Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

HelpPlease

2024-04-15 2:59 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.747 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,460 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Angelbaby, kencatly, jrawrz, AMARIAH BETTINA, HelpPlease

One man's opinion on "the quit meter"

18 years ago 0 537 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
No Apologies are necessary! And I don't need an excuse to smoke. I chose not too... thats all. :) Ron [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 3/12/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 19 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 683 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $128.25 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 3 [B]Hrs:[/B] 0 [B]Mins:[/B] 35 [B]Seconds:[/B] 51
18 years ago 0 537 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey Rob47 I don't want to be a jerk... but after reading the posts... it sounds like you have the issue with the meter. I don't. Let people do what they want to do. Kind of like posting in the wrong spot... heaven forbid. Ron [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 3/12/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 19 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 680 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $128.25 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 3 [B]Hrs:[/B] 0 [B]Mins:[/B] 12 [B]Seconds:[/B] 12
18 years ago 0 506 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
fairy- (re: the alcoholic analogy) The argument assumes he/she can stop after one beer. Quite an assumption just there. Let's assume he/she does stop after one beer. A week goes by, feels pretty good about "having control" over it, buddy gives him/her a beer,: has another "'cause it was so easy last time". Brain says "yum yum". 3 beers,4,12... oops, slipped. If I stay quit for 3 years, I don't want to take the chance; would you? Interesting though,...in a very frightening way! Bob [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/18/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 34 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,397 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $306 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 5 [B]Hrs:[/B] 17 [B]Mins:[/B] 47 [B]Seconds:[/B] 20
Well, Iwin, how much is the book? And Phil (I don't know why- you're like a fraternity pledge-brother or something!)the jerk finally finished my bathroom. Actually- he started the day after I quit. I'm pretty sure he won't be working on any more projects in this house. Well....I could have been a lot worse. I could have had a cigarette or 40 as it goes with me. So I got a little pissed...just wasn't pointing a cigarette in his face. But then, he sucked. Oh well, the outcome ultimately was good. It finally got done right and I didn't smoke. Hey, like really seriously going after this quit! (I'd like to say that bit of verbal diarhea was planned to come together so perfectly, but it really was just coincidence!) n.o.p.e, n.t.a.p. w.h.a.t.e.v.e.r. Bob [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/18/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 34 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,395 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $306 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 5 [B]Hrs:[/B] 17 [B]Mins:[/B] 36 [B]Seconds:[/B] 16
bump for Mike, and the cigar that ate my brain (and quit meter) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/18/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 35 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,422 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $315 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 5 [B]Hrs:[/B] 20 [B]Mins:[/B] 15 [B]Seconds:[/B] 22
Well, I don't know (Chris and Fairy)...just read the thread about the Cigar smoker and see where this sort of thing got him (and I believe he's going to set back his meter, btw!!)....I think that being an addict means you NEVER touch the stuff again. So dangerous. Oh to be a "social smoker". Well I wanted to be an astronaut too, but all I got was being "spaced out" withdrawing from cigs!!! You got it Phil- N.O.P.E. Bob [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/18/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 35 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,422 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $315 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 5 [B]Hrs:[/B] 20 [B]Mins:[/B] 13 [B]Seconds:[/B] 49
bump to me [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/18/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 34 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,380 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $306 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 5 [B]Hrs:[/B] 16 [B]Mins:[/B] 5 [B]Seconds:[/B] 23
I guess what makes me feel so strongly about this is that if I were to have even one puff, the impact on my psyche would be so intense that I know I would be unable re-engage the quit for a long, long time...if ever. It's obviously not just about "the meter", "the trinket" or being "unforgiving" in my case. The addiction is so strong, in my case, that it wouldn't be a matter of setting back the meter, if I slipped, because I would be gone from the group...smoking 2ppd again. This is not a grey issue for me. And all the flowery messages and smiley faces and encouragement to get back on the wagon wouldn't help an addict like me. It is almost enviable that some of you are capable of slipping and bouncing back, for you either have greater self-control than I do or your addictions are less mentally overwhelming...really, I don't know what the difference is. I can't slip and get up, I fall hard. This is hardly my first attempt- more like my tenth; I know what happens to me subconsciously when I had that puff before. It was the end of the quit. My mind would say I was tough enough for the puff, then the entire cig, and boom, 2ppd. 3 months was my longest attempt, but that was with a number of cheats, so really it was a bunch of 3 day quits with puffs/cigs over a 3 month period. I can't say I was smoke free for that. Just trying to convince myself. Finally I just smoked. My goal is to get past that 3 month period where I start to feel freedom from this and really know I was smoke-free. I realize I'm projecting my feelings into this....believe me. I'm hardly deluding myself that my opinion in this will set policy for the SCC regarding the quit meter, nor should it. I'm involved in a local Nicotine Anonymous and looking into another group because I realize, for my addiction, I need a tough approach to smoking cessation. This group has been a big help, especially because I can sit here in my pj's and go on and on. Keeps the old fingers busy too! Anyway- I still feel quite stongly about this and won't apologize for it. But the ultimate goal is quitting and however that gets done...go for it! Bob [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/18/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 34 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,380 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $306 [B]Life Gained:
I know slipping has been talked about ad nauseum. Forgive me, but it seems to be happening even more with our politically correct stance on it. I understand it, we all do, but can't we be honest with ourselves if and when it happens? I have to say that if I "slipped" (I fell and a cigarette on the ground just jammed into my mouth, lit itself, and I accidentally inhaled)I wouldn't set my quit meter back. But if I lit one, inhaled deeply, etc....I would have to set my quit meter back because I intentionally smoked. Otherwise, what does the meter mean to ME or any of us. I mean, when I reach 365 days according to my "meter", but I've had a smoke here and there....who am I kidding? Certainly not myself since I would know the truth. What's the difference between that and cheating on an exam. It looks like you got an "A" but really, you didn't. It cheapens the value of the meter for those of us who are being honest with ourselves and others on the site. And having to set back your meter should be a scarey consequence of giving in or what's the point? There are far greater consequences to giving in than the meter; setting the meter back is the least of it, but one I FEEL is an appropriate negative incentive. I know I'm one puff away from 2ppd. just my opinion. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/18/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 33 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,345 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $297 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 5 [B]Hrs:[/B] 12 [B]Mins:[/B] 34 [B]Seconds:[/B] 56
Always a heated discussion- this one. Shevie, I do see your point and you're probably a nicer person than me, but you did give bad examples: Cheating gets you kicked out of school and there is a huge issue of survival if one falls 2/3 up Everest. Anyway, this is an interesting thread, if nothing else can be said for my opinion. Keep up the good work no matter what. Bob [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/18/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 33 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,350 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $297 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 5 [B]Hrs:[/B] 13 [B]Mins:[/B] 11 [B]Seconds:[/B] 33

This thread is locked.

Reading this thread: