Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,480 Members

Please welcome our newest members: DSHAIRRA PE, CLOVELY GRACE, kathleencabralmd, TestingDHA, JVICTORINO

I will quit on 2/14

17 years ago 0 7 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Mom! Hope you are doing well. Moving date is in 5 days!
17 years ago 0 969 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thank you all so much. I really will lean on each of you for support. Today was my first Chantix pill, and I keep repeating the reasons I want to quit. The big one today is because it's very COLD outside, and I won't have to worry smoking outin the cold any more. I am giving the Chantix time to do it's thing, and only 6 more days until I quit forever! Thanks again! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/14/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] -6 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 0 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $0 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 0 [B]Mins:[/B] 0 [B]Seconds:[/B] 0
Hello all! After smoking for 40 years and quitting once for 9 months, I am going to quit for good on Valentine's Day out of love for my family and for me! I have a Dr. appt tomorrow...I think I'll try Chantix this time. I tried the patch and wellbutrin last time. I had the vivid dreams, so I expect them again, but as long as they are not nightmares I will look forward to the entertainment as many have reported. I stopped the wellbutrin the last time because I couldn't sleep, but after stopping it I just ate everything that didn't eat me first. I am concerned about the nausea with Chantix. Is there any help for that? Has anyone taken a sleep aid while on Chantix? I have cut down in the past 3 weeks to 1/2 pack or so per day (from 1 1/2 - 2 pks per day) and cut out the smoking in the car, while on the phone, and forcing myself to wait at least 1/2 hour after a meal. The first one(s) in the morning will be the toughest. I feel like I am losing a friend...smoking has been with me since my teen years. Sorry to be so long winded! Looking forward to your support. My family, although supportive of my choice to quit, doesn't truly understand the effort that this takes. Wish me luck! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/14/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] -8 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 0 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $0 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 0 [B]Mins:[/B] 0 [B]Seconds:[/B] 0
Thanks Kiwi, I never thought of it your way. At times I am clock watching! However, I have been successful in cutting out completely some of the habitual ones...the phone, the car, etc. I've heard it takes 4 days to train your brain into a new habit, and not smoking in the car was a big one, but it isn't so bad anymore. Maybe there is some truth to that. Hopefully I won't need medication for long...I am committed to quit. Thanks for your support MomMom [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/14/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] -8 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 0 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $0 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 0 [B]Mins:[/B] 0 [B]Seconds:[/B] 0
17 years ago 0 74 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hello and Welcome!! Congatulations on your decision to quit. What a wonderful Valentines present to your family. You sound like you've done your homework and you're ready to go. I don't know the answers to your Chantix questions but plenty of people round here seem to be on it. This is a great community and we will all be here to cheer you on!!! Don't forget to post your progress!!! Good luck (not that you'll need it!) Danni [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/31/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 5 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 165 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $25 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 8 [B]Mins:[/B] 54 [B]Seconds:[/B] 22
  • Quit Meter

$326,908.80

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 5954 Hours: 4

Minutes: 26 Seconds: 47

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

17 years ago 0 848 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
CallMeMomMom - Welcome aboard. I'm still somewhat of a newbie here, but I am on Chantix and can tell you my experience so far. I think it's amazing - it really cut down on my desire to smoke after a few days and made it taste like I was smoking plastic cigarettes so it was much easier to stop. But it does take a while to have that effect and you should keep smoking while you are in the first week of it so that you can feel the changes occurring! I personally haven't had problems with side effects. I take it just after a meal and with a full 8 oz of water like they say. Sometimes I feel a bit queasy after taking it, but it goes away quick. Unlike some others, I haven't had much dreaming - its been sporadic for me and not outrageously vivid or colorful. Good luck whatever method you choose and definitely come back here for support. This site and the folks who use it are amazing! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/29/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 7 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 92 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $28.56 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 17 [B]Mins:[/B] 1 [B]Seconds:[/B] 49
  • Quit Meter

$119,526.03

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 6400 Hours: 14

Minutes: 3 Seconds: 50

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

17 years ago 0 911 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
CMMM, I wouldn't be cutting down now if your aid is Chantix. Chantix allows the meds to do the cutting down. In fact you are encouraged to keep smoking (and witness a decreased desire to smoke) during the first week of taking it. You will find it easier to deal with the cravings but as almost all here will tell you, you have to want to quit more than you want to smoke. Audrey [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/16/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 20 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 411 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $56 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 2 [B]Hrs:[/B] 0 [B]Mins:[/B] 3 [B]Seconds:[/B] 38
17 years ago 0 591 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
CallMeMomMom, Hi there and I am Aunt Deb...I am on Chantix and have not had nausea! I eat before I take the tab, and drink water or my usual morning coffee. (always eat before you take the med...even if it's just a granola bar, which I find is very helpful for constipation as well) I take the 2nd tab after my supper before I sit down to relax in front of the TV. I sleep like a baby, I do have dreams ...but they are the kind you need to get rest. Mom Mom...this is the best thing I ever used to quit. I am a 10 yr-non-smoker who relapsed during menopause like a fool. I quit cold=turkey back then, and it is the hardest way to quit,it might be the quickest...but it is the hardest. I tried several different NRT's to quit and couldn't do it until my daughter recommended Chantix. my meter only shows little over a month...but "I know without a doubt, I will never smoke again". You see, I remembered how awful those cravings were when I quit cold-turkey...and I couldn't get past the cravings with the other forms of NRT'S I TRIED...and I knew if I could just find the right thing that would get me past Hell week, and Heck week (the first and second weeks) without smoking one cigarette....I would have it licked. "Chantix has done this for me"...and I know now when I quit using the Chantix...and I go into the blues, I will not sit around moping and going into depression, I will see my Doctor if I need to because I know now what is causing it. But also...I have a plan. You see...I am not the person I was over a month ago. Iam now a non-smoker, I will go where smokers don't, I will do things smokers can't and I will live and enjoy life and spend new found money for things Nicodemon stole from me. Read Allen Carr's book...I've already been there done that, but the other members highly recommend the book to understand this addiction we have and what goes along in the process of quitting. I started smoking at age 15 (almost 16) and quit when I was in my early 30's, started back again at age 42....I am now 56. You won't be sorry you came to this site...read, read, read and post often...Have a wonderful Happy Valentines Day and join our Valentines party...because I'm sure Phil
17 years ago 0 613 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
MomMom: I too am a Chantix quitter and highly recommend it. On warning to you about your approach of cutting down -- it turns each cigarette into a "reward" and that's always dangerous. There is virtually NOTHING positive about cigarettes and they should NEVER be viewed as a reward for anything. Please do read here and learn about your addiction -- this is a serious addiction -- it can be beaten, but you must have a plan in effect (Chantix will certainly help), but your ATTITUDE is 95% of it. You must never see smoking as a reward or allow yourself to feel that you've HAD to GIVE UP something you enjoy. That's frankly a recipe for failure. Instead, EMBRACE your very solid reasons for quitting, get angry at the time, money and health wasted on this sick addiction. That will lead you to success faster than anything. That's my take. I do wish you well and hope you'll keep posting so we can keep an eye out for you and offer help whenever you need it. Keep the faith [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 10/8/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 122 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 4,880 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $976 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 15 [B]Hrs:[/B] 22 [B]Mins:[/B] 55 [B]Seconds:[/B] 22
17 years ago 0 2 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
This is the first time that I am writing to anyone on this site. Today is my 3month anniversary. I also tried many times before using all kinds of methods. I found that the self-talk is very important. I told myself that I can do it. I am a strong wonderful woman and I have done much harder things than stopping smoking. I have a wonderful family and look forward to spending a long life with those I love. I took one day at a time, and many deep breaths. Also, I drank plenty of water. So try not to say that this is hard. Keep telling yourself this is a sinch. Speak what you want as if it were and God Bless [b]not[/b] [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 11/5/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 92 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 927 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $345 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 12 [B]Hrs:[/B] 18 [B]Mins:[/B] 5 [B]Seconds:[/B] 39

Reading this thread: