Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,489 Members

Please welcome our newest members: anonymeLouise, RDANIELA NICOLE, Lfr, CPADUA, DSHAIRRA PE

How does smoking affect your body?

15 years ago 0 12049 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
pookie,

Day one is almost over so congrats on getting through it!  Plan for those days after the patch and see the difference it can make within your quit.

Ask lots of questions and post for support.

Ready when you are!

Josie, Health Educator
15 years ago 0 31 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
This gives me hope.  I borrowed 3 patches from my brother to get through the first 72 hours and then it's cold turkey.  I hate the smell in my car.  I never smoked in my home because of my daughter and pets, did you know second hand smoke can even kill your pets?  All of you are an inspiration to me.  Today is day #1 for me!

Cheryl
Brilliant!

Josie, Health Educator
15 years ago 0 135 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
We only realize how smoking destroys  our body when we stop.
Smoking really transforms us in human trash. 
I am over 6 months smoke free and still feeling and seeing the positive changes, physically and mentally.

When I look back I don't recognize the person I was:
depressed
sleeping problems
breathing problems
bad skin quality
I couldn't go up a 10 step staircase with out almost spiting my lungs out
I am much more sociable now, no rush to go home and smoke like a mad person.
I don't stink as an ashtray anymore
short temper ...now I am almost a monk
when smoking my self esteem was the worst possible due to feeling a failure  "IF I CAN NOT MANAGE TO STOP SMOKING I CAN NOT SUCEED ON THE MOST SIMPLE THINGS IN MY LIFE"
My family is soooo proud of me :)

Stopping to smoke was the most important thing I did im my life.

If you are new here, do believe the power of this site and the people that are here, the possibilities you will succeed does rise .
THE POWER IS IN THE MIND...FIND IT !

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 7/8/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 260
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 5,200
Amount Saved: $397.80
Life Gained:
Days: 36 Hrs: 18 Mins: 12 Seconds: 53

Ican,

Welcome, you are here now and that is what counts!  Look around, use the tools, program and tips to help get you started and feel the difference!  The members do know where you are coming from and they can help by sharing their experiences with you.

We are ready when you are!

Josie, Health Educator
15 years ago 0 916 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Wow Breanne!
This information confirms what I think: I made the best decision of my life! I'm giving myself the best gift I can ever give myself!
Marivi

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 1/23/2009
Smoke-Free Days: 60
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 900
Amount Saved: $90.00
Life Gained:
Days: 6 Hrs: 21 Mins: 50 Seconds: 13

15 years ago 0 1693 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Smoking and the Heart

The effects of smoking on your heart are devastating. Nicotine raises blood pressure and makes the blood clot more easily. Carbon monoxide robs the blood of oxygen and leads to the development of plaque deposits on the artery walls.  The plaque builds onto itself and causes narrowing of your blood vessels. This eventually leads to poor circulation, increasing your risk of heart attack, stroke, impotence and peripheral vascular disease.

Smoking and the Body's Organs

The digestive system is also affected. The tars in smoke can trigger cancer of the esophagus and throat. Smoking causes increased stomach acid secretion, leading to heartburn and ulcers.  Many of the carcinogens from cigarettes are excreted in the urine where their presence can cause bladder cancer, which is often fatal. Smokers have higher rates of deadly pancreatic cancer and all cancers in general. Many of the carcinogens from cigarettes are excreted in the urine where their presence can cause bladder cancer, which is often fatal.

The good news you ask? When you quit smoking your body begins to repair itself. Ten years after you quit, your body has repaired most of the damage smoking caused. Those who wait until cancer or emphysema has set in aren't so lucky. It's one more reason to take the big plunge and quit now.

Breanne, Bilingual Health Educator

Reading this thread: