Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-03-27 3:02 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Water

2024-03-17 5:24 PM

Healthy Weight Community

logo

What motivates you?

2024-03-10 10:30 PM

Quit Smoking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

DM555 3 3

Browse through 411.742 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,431 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Jgorilla, anna13, CCaballero, JJAY EVANGEL, VKATE DARLENE

Short Fuse / ANGER / Relapse - here we go again ?

17 years ago 0 852 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Wow, firstly let me thank Casey for copying Josie's words. They are right on the button........... Secondly, for Kiwi: I had a friend that was going through a horrible divorce. His divorce was brought on by his ongoing drug habit. When he had no one else left in his life, he came to us. We had always been his friend, no matter what. He lived with us for a year and a half. Through that time, I watched him go through his withdrawls, and his anger with his wife. His wife wouldn't let him see the kids, and took everything but his truck and sold it. Changed the locks and slammed a restraining order on him. He certainly did not deserve that kind of punishment. His anger then got out of control. Unfortunately, while off drugs, he turned to anger and alcohol. We had to let our friend go, for the sake of our children. However, at that same time, he woke up. He realized what he was doing, and what he did. He sobered up enough to get his butt into AA. Upon his first week there, they recommended he start anger management classes. At first he was very against it. Then he realized that they might be able to help him find a way to stop the anger before it comes. He needed to give it a shot. If not, he would never see his kids! Long story short, he took the classes. 12 months worth! It really has helped him. He is able now to control his anger. He knows what to do when it comes, and he knows what to do to stop it. He still has his days, but the classes did wonders for him. I even considered taking them. As a part of the healing process in my quit. These wild emotions are hard to deal with sometimes!! I think everybody needs some sort of anger management classes at some point in their life. Something to think about.......................... :| [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 3/5/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 68 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 2,059 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $222.36 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 5 [B]Hrs:[/B] 12 [B]Mins:[/B] 35 [B]Seconds:[/B] 27
17 years ago 0 672 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi fellow addicts. I've always had a bit of an attitude & a 'short fuse' if you like. Since i've stopped smoking i've noticed this fuse has shortened drammatically. I've always had this 'i don't care what people think' attitude but even i'm starting to bug me, so i cant imagine what others think if, they think at all. I know we all have to 'be positive', 'adjust', re-program & 'sort it out !' due to the no 'self medication' but i'm getting tired of watching how i react & what i do. I'm genuinely worried that i'm gonna blow one day and do some irreprable damage. If this is the 'new me' i'm not shure i like it !. My wife tells me i've always been like this, but i think she's just saying this so i don't smoke. Anyone else have this problem ? :quest: [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/1/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 496 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 12,414 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $3224 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 71 [B]Hrs:[/B] 3 [B]Mins:[/B] 33 [B]Seconds:[/B] 47
  • Quit Meter

$12,370.80

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 618 Hours: 21

Minutes: 40 Seconds: 47

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

17 years ago 0 5195 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
kiwi... look at your stats. What would really set that short fuse off is if you were to smoke again. You are in control of yourself. I tell my children all the time.. You know the difference between right and wrong, it is up to you what kind of person you want to be. Before I quit smoking, I was angry and bitter. To be honest, I wasn't a lot of fun to be around. Since quitting I have taken the opportunity and changes to redefine who I am. I still have a ways to go and am not where I want to be but I am working on it daily. Do not expect overnight changes. Just like the quit, it takes time to adjust. You just take it one step at a time. Think before you speak. The beauty of our God given free choice is that we have the option of changing who we are at any given moment. You accomplished the impossible task of quitting smoking. You can do anything. Believe in yourself. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 7/1/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 315 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 6,315 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1102.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 27 [B]Hrs:[/B] 19 [B]Mins:[/B] 51 [B]Seconds:[/B] 24
17 years ago 0 579 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Kiwi, I am not an expert on anger management, but I know there are techniques and skills that you can develop. It might be worth exploring some of these - it's probably one of those things where you have to find the right thing for you. It's quite interesting about how people deal with 'situations' - the fight/flight/freeze reactions. If you are 'holding in' adrenalin, then it affects you chemically and temper wise. Anyway, I find exercise or sport helps a whole lot to release unused adrenalin.....a punchbag is pretty good too...I've always fancied one of those. The other thing you mentioned is that you are afraid that you might smoke. Now you have been quit long enough to know that this is your inner junkie who is 'probing' to see if he can find a chink in your armour. Every now and then we may entertain thoughts of smoking, and if you let those thoughts grow, then they will get louder. Know this - if you chose to smoke, then that is your decision. You are the one who puts a cigarette in your mouth, you are the one who lights it. No matter how angry 'someone else makes you', it is YOUR call. Another thing is that I have been around the SSC for some time- I've seen plenty of people come and go. Those who restarted smoking come back and say how much they regret. I don't remember anyone coming back and saying how it solved their problems. I think you know this somewhere inside you. I wish you well Kiwi. Lizzie :) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 4/23/2003 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 1115 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 16,734 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] �5017.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 108 [B]Hrs:[/B] 13 [B]Mins:[/B] 4 [B]Seconds:[/B] 33
  • Quit Meter

$8,802.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 778 Hours: 17

Minutes: 13 Seconds: 52

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

Reading this thread: