the way to the end. Know your enemy is something he used to say often. Now that was great advice..That I will never forget..He also said don't sweat the small stuff.  Both positives worth mentioning and remembering.

Yes I can see where it is important to have a positive mental attitude and positive support as well and to steer clear of negative people and feedback whenever possible especially in the beginning days, weeks and months of your quit. Quitting and more importantly staying quit is a battle worth winning and so much easier with Allies on your side..

Semper Fi
Always faithful,
then and now..

Red.
d3
10 years ago 0 2534 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I agree Josie but you can shorten the process if you are capable of adopting a positive mental attitude as opposed to a timid, wishy-washy approach which seems to extend the struggle.

I have been here long enough to witness both types of quit from one extreme to the other and it is clear to me that those blessed with the ability to adopt a positive mental attitude are far more successful and more quickly so than those who have less courage when facing up to the task in front of them.

Neither way is right or wrong; it is just that one way is quicker and much less painful than the other.

Hope you are well

Best,
Pen 

• Quit Meter

$56,397.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 1117 Hours: 1

Minutes: 56 Seconds: 34

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

10 years ago 0 2508 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thanks Josie..for posting these facts..this explains a lot.

This is something I never paid attention to on my last quit or even thought of but this time around I'll be paying attention and I'll be trying to go easy on myself..and will remember to give myself some time to recover both emotionally and physically from My quit.

I never really thought about it before but last time I was forcing myself to get on with it and didn't really let myself ease into it at all..
Not this time though..This time it's

"Easy Does It"

Thanks again Josie for this sound advice!

Red..
d2

10 years ago 0 12049 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0

Myth: Quitting smoking should be a short simple process.

Fact: The fact is, that smoking is a learned behaviour that takes a long time to unlearn. Allow yourself, both physically and emotionally, some time to recover from your quit and ease into your new lifestyle. This actual length of the quit process varies from one individual to the next but in most, if not all cases, it last much longer than initially anticipated.

Reading this thread: