Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,473 Members

Please welcome our newest members: DSHAIRRA PE, CLOVELY GRACE, kathleencabralmd, TestingDHA, JVICTORINO

First day....

15 years ago 0 2778 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey Happy!!

I'm sending another belated welcome AND congratulations on your first 4 days as a Non-Smoker!  It is really great that you made the decision earlier on in life to quit!!  I know all of us "not-so-young quitters" wished that we had quit sooner!!  Just think, more years to enjoy a healthier, smoke-free life!!!   Please remember to post for help before you ever think about lighting up again and wait for 5 responses!!!  By then your crave will be gone and you will be much stronger the next time that nico-demon starts pestering you again!!!   You CAN do this!!

Jim

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 3/5/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 329
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 8,225
Amount Saved: $1,357.13
Life Gained:
Days: 56 Hrs: 18 Mins: 16 Seconds: 43

• Quit Meter

$44,197.50

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 1057 Hours: 19

Minutes: 51 Seconds: 41

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

15 years ago 0 32 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0

Moses I don't know about all that stuff and morphine patches, but my addictions counsler who is trained by Mayo clinic said cutting the nicotine patchi is alright.  I don't know what is the right answer I'm just following her advice.

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 1/23/2009
Smoke-Free Days: 4
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 80
Amount Saved: $15.40
Life Gained:
Days: 0 Hrs: 8 Mins: 48 Seconds: 44

15 years ago 0 18 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
A word about patches for my friends...ask one of the moderators too...
Ask a pharmacist but you should NOT cut patches.
This messes up the dosage and you will get too much.
Not only for nicotine patches but due to a botched back surgery a few years ago and subsequent morphine patches, the thin layer of plastic on the inside of the patch is the membrane that controls the dose. If you want to cut it in half, line half of the inside of the patch with medical tape. This cuts down the square inches of surface area in half thus half the dose. By cutting the patch you are making it absorb the whole patch into your bloodstream much too quickly because the membrane is now damaged. Trust me.
All the best to you happy! You're doing great.

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 1/19/2009
Smoke-Free Days: 8
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 144
Amount Saved: $20.91
Life Gained:
Days: 1 Hrs: 9 Mins: 26 Seconds: 14

15 years ago 0 51 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Happy you made the right choice and the right place.  I use lozenges but only when I need them if it gets bad.  Some days I don't use any sometimes 1 and on real bad days 3 or 4.  I have tried quitting before and never could and I would end up smoking more after each time.  I was up to 2 or more packs a day.  And smoked for 42 years.  But I learned from SSC that the reason I never made it before is no preparation, no support knowledge is power.

And I can tell you the support here is the best.  Stick around here and we can help each other.

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 1/14/2009
Smoke-Free Days: 9
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 369
Amount Saved: $73.80
Life Gained:
Days: 1 Hrs: 19 Mins: 21 Seconds: 40

15 years ago 0 49 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Happy,
Nice to meet you. Glad you've got your patch problem sorted. I too am on the patches. I didn't know you could half them though. I'm glad you feel better now. We are all here for you.
Luv lola
xxx

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 1/10/2009
Smoke-Free Days: 13
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 260
Amount Saved: �68.90
Life Gained:
Days: 1 Hrs: 5 Mins: 53 Seconds: 57

15 years ago 0 355 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Happy - I'm so glad you solved your patch problem.  Lots of the NRTs made me sick also and I just gave up on them.  You are doing an excellent job and doing the right things.  Sounds like you lead a busy, busy life.  You should set your reward system up to allow for a little "me" time!

Hang in there!  You're doing great!
Angie

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 12/30/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 24
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 288
Amount Saved: $126.72
Life Gained:
Days: 2 Hrs: 4 Mins: 54 Seconds: 51

15 years ago 0 1080 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Happy I am so pleased you called the counsellor and that you are feeling so much better. The nicotine will eventually be out of your system as you reduce your patch dosage, but if it helps you get toward your goal then the patch is the way to go.
Thank you for your congrats on my stats- I smoked for 37 years 30 a day or a pack and a half (either way-alot!!!) and as I said before its a combination of this site,my patches and my determination that has made this a success for me- and I can honestly say with conviction-if I can do this then anyone can if.....................they really really want it like I did.
Stay as strong and focused as you are right now- life is so much better on the non smoking side truly it is.

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 5/10/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 258
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 6,450
Amount Saved: $3,870.00
Life Gained:
Days: 30 Hrs: 11 Mins: 56 Seconds: 0

15 years ago 0 32 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Oh how funny.  I took a little snooze and remembered I could call the addiction counsler that helped me out in her group sessions she has at the local health center.  I didn't enroll in the group this year because of scheduling issues, but she always told me I could give her a holler.

So she's been trained by Mayo clinic and told me to use half a 21mg patch (so that would be 10 1/2mg)and gum if needed.  So I slapped that half patch on (still have some left and didn't expire yeah!) and I feel 100% better.  It didn't make me feel woozy and I'm not freaking out that I don't have cigs.  "whew"  It's like a security blanket or something.  She told me being a heavy smoker that I'm sorta driving a car 100 miles an hour off a cliff no using anything.  She was right thats how I felt.

I wish I could just rid myself of all this nicotine, but I guess I will eventually.  I'm just so happy and thrilled how much better i feel with a patch.  Silly...

Thanks you all for your words.  Wow Karren you are at 258 days!  That is wonderful!

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 1/23/2009
Smoke-Free Days: 0
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 0
Amount Saved: $0.00
Life Gained:
Days: 0 Hrs: 1 Mins: 3 Seconds: 13

15 years ago 0 1288 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Happy,

You've received some really great advice from members that have experienced similar situations as yourself. Have you spoken with your health care provider? Have your coping mechanisms in place and remember that we're always here for you!

Sylvie, Bilingual Health Educator
15 years ago 0 18 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Happy,
Maybe try a smaller dosage of patch.
They kept me up at night so what I'm doing is putting a patch on when i get up. If I'm losing it I'll have a gum for a minute or two until the patch starts to kick in then i get rid of it.
I take the patch off on the way home from work so it can wear off by bedtime. A couple hours after taking it off I might have another gum and get online here.
I found the generic brand of patch was less nauseating.
Hope this helps.
Hang in there.
Moses

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 1/19/2009
Smoke-Free Days: 4
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 60
Amount Saved: $8.71
Life Gained:
Days: 0 Hrs: 17 Mins: 36 Seconds: 36

Reading this thread: