Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,473 Members

Please welcome our newest members: DSHAIRRA PE, CLOVELY GRACE, kathleencabralmd, TestingDHA, JVICTORINO

PM here. (This is hard)

10 years ago 0 618 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hello Paul,

No one would disagree that the first cigarette in the morning is one of the most difficult to give up.  Your brain has had a long time, (all night) without its nicotine, and it starts 'yelling at you' for a fix.

The others have given you great answers.......could you immediately go somewhere where you never smoked?  Maybe take a shower....that should last long enough for the craving to go away.  Do remember that many of the habit cigarettes are the hardest to erase.  You have to take a deep breath and immediately alter what you were going to do...eg. if you were going outside, turn around and go inside.  You need to distract your brain.

Have you actually quit yet, or are you in the 'cutting down' phase?  Is your quit date the 19 April?

Quitting is so possible, but it is not easy.  Keep reading and posting;  consider Nicotine Replacement Therapy (NRT.)

Stay close to us and we will help you and support you, but we cannot give you any easy answers....it is all hard work and determination on your part to beat this addiction! 

Stay Strong!

Love Lolly.    
10 years ago 0 796 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Paul,
 Jim has some good suggestions about delaying that first one and changing your routine. I know this may sound kind of silly, but  sucking on a straw like it is a cigarette helped me the first few days. Deep breathing through the nose and out the mouth works too. A little hard candy, carrots, raisins or what ever you like, can help delay that first smoke. There are a lot of good suggestions in these forums. Like Jim said, read, read, read. The more you know the easier it will be for you. Have you considered nicotine replacement therapy? 
 Quitting is 10% physical and 90% mental. The physical part will be over in a few days of your quit and then journey really begins. Get your positive attitude working  and remember that you CAN do this. You have to WANT this quit in order for it to work. 
Hang in there buddy... 

• Quit Meter

$23,153.35

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 770 Hours: 11

Minutes: 59 Seconds: 51

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

10 years ago 0 2778 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey Paul!!!

Welcome to the SSC!  That first one in the morning IS the toughest one to get over.  I suggest that when you do quit, just roll over and go back to sleep!    Just kidding! 

I see that you set your quit date on the 19th.  That will give you time to start delaying that first one over the next couple of weeks.  It will be hard at first, but may really help!  Try some stretching and deep breathing after you get up.  Anything to delay that first smoke.

Try changing up your routine a little bit.  Many of us had to change our routine to avoid those associated triggers.  For instance, I got up and got my coffee and paper and my smokes and right to my favorite chair.  I changed my morning ritual to try to avoid the triggers.  I quit in the spring, so i went out on nice mornings and read the paper outside, breathing in that fresh clean air!  It's those triggers you have to avoid!

There are a lot of tips here on the Forums!  Stick close and read and learn!  We're all rooting for you!

Jim

• Quit Meter

$44,197.50

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 1057 Hours: 19

Minutes: 39 Seconds: 8

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked