Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

HelpPlease

2024-04-15 2:59 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.747 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,460 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Angelbaby, kencatly, jrawrz, AMARIAH BETTINA, HelpPlease

What now!

17 years ago 0 19 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hello Riverdale Man, your struggle touches me a lot and will inspire me a lot as well, I know it. You are feeling, you have emotions, they may be pain or overwelming but it means to me you are 100 % alive and even more maybe and I find it beautiful. Since I stopped, it feels to me like I have more time, I give myself more time to reflect on what i feel. I don't need to constrain/feed one emotion with one cigarette anymore, framing one emotion by one cigarette, throwing the whole package in the rubbish and move on till the next, 1 emotion covered up by one cigarette, rubish, move on... I don't know how far this is just me but I have the impression we are more naked towards our emotion when we are smoke free, don't have a buffer so much anymore but this is what may make us more able to deal with them, more sensitive to listen to them, more honest towards them. Anyway, hope you are ok or better right now and i am sure that whatever you felt, however hard it was, you learnt something from it and as well that you could do without any fake-on-the-spot substitute. Keep just being exactly as you are, Rai. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/1/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 18 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 561 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] �72 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 1 [B]Hrs:[/B] 7 [B]Mins:[/B] 58 [B]Seconds:[/B] 32
17 years ago 0 420 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
RD Man, I've only been on this site a couple of weeks, but your posts and encouragement to others means more to them than you can ever imagine. I don't know what you are going through, and have no way of understanding, but hang in there, and know that you are important to a lot of people. I don't think you will smoke, because you know it will make you feel worse. You are in my prayers. Peace - [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 12/31/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 16 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 169 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $30.88 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 1 [B]Hrs:[/B] 23 [B]Mins:[/B] 5 [B]Seconds:[/B] 19
17 years ago 0 591 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Riverdale Man As a 10-yr Non-smoking (quitter) and then a Stupid restarter... I do feel experienced in knowing what you are going through. You've heard the expression, "If I could go back..." What I would have done then, knowing what I know now...Get to a counselor "Quick"...!!!!! ASAP....OR A DOCTOR... Nicotine...mask depression... and your old nicodemon buddy is telling you how you used to cope with depression...unconciously. It is a fact that nicotine is one of the ways we "self-medicate" and in our ignorance...do not even realize it. DON'T DO IT...(trust me on this one..been there, done that!!!) auntdeb [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/1/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 19 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 977 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $90.25 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 2 [B]Hrs:[/B] 16 [B]Mins:[/B] 33 [B]Seconds:[/B] 24
17 years ago 0 1150 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I wish some of the long-timers would respond. Maybe they will. I'm a newbie here and every quit is different. I can tell you that in my 11 year quit I passed over. It did take years for me (I'm slow), but there came a point when I realized I was in the clear. The clear being the next 10 years. The junkie is the best kind of enemy b/c it is from within. its weapon is ourselves. For 10 1/2 years I was a non-smoker. I didn't hear any junkie thoughts. I was never tempted. not one craving. not one thought. I had some stressful times in there -deaths, births, job gains and losses, a troubled marriage. Luckily for me, nothing worse than that. I'm gonna cross over again. One day it will click for me and it will do the same for you. Up until this point you have been an extraordinary quitter. I will tell you now that I was worried when I read what you wrote in your thread about lingering behind a smoker, but feeling strong in the benefits you have gained from not smoking. You sounded confident so I didn't say anything. But, I can tell you this, non-smokers don't do that. For 10 1/2 years - I didn't do that. You need a Tuesday "CLICK". [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 12/29/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 17 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 179 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $85 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 1 [B]Hrs:[/B] 16 [B]Mins:[/B] 52 [B]Seconds:[/B] 49
17 years ago 0 985 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Dear Phillip, You have been such an inspiration to so many - myself included. You have come so far and you are quite obviously facing many things right now in your life and all I can offer to you is the idea that you already mentioned.. To go home, to your safe place, take a long hot bath/shower to relax some, and then either put your feet up and chill for a while or go to bed and wake up to a brand new and clearer day. Whatever you do, please call a friend, go to IM, or come back here to post again. I just started my 3rd quit hon.. I'm feeling stronger and more celebratory about this quit because of the people here.. because of YOU and what you've said/written. Please don't succumb.. we're here.. ((((((((Phillip))))))) Monica58 [IMG]http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o304/Monica58/Angel.gif[/IMG] [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/12/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 3 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 75 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $27 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 10 [B]Mins:[/B] 11 [B]Seconds:[/B] 2
17 years ago 0 985 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Phillip.. I went back a wee bit and re read your earlier post of Jan. 11th when you were going through, what sounded like a very stressful situation. If you ever need to talk about the "IT" thing which you referred to (which keeps getting deleted).. I am on IM .. you could leave me your email addy.. I'm just offering you an outlet in order for you to get it out. I know you don't really know me.. but I am a very good listener. Anyway, it's just a suggestion. Do what is best for you dear... but at least the offer is out there for you. Monica [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/12/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 3 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 75 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $27 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 10 [B]Mins:[/B] 12 [B]Seconds:[/B] 11
17 years ago 0 2670 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
philip i am sorry i am late with this, i am sorry you are going through a stressful time we are all here for you hope you are feeling better just DON'T SMOKE hugs lynnexx [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 10/24/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 83 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,259 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] �332 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 9 [B]Hrs:[/B] 10 [B]Mins:[/B] 44 [B]Seconds:[/B] 7
  • Quit Meter

$113,497.50

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 6489 Hours: 12

Minutes: 17 Seconds: 34

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

17 years ago 0 738 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
RD Man, I am here to tell you that the return to smoking does only one thing. It wakes up the nicotine receptors in the brain and they start screaming for more. And more. And so on. Like hungry baby birds in a nest. And I know that you know that you are too far along this road to come back and join me here in the doldrums between smoking and quitting; hating myself and them yet still doing it; and I also truly believe that the nicotine receptors have made one last attempt to get you to give in and if you just hold on that little bit longer, they will go to sleep and not bother you much ever again, regardless of any stress in your life, or lack thereof. You are so honest and straightforward, I can not imagine you not tackling the issue face forward and aboveboard, what ever it may be. Smoking does not give you escape, either. Because as Lady said, we know too much to go back to ignorance. The love inside, you get to take it with you... so take the love outside, as well. Denise [IMG]http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p300/DeeKaySss/Green_choco.gif[/IMG] [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/17/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] -1 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 0 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $0 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 0 [B]Mins:[/B] 0 [B]Seconds:[/B] 0
17 years ago 0 2631 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I think that's what I miss sometimes....the numbness...the ability to make the rest of the world go away. When I think about the fact that I miss this it makes me remember how much I hated the control that smoking had over my life. Before I quit, I would get up and go to work....I would come home, log endless hours on the computer and chain-smoke. This mindless activity mean't that I never had to deal with boredom, stress, anxiety or any other issue in my life........but it also mean't that I started to have NO life. I don't suppose we were that much different than alcoholics who drank their problems away or cocaine users or any other addict. Our addictions became our way of coping and they, in turn, took over our lives. You are right.......smoking will not make any of your problems go away. Go home, have a good night's sleep and think "What are you going to do about this?" Good luck Phil...wish I had the cure.... Windy [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 9/11/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 126 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 2,535 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $630 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 12 [B]Hrs:[/B] 8 [B]Mins:[/B] 22 [B]Seconds:[/B] 41
17 years ago 0 2039 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
River, Sorry I missed this post last night. The perils of day three were catching up with me and therefore all I did last night was throw a big blanket over me and watch tv. Better this morning. I know you are going through a rough patch in your life right now. I can feel the pain in your post. And you know smoking would only make you feel worse. I know you won't smoke. You don't want to feel that horrible guilt all over again. I spent most of last year stopping and starting, and I lived that guilt and miserable feeling over and over and over. I wish we could all come through your computer screen and give you a big ((((hug)))). You have been a wonderful source of inspiration for me, and I know right now you are digging deep for your strength, but its there non the less!!!! One day at a time. No more. No less. Here for you any time you need it. Give your beagle a great big hug. You'll both appreciate it. Thinking of you, Jan [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/13/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 3 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 98 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $27 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 8 [B]Mins:[/B] 51 [B]Seconds:[/B] 16

Reading this thread: