Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-03-27 3:02 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Water

2024-03-17 5:24 PM

Healthy Weight Community

logo

What motivates you?

2024-03-10 10:30 PM

Quit Smoking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

DM555 3 3

Browse through 411.742 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,431 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Jgorilla, anna13, CCaballero, JJAY EVANGEL, VKATE DARLENE

Glad to meet you folks!

17 years ago 0 4 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
After 50+ years of smoking, and who knows how many times I've quit, I hope I stand a better chance this time. Started Zyban a few days ago and have cut back to half what I used to smoke - even that is a struggle. I was told that it takes 1-2 weeks for the Zyban to become effective and to set a quit date for that time. Thanks everyone for being here! It's a comfort to know someone is there to help. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 3/1/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] -15 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 0 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $0 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 0 [B]Mins:[/B] 0 [B]Seconds:[/B] 0
Would be happy to except I'm not sure what you mean by "triggers". [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 3/1/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] -14 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 0 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $0 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 0 [B]Mins:[/B] 0 [B]Seconds:[/B] 0
OK, now I know what you mean. I see four main triggers in my day - 1. The first cig. in the morning. I wake up craving a smoke but I now wait 2-3 hours before the first one and will be increasing that over the next week or so. 2. After meals - not a big problem as I've already identified that one and stopped having that "after meal" smoke. 3. Last one before bed - there is a nagging in my head that I "need" one last smoke before retiring. So far, I've been able to eliminate that one and not smoke for an hour or two before sleep. 4. Boredom - If I don't keep myself focused and my mind occupied with something, a little voice creeps into my head and says, "Wouldn't this be a wonderful time for a smoke!". Mostly, I can refuse these urges and stick to my schedule of 2-3 hours between smokes. While the Wellbutin is no magic wand, it does seem to help but I've not had a good nights sleep in the past 3 nights. Woke up 2 hours early this morning and just started reading the older posts here. This is my 5th day on Wellbutin. I've managed to cut my smoking in half and restrict my smoking to only one place - the basement. I don't carry them out of the house with me. Even though I still am smoking around 10 a day, I've already started to notice some of the effects people here talk about - constipation, excess gas (not the $3 a gallon kind, either), insomnia. But, you know what? I don't care! The side effects are NOT life-threatening - snoking is! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 3/1/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] -14 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 0 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $0 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 0 [B]Mins:[/B] 0 [B]Seconds:[/B] 0
You'll notice I've had to change my quit date since my first post above. I guess I got tired of waiting so I went cold turkey yesterday - Valentine's Day. Can't think of a better present to give to my family. So far, physical withdrawal has been minimal. Lots of thoughts floating around in my head though. I just ignore them. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/14/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 1 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 30 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $4 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 8 [B]Mins:[/B] 42 [B]Seconds:[/B] 24
17 years ago 0 115 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Wow denny, your going to do great. I only smoked in the basement after it turned cold out. That has became one of my triggers now. The cat sits at the top of the stairs and wants me to go down since I played with her while I was down there. She will have to wait a while longer :) Happy Valentines Day! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/5/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 9 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 233 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $29.25 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 1 [B]Hrs:[/B] 3 [B]Mins:[/B] 5 [B]Seconds:[/B] 48
17 years ago 0 969 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Good Morning Denny! Welcome! It seems we have many of the same triggers...as I am sure many smokers do. Today is my quit day, and I really expected this first morning was going to be hard! I won't say it's easy, but I am managing to stay ahead of the urge. Whenever the urge gets real strong, I start cleaning something until it passes. May have the whole house cleaned by lunch time, but I am not smoking. Boredom is a major trigger for me also. Good luck with the wellbutrin...I did that and the patch a few years ago. It worked pretty well, I was just stupid and caved after 9 months. I had given up the wellbutrin first...and then I ate everything that did't bite me first. I am trying Chantix this time. So far, so good. Keep reading until your quit date. There were a few times when I was going to postpone my quit date, but reading everyone's postings kept me on track. You can do it! MomMom [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/14/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 0 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 0 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $0 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 0 [B]Mins:[/B] 0 [B]Seconds:[/B] 0
17 years ago 0 307 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Congradulations Denny A list of your own triggers could be very helpful. Whish you a successful quit, mitri [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/4/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 10 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 51 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $10 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 1 [B]Hrs:[/B] 9 [B]Mins:[/B] 47 [B]Seconds:[/B] 10
  • Quit Meter

$294,950.50

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 5950 Hours: 16

Minutes: 56 Seconds: 10

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

17 years ago 0 2417 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
You will do fine Denny! Read up on the effects of nicotine on your body and what withdrawl will feel like. Your body WILL heal itself so take special care of it! This site will be very supportive to you, we are all fighting this together. Remember to drink lots of water! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/8/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 37 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 561 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $155.4 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 3 [B]Hrs:[/B] 11 [B]Mins:[/B] 5 [B]Seconds:[/B] 8
17 years ago 0 51 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I am also on zyban, actually the generic form and I also had trouble sleeping when I first started taking it. That lasted a good 2 weeks for me, then I started sleeping really well again. When I first quit smoking, I had trouble sleeping once again, but it only lasted about 2 weeks again and it was off and on. I am now back to sleeping great and feeling so much better! You'll be amazed at how well you start to feel and how relatively quickly it happens. It definitely was worth losing a little sleep for! You can do this! Joyce [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/23/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 22 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 295 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $37.4 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 2 [B]Hrs:[/B] 3 [B]Mins:[/B] 41 [B]Seconds:[/B] 29
17 years ago 0 591 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Welcome Denny, 50 years to kick butt is a feat that we will be proud to share with you. Welcome to the SSC AND the best site you could have come upon for support. AND YOU WILL KICK BUTT THIS TIME! (your auntdeb said so...LOL) "Happy Valentines Day" by the way. You're doing great with your attitude and your approach to learn your triggers. Cutting down (the way you are before your quit date) will allow you to see tigger times and learn about the addiction using this site. Our members have so much to offer as experienced quitters now, you can't go wrong reading all you can. Our Moderators do a wonderful job as well bringing concrete information to us at crucial times. About your insomnia...it may be the nicotine stimulation...in combination with the wellbutrin...not to worry. When you stop smoking, your withdrawal will begin and your body will clean itself up...and it's not going to be pleasant...but it won't last forever...keep that in mind and keep your quit.. auntdeb :) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/1/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 44 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 2,231 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $209 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 6 [B]Hrs:[/B] 3 [B]Mins:[/B] 22 [B]Seconds:[/B] 47

Reading this thread: