Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,483 Members

Please welcome our newest members: CPADUA, DSHAIRRA PE, CLOVELY GRACE, kathleencabralmd, TestingDHA

After getting home the only thing i look forward to is a cigarette and I feel powerless :?(

6 years ago 0 11213 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Watson,

First of all, congrats on all the cutting back you have already achieved. Those area all huge successes. Giving up cigarettes completely is extremely difficult and many people even compare it to getting out of a bad relationship. Keep working on this and consider talking to your doctor about supports that may be available to you.

What stood out to me is that you said smoking is the "only thing" you look forward to. No wonder you are finding it extremely hard to give it up! I think reframing your thinking or finding an alternative may help you to quit completely. How do you think you can replace that cigarette? What is something else you could look forward to? 
Ashley, Health Educator
6 years ago 0 796 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Watson89,
 Nicotine is a terrible drug isn't it? First thing I'd suggest is that you go through the program at the top of the page. It can help you prepare for your quit journey, and it also has tips that could come in handy for you. If you can't find anything in there to help you overcome that "after work" urge, maybe your answer is somewhere here in the forums. There is an awful lot of great advice lurking in these forums, you just have to find the ones that will work for you and your situation. It's different for everyone, and there are no magic words to eliminate your urges. I wish there was, a lot of people could really use it. 
 Prepare yourself for the uphill battle, and if you are prepared, it will be a lot easier for you. READ, READ, READ! All it takes is that one spark, one word, one thought that gives you the encouragement, strength, or whatever you want to call it, to beat your addiction.  
Stay strong!

Not One Puff Ever

• Quit Meter

$23,159.40

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 770 Hours: 16

Minutes: 41 Seconds: 39

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

6 years ago 0 2 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
 I managed to stop smoking the morning after I wake up. After meals , and before bed. I managed to stop smoking when I'm sad, mad or with friends that I used to smoke with. These were my "smoking triggers" But I can't let go the cigarette that I usally take after getting home from work. Sometimes I come back early from work especially to smoke that cigarette. During work, I only think about that cigarette and for me it's the only thing i look forward to. I only find comfort and relaxation in that cigarette. And once I smoke that one time, I relapse and I feel so bad about myself :( please help me find a way to let go I'm really desperate.
  • Quit Meter

$227,020.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 3614 Hours: 4

Minutes: 6 Seconds: 57

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

Reading this thread: