Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

HelpPlease

2024-04-15 2:59 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.747 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,460 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Angelbaby, kencatly, jrawrz, AMARIAH BETTINA, HelpPlease

benefits??

15 years ago 0 1080 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
My benefits have been easier breathing, alot of extra cash in my purse, time.. (probably the best benefit of all, all the extra time I gained), my sense of smell improving (but this isn't always a benefit as you can imagine) white nails!! and not feeling alienated or a social outcast- maybe this is not so in your respective countries but here its becoming so unacceptable to smoke and people are far more likely to voice their distaste than they did years ago.
Yes the benefits certainly outweigh the habit.

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 5/10/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 265
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 6,625
Amount Saved: $3,975.00
Life Gained:
Days: 31 Hrs: 7 Mins: 32 Seconds: 57

15 years ago 0 1843 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
For me, telling my doctor I had quit was a huge benefit!  She was so proud of me!  Telling my dentist was great too as my teeth took like 1/2 the time to clean this past time since they weren't stained.  Getting hugs from people who never hugged you before because now you don't stink.  Not taking smoke breaks, and in this economy, you want to be seen working as much as possible and not always heading outside for a smoke.  While you may spend a bit more money on snacks, rewards, NRTs, etc at the beginning of your quit, the scale will tip in your favor shortly!  Doesn't it feel better spending money on something fun vs. another carton of smokes?  My health and medical insurance cost dropped since I marked myself as a non-smoker when I did the yearly paperwork in December.  Smelling fabric softener on your clothes.  Smelling your cologne instead of smoke.  You don't have to run outside after the appetizer, main entree, and dessert to smoke, leaving your dinner guests sitting in the restaurant without you. To borrow a line from Julie Andrews....these are a few of my favorite things!
My Milage:

My Quit Date: 8/20/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 163
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 6,520
Amount Saved: $1,304.00
Life Gained:
Days: 24 Hrs: 9 Mins: 22 Seconds: 49

15 years ago 0 11212 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Great idea grrr.  There are tons of benefits. A few off hand: you will have more energy; your sense of taste and smell will improve, you will not be affecting others around you with your smoking; your circulation will improve.  There are lots more lets keep them coming!

Ashley 
15 years ago 0 18 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Yes. I agree Angie.
As hard as it was, I had more self-respect for not smoking.

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 1/29/2009
Smoke-Free Days: 1
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 18
Amount Saved: $2.61
Life Gained:
Days: 0 Hrs: 5 Mins: 33 Seconds: 52

15 years ago 0 355 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hmmm.  Well, early improvements with smell (I guess that could be taken as my ability to...or actually how I smelled - both).  And when I slipped on my last quit, about a few days after I began smoking again, I thought I was getting a sinus infection.  Then I realized that my sinuses were like that when I smoked but clear when I didn't.  That's a plus.  Biggest benefits are more time, and the pride I get in not smoking.  I'm a person who has lacked self discipline my whole life!  This has been an eye opening experience for me.  To find pride in myself for what I'm doing for myself...it's a great, great feeling.
You're both doing great!  Grrr, as a Mom, that pic makes me a little edgy! And what in creation is quading?  Gotta look that up.
Angie

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 12/30/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 31
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 372
Amount Saved: $163.68
Life Gained:
Days: 2 Hrs: 19 Mins: 1 Seconds: 30

15 years ago 0 18 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Grrr...
Love the photo. That's me in it 44 years ago. I still do it.
After 8 days I could breathe deep and the tightness in my chest had substantially diminished. Less scratch in the pockets as patches, gum and vitamins don't grow on trees. Neither do the frequent "rewards".
My sinuses began to clear up (I've been battling a sinus infection since March '08).
But I blew it.
I'm told it's a process so I'm not going to beat myself up...just get back on the bandwagon. I need to figure out what to do with time when not at work as work is the only place my mind is almost totally consumed with the business at hand.
All the best to you.
Be on guard though....I had it pretty easy until day 4 and a few others said the same thing.

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 1/25/2009
Smoke-Free Days: 4
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 72
Amount Saved: $10.45
Life Gained:
Days: 0 Hrs: 19 Mins: 22 Seconds: 44

15 years ago 0 19 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
i'm just wondering what kind of benefits people are seeing after they have quite for a period of time  (1 week one month one year or whatever) I have only been smoke free for four days and already i seem to be able to breath a little deeper my fingers and clothes don't stink and i have some extra scratch in my pockets.if i posted this in the wrong spot feel free to move
My Milage:

My Quit Date: 1/25/2009
Smoke-Free Days: 4
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 80
Amount Saved: $38.00
Life Gained:
Days: 0 Hrs: 14 Mins: 19 Seconds: 4

Reading this thread: