Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-03-27 3:02 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Water

2024-03-17 5:24 PM

Healthy Weight Community

logo

What motivates you?

2024-03-10 10:30 PM

Quit Smoking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

DM555 3 3

Browse through 411.742 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,431 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Jgorilla, anna13, CCaballero, JJAY EVANGEL, VKATE DARLENE

Finally quitting!

17 years ago 0 420 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
After smoking for 32 years, and hiding it from everyone, except a few, for the past 10, I've set Jan 1 for my quit date. I'm down to less than 10 a day, but the ones I still have are "important"! I have my lists ready of what I'll do to "replace" the habit, but I'm not sure I'm fully mentally prepared. Why does it feel like you are giving up a friend, when in reality, you hate that friend? Gosh! I'm telling myself that I'm practicing quitting just to see what it's like, and I hope and pray the practice turns into reality. I am going to try the nicotine gum. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated! I've enjoyed reading some of these discussions. You all sound like wonderful people! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/1/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] -2 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 0 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $0 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 0 [B]Mins:[/B] 0 [B]Seconds:[/B] 0
Yes, I've read all about my dangerous friend! I hate it that I smoke! I haven't smoked in my house for about three years. I hated the smell. I did read some of Luna's remarks and they were wonderful! She sounds just like me! I'm very glad I found this site, because none of my friends smoke, and it's hard for them to understand. My daughter is in college, and will be thrilled when I finally quit. I found out I have macular degeneration beginning in my eyes and it scared me into finally doing something about this awful habit. I appreciate all the support here. I'm sure I'll be here whining in the next few days. Thanks again everyone!
Hi Misty, Yes... we'll do it together! I moved my date to 12/31/06, simply because I'm out of cigarettes and not going to buy anymore. The more I read on here, the more determined I become... so good luck to us both!
17 years ago 0 14 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Well,interesting,looks like we are going to quit on the same day !Hi,my name is Misty so,you won't be alone.This is going to be hard cause i am emotionaly hooked on them.But I am determined,I got scared enough with my chest pains that come hell or high water,I AM going to quit.One thing I have changed is my schedule at work. I am going to work the graveyard shift which will be easier, plan on sleeping alot.I will warn my co-workers, know I will be snappy for alittle. So! We will do this together,o.k? Catch ya later [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/1/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] -1 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 0 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $0 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 0 [B]Mins:[/B] 0 [B]Seconds:[/B] 0
17 years ago 0 77 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I understand what your feeling. I just went cold turket about 12 days ago. Didn't really want to but my husband was quitting and I knew he could do it without me. I have 2 children and knew it was best for them. But I decided to "try" and have done good. Have not "cheated" once. My husband found this site and told me about it and know I won't let him on the computer cause I am on here all the time. I only joined today! Crazy. There is a post from a lady named Luna. I think her name is "Reflections after not smoking 3037 cigarettes" or something very close to that. Her post alone made me want to lay them down and never pick them up again. Please read her post. Good luck to you and yours. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 12/18/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 11 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 296 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $44 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 21 [B]Mins:[/B] 5 [B]Seconds:[/B] 46
17 years ago 0 983 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Welcome Interesting, and congratulations on your decision to quit smoking. You will find alot of great people and support in this websight. I am now 52 days quit...that will be 8 weeks next Tuesday....and I couldn't have done it without the help, support and information in the SSC. Sounds like you are really getting prepared for this. One thing I did was to make a list of the reasons I wanted to quit. It was funny, I had the usual....my health...I wanted to live longer, I didn't want lung cancer...yada, yada, yada, but it wasn't until I learned from the SSC that I'm actually addicted to nicoteen that I added at the bottom of my list that I wanted to beat this addiction and not be addicted to cigs or nicoteen anymore. This changed everything for me and changed my mindset for my quit. Post often and read as much as you can. I hope to hear lot's from you soon. Kaiti [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 11/7/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 52 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,162 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $286 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 4 [B]Hrs:[/B] 15 [B]Mins:[/B] 47 [B]Seconds:[/B] 5
17 years ago 0 2631 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Interesting - You wouldn't believe the number of tears that have been shed by people on this site. We all grieved the loss of our so-called "friend". I tried quitting once several years ago and it was so awful, I never tried again. I was sure that there was no way that I could do it. In all honesty, at the beginning of this quit, I didn't plan on being successful but I did plan to really try. With the support and knowledge that I gained from this site (and Alan Carr's book - The Easy Way to quit smoking), the try did turn into a commitment. For a long time, I just quit one day at a time. If the day was bad, I posted and whined and then went to bed early. Eventually the days added up and I didn't want to lose this quit. I used the patch, other's use Wellbutrin, Zyban, Commit, gum, losenges, inhalers and Chantix. Many quit cold turkey. We all choose the method that works best for us. Post lots - Read lots .... there will be support here whenever you need it. Windy [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 9/11/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 109 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 2,198 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $545 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 10 [B]Hrs:[/B] 10 [B]Mins:[/B] 24 [B]Seconds:[/B] 29
17 years ago 0 8760 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Interesting, Your preparations sound great! Keep up with this plan. Other items that help with cravings are deep breathing, tall glasses of ice water, gum, candy, sucking on straws and chewing on toothpicks. A little research on the internet on the dangerous effects your "friend" has may also help you. We hope to hear from you again soon. Danielle ___________________ The SSC Support Team
17 years ago 0 3307 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
You can do this. Like Windy I have tried everything except putting duck tape across my mouth. I did the pills, pactches, gum, and natural herbs. Then I came across Allen Carr's book. I read it last summer and it worked for a few days and I smoked :quest:. I reread it this month. This time I looked at the black stuff (words). By the time I finished I could not wait to quit. It worked this time. I was ready and it worked. This site also was a big part of me wanting to quit. You will not believe all of the wonderful people you will meet here. They will help you twenty four seven. The key to a quit is wanting it for yourself. Welcome!! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 12/11/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 19 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 194 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $57 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 2 [B]Hrs:[/B] 14 [B]Mins:[/B] 3 [B]Seconds:[/B] 59

Reading this thread: