Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-03-27 3:02 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Water

2024-03-17 5:24 PM

Healthy Weight Community

logo

What motivates you?

2024-03-10 10:30 PM

Quit Smoking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

DM555 3 3

Browse through 411.742 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,431 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Jgorilla, anna13, CCaballero, JJAY EVANGEL, VKATE DARLENE

Need to quit, but can?t

12 years ago 0 1 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey Hengest,

I just wanted to welcome you and to say keep trying to quit and pray. It can be very hard I know but you can do it!!!
12 years ago 0 9 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
cvdeb:

I'm doing okay.  I'm basically at the very beginning of the actual quitting process now.  I've slipped once or twice since setting my quit date for Dec. 2, but I'm learning ways to handle my triggers.
12 years ago 0 375 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Everyone's so kind!

Where are you with your quit?
12 years ago 0 2778 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey Hengest!

I just wanted to say welcome and we're all of us here are rooting for you!  You have been given some great advice and I have even some words of wisdom on this thread that has been of benefit to me! 

Work the program, read and learn from your new quit buddies here and holler when you need to!  My best words of advice are to follow the 6-P's... Proper Planning Prevents Piss-Poor Performance!  Develop your plan, go into your quit with a Positive Mental Attitude and just go to war with the stinkin' nico-demon and kick ash!!!  You CAN do this and we'll be here to help!  

Jim

• Quit Meter

$44,010.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 1053 Hours: 6

Minutes: 29 Seconds: 44

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

12 years ago 0 18 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Good Job. Love to see young people quit. You got what you deserved for a long time. Smart generation.
Just wanted to thank you all again for your support and to let you know that I have updated my blog on this site.  If you have any further questions or advice, please post it there.  

Hengest 

12 years ago 0 147 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hengest, I was very moved by your story, as i was in your shoes 3 months ago. Anyone here can tell you. I'm 23 years old and have smoked since i was 16. It's not easy to let it go once it's become a part of your life.. I also am in a relationship where my boyfriend doesn't smoke, so it made it equally as hard to be with someone that couldn't be around the smell (He has asthma) and not being able to smoke.. Though you're having a hard time with your quit, i think i can speak for everyone here when i say we're going to stand beside you 100% in trying to accomplish this. We're all here for you and pulling for you and you can do it! Just have faith in yourself and the rest will follow. 
12 years ago 0 792 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
you know Hengest you can feel the way you felt at 17 before you started smoking. It is only the nicotine in your brain that makes you think it is impossible. Once you get all the nicotine out of your body and your brain receptors return to normal believe me you will see things very differently. I was amazed by how my perspective changed about nearly everything. Just try it and see . You are blind to it now but if you go 2 weeks you will see things like you were 17 again. Just don't let any nicotine into your body NONE.
12 years ago 0 377 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hello Hengest,
What you talk about here is very similar to most of us here.  We are talking addiction here.  It's not surprising to see smoking go up at all as you consider quitting for good.  For me just the thought of stopping smoking was enough to cause stress and to smoke away.  The key is that we are all addicted and the only way to really resolve the issue is to realize that no amount of smoking is going to set us on a path of recovery.    I agree with Eyja to read the Carr and other books to see how smoking really does nothing to serve us as we had thought.  Once you get out of the addiction you will realize that smoking is really more about getting out of withdrawal than offering anything of benefit to you. Next is to pick a quit date where you decide that you are finished with it all.   It takes courage and determination, but it is very doable as seen by many of us who have made this happen.  Take time to educate yourself about the addiction and remember that you are not alone.  I was here for help and many people stopped me when I wanted to just take that one.  Good luck and keep us posted if you decide to take that journey.
Ron 
Hey everyone, just offering a small update and a few thoughts I've had recently.  Also, thank you Eyja for the reference and the insight.  I'll be sure to think about what you said and check out that book.

My smoking hasn't gone down at all, in fact yesterday it was really, really bad due to some stress I was having.  But on the positive side, I've begun to think a little more seriously about the costs/benefits of quitting, and I'm beginning to think a little more positively about the prospect of actually accomplishing it.  

I've just been thinking a lot about how much smoking has impacted my life, in small, subtle ways that I haven't even really noticed until lately.  Just today I thought about what I was like when I was 17, before I started smoking.  I was creatively and intellectually vibrant, I felt pretty good most of the time, and I could feel emotion strongly.  Now, at the age of 26, and after 8 years of smoking, I'm tired and apathetic most of the time, and incredibly emotionally numb.  Now, I've been through a lot over those years, including the normal aging process, but I can't help but feel that part of it is because of my smoking.  I just think about all the thought and energy I put into making sure I can get my next "fix" -it almost seems like that vibrance and energy has been sucked up by this habit.  

My girlfriend doesn't like that I smoke, so I never smoke around her.  I wish I could be around her without the irritability and fatigue that comes with withdrawal.  I want to be *me* when I'm with her and not have this habit tarnish our relationship.  

I've been dabbling in meditation for the past few months.  It's amazing how, when I have a really good meditation session, I can come to such peace and clarity of mind, even if only temporarily.  I want to have that state of mind without the aid of substances that can kill me.

Now, keep in mind I haven't quit yet, but I am cutting down again after the excesses of yesterday.  I have a fairly bad headache right now, to be honest.  But it doesn't really bother me.  Hopefully I'll be able to handle the *real* withdrawal headaches when the time comes.

Thanks for listening. 

Reading this thread: