Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

HelpPlease

2024-04-15 2:59 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.747 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,460 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Angelbaby, kencatly, jrawrz, AMARIAH BETTINA, HelpPlease

Your guide to quitting ? Being aware of the addiction mind chatter!

11 years ago 0 816 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
" I've done such a great job so far , one quick drag is like a little reward for doing so well ....." This is the junkie thinking that has sent me back to being a smoker in the past. My addict reasoning tells me that I'm doing such a wonderful job that maybe I can buy a pack and just have one when I really need one. Well , I did buy a pack and I did smoke the whole pack that day and did continue for probably another twenty years.  My addict told me that I deserved to have one when nothing could be further from the truth. In retrospect , yes I was doing well , and a smoke was the last thing I deserved. Anyway , this is the type of thinking that can sabotage the quit in a heartbeat. No one is immune. Smoking is a choice and today I choose to breathe fresh clean air. Stopping smoking is the best thing I've ever done and when I think about it it makes me happy. Nobody deserves to have a smoke for not smoking , how insane is that ? Excellent for us for not smoking today.  breather
11 years ago 0 187 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
"If I’ve come this far I can certainly come back and reach this stage again..."

This is the one thought in my head that drives me crazy.  I catch myself thinking this at least twice a day.  I have to constantly remind myself of how hard the first day was, and do I really want to go through that again?  It's too bad NRT's don't make those voices shut up! lol
11 years ago 0 11212 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Even if you are 100% dedicated to quitting withdrawal symptoms may put these types of questions into your mind:
  • What if I have just one tiny little puff? Is that so bad?
  • I’ve done such a great job so far, one quick drag is like a little reward for doing so well...
  • Do I really want to quit? If I really think about it I really like smoking and maybe I’m just the kind of person who smokes...
  • If I’ve come this far I can certainly come back and reach this stage again...

This is your addiction talking.

Veteran members, how did you counter this type of thinking early on? 

Ashley, Health Educator

Reading this thread: