Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,479 Members

Please welcome our newest members: DSHAIRRA PE, CLOVELY GRACE, kathleencabralmd, TestingDHA, JVICTORINO

Had a relapse, should I restart my quit date?

9 years ago 0 24 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Relapses are a big part of recovery of any sort . The importnat thing to remember is that a slip doesnt ever take away the time you had or the health and add life you ve given to yourself, so instead of lamenting your slip be proud of what you have achieved and try again , we re all human and this is a tough drug to quit good luck
9 years ago 0 2778 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey Desiree!!

You have made the right decision for you!  Just remember, you may relapse again and again.  That doesn't matter though!  What matters is how you rebound.  The way to quit is to never quit quitting!  Know in your heart that you CAN do this if you want your freedom more than you want to smoke!  Be sure to reward yourself for every milestone you reach, even if it's reaching the end of another day without smoking! 

Jim
  • Quit Meter

$44,205.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 1057 Hours: 21

Minutes: 32 Seconds: 24

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

9 years ago 0 11213 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Maydaydesiree,

It sounds like feeling down was a trigger for you. You used cigerettes to cope with the down feelings. I bet all past smokers would say feeling down was a trigger for them as well. So, what can you do next time you feel down? Can you have a plan in place? What else would make you feel better other then cigerettes?

Ashley, Health Educator
9 years ago 0 796 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Maydaydesiree,
 It's good to see that you have NOT given up. Sometimes setbacks will happen for one reason or another. The important thing is to know why they happened and how you can confront them the next time so you don't give in again. It only takes one cigarette to screw everything up.  
 Keep the meter running, or resetting it is up to you. The important thing is keep the quit going no matter what. It does get easier with time.
Stay strong....and smoke free!
N.O.P.E. 
  • Quit Meter

$23,159.40

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 770 Hours: 14

Minutes: 6 Seconds: 53

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

9 years ago 0 6 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
There really was no specific trigger. I was just feeling down and thought it would help me feel better. It did the exact opposite which helped me realize that I'm not going to gain anything from smoking. I decided to keep my quit meter where it is since no money was spent and I think between those two days I had maybe 3 or 4 total. I appreciate the help. :)
9 years ago 0 11213 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
This question comes up quite often. It's really a personal choice whether you want to reset your quit meter or not. No matter what you decide to do it sounds like this was an important slip. It sounds like it really solidified your motivation to stay smoke free. Great work! What triggered you to smoke? How can you prepare for this trigger in case it comes up again?

Keep us updated on what you decide to do.

Ashley, Health Educator
9 years ago 0 6 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey everyone, so this past Friday I smoked a couple cigarettes. It was a moment of weakness but I didn't actually buy them, they were old ones I found in my car. Saturday I had one and I've been feeling a lot of regret and now I know I never want to start smoking ever again. My question though is should I restart my quit date? I was about 2 weeks in without smoking and I hate the idea of starting that back to one today. What do you guys think?

Reading this thread: