Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

HelpPlease

2024-04-15 2:59 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.747 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,460 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Angelbaby, kencatly, jrawrz, AMARIAH BETTINA, HelpPlease

Hubby smokes again...

13 years ago 0 242 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Christinas, sorry to hear your husband started smoking again.  I wish my husband would quit, he was suppose to quit in april then extended it to may and he is still smoking. That stupid cigarette is so addictive, it takes so much will power not to give in.  Hope you stay strong and not smoke, I'm sure your husband is very proud of you for not smoking and someday he will quit again just give him a little bit of time. Hope he doesn't smoke in front of you....
Memie  

My Mileage:

My Quit Date: 1/25/2010
Smoke-Free Days: 163
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 1,630
Amount Saved: $652.00
Life Gained:
Days: 19 Hrs: 23 Mins: 49 Seconds: 51

13 years ago 0 880 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
cristinas

Keep smiling...I can see this is something that you really want to accomplish.  We should always be aware of the things we want to accomplish.  I think that awareness is a basic building block for living.  Sometimes we are fortunate enough to have someone with us who shares our determination.  That is a blessing...But at the end of the day we cannot be swayed by what another does or does not do. 

I am sure that your partner is struggling with his own situation and probably feels as if he has let you down in some way.  That's not a good place to be either.  It just goes to show how strong this addiction really is ( as if you needed reminding).

Hold on to what you've got and make it better everyday...

stay well

nonic 

My Mileage:

My Quit Date: 12/25/2006
Smoke-Free Days: 1287
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 38,610
Amount Saved: $13,513.50
Life Gained:
Days: 251 Hrs: 20 Mins: 28 Seconds: 29

• Quit Meter

$66,412.50

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 1300 Hours: 12

Minutes: 40 Seconds: 16

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

13 years ago 0 916 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Cristina!
First of all. congratulations on your 9 months!
Second, I am sorry to read about your hubby smoking again. But remember: you quit for yourself. Protect your quit.Remember, you didn't condition your quit to other's people actions(even your close ones). So own your quit and congratulate yourself  because you are a non smoker!!!
Every person has his (her) own time to quit. He will quit when he is ready.
Hugs
Marivi

My Mileage:

My Quit Date: 1/23/2009
Smoke-Free Days: 527
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 7,905
Amount Saved: $790.50
Life Gained:
Days: 61 Hrs: 19 Mins: 10 Seconds: 15

13 years ago 0 251 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Friends, I appreciate your thoughts. And yes, it has been quite a ride lately. But I'm digging deep and hold my ground. I am fighting the disappointment, but as most of you said, this is not my battle - it's hubby's. And regardless what I could have/should have done, at the end of the day we are grown-ups (kind of) and responsible for our decisions, right?
Dave, thanks for being a friend. Nonic - as usually your words are full of substance - thank you. Todash - your empathy is appreciated; and the strength you have shines through every time you post - great to have you in my corner.
You are a great team of quitters and I am proud to be part of this. It is an amazing feeling to come and share your story and out of the blue, you have your own support group in your court. I hope I will at least break even with each of you guys and give back as much as I receive.

Keep the quit
Cristina

My Mileage:

My Quit Date: 10/5/2009
Smoke-Free Days: 271
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 9,485
Amount Saved: $1,233.05
Life Gained:
Days: 25 Hrs: 19 Mins: 25 Seconds: 58

13 years ago 0 880 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Christenas:

Good to see that you are back to normal...Whatever that may be...Bertrand Russell once said that he wasn't certain that there was such a state (normal), but even if there were a place like that he would not want to be it...So as long as you are not smoking then the state you find yourself in is ok...

I am not a good one to speak on the issue of spousal smoking as I have chosen a more solitary life.  However, I do raise a bit of an eyebrow over the "experimenting" bit...No one experiments with smoking.  At the end of the day one either decides to remain addicted to nicotine or chooses not to buy into it.  I have all of the sympathy in the world for anyone caught in the nicotine trap, but the truth of the matter is very black and white.  Unfortunately, as much as I dearly love nuance, there is no room for equivocation here.  Its a tough proposition.

You have worked very hard at this and deserve to have victory.  Some how, you must steel yourself to the notion that although the person you are with is your world, you still have a world that belongs to you alone.  Nurture that world first and the world you share with your partner will be made stronger.  I can not tell you how to do that, but you know how, you must simply believe that your choices are valid and carry those thoughts out into the world of action.

Stay on it there, this is possible, and it is you that makes it so...

stay well

nonic

My Mileage:

My Quit Date: 12/25/2006
Smoke-Free Days: 1286
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 38,580
Amount Saved: $13,503.00
Life Gained:
Days: 251 Hrs: 16 Mins: 26 Seconds: 21

• Quit Meter

$66,412.50

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 1300 Hours: 12

Minutes: 40 Seconds: 16

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

13 years ago 0 71 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thanks for the posts everyone.  My husband also continues to smoke.  It was very hard at first for many of the reasons already mentioned.  Now, his morning hacking and gasping make me so sad for him and so grateful that I am no longer doing that.  He is in the early stages of COPD and it is frightening sometimes.  I still pray that he will quit, but I try not to nag.  I know he has his own journey and that I have no control over him.  Hang in there and protect your own quit!!
Dawn

My Mileage:

My Quit Date: 5/31/2009
Smoke-Free Days: 397
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 13,895
Amount Saved: $3,126.38
Life Gained:
Days: 52 Hrs: 4 Mins: 35 Seconds: 13

13 years ago 0 2508 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Christina --  Sorry to hear about your husband going back to smoking. The good thing is you are still a non-smoker and no matter what he does you will always be a non-smoker.  Nothing can ruin or spoil your quit.  YOU are a Winner and a non-smoker and should be very proud of yourself for the way you handled this situation and for protecting your quit.  Congratulations to you for making it through a major trigger like this.  This calls for a HUGE REWARD.

Rose

My Mileage:

My Quit Date: 5/30/2010
Smoke-Free Days: 33
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 1,320
Amount Saved: $429.00
Life Gained:
Days: 4 Hrs: 14 Mins: 42 Seconds: 28

13 years ago 0 639 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Christina -- There is some phenomenal advice here for us all!!!!  Huuuuugggs to you for your dilemna.  You must remain strong to protect your own quit.  The demon is trying to suck you down the same path as hubbie's.  Yes, it is dissappointing that you now have another challenge to work around, over and through.  But you did it before and you can do it again.  You are a terrific role model.  Don't hold a grudge.  Be supportive and understanding.  One day at a time, my dear!!!!  Remember to enjoy the rollercoaster ride.

Keep the Quit,

Dave

My Mileage:

My Quit Date: 1/19/2009
Smoke-Free Days: 528
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 15,840
Amount Saved: $4,158.00
Life Gained:
Days: 89 Hrs: 13 Mins: 49 Seconds: 44

• Quit Meter

$50,362.56

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 1121 Hours: 22

Minutes: 8 Seconds: 22

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

13 years ago 0 1209 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Cristinas,   I am sorry that your husband lost his quit.  I'm sure you feel betrayed, and angry.  He probably feels guilty and weak.   I lost a 9 month quit.  I lost some other quits before that..  My husband is a non smoker.. Never smoked.. he did drink.. which he quit 6 years ago.  

You can't quit for someone else,  that was part of the reason I lost other quits.  It is an addiction, like any other type of addiction.  it is legal and very easy to purchase.. Big business, big bucks and taxes are made..  Until you come to the point of really wanting this quit for YOURSELF, it is not going to stick.

Your quit is yours.. you are proud and you have protected it.  Hopefully though your example your husband will want what you have.. and he will come to His Quit.. you can only control yourslef and what you do. 

I understand the disappointment. and I am happy to hear you have told him to keep smoking away from you. 

You hang in there.. This is YOUR quit, you cherish it, protect it. .. and I am sure he will be following in your footsteps.

Bonnie

My Mileage:

My Quit Date: 5/7/2010
Smoke-Free Days: 55
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 935
Amount Saved: $187.00
Life Gained:
Days: 7 Hrs: 8 Mins: 17 Seconds: 23

13 years ago 0 984 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Wow you have every right to feel let down - especially when you began your journey together.  But your great tenacity and strength will prevail provided you keep looking inside at your own reasons for quitting, same as you've done for nine months.  That nine months is so significant, because it really IS a birth into the new you and the life you were dreaming of when you put out that last cigarette.

You are so in tune with yourself and that knowledge is so very powerful.  Tighten your grip on it and squeeze.

My hubby has smoked the whole time since I quit.  I knew he wasn't planning to stop and wondered what it would be like to be married to a smoker while trying to stop.  I have 3-1/2 years in the bag now and can say that at the onset it was absolutely gut-wrenchingly terrifying; mostly because I was taking a running leap into such a great unknown, entirely on my own.  Not only had I been a smoker for 20 years, but my husband and I both smoked when we met, thus all our romance, joy, anger, sorrow for half a decade was dealt with/enjoyed with/faced with/hidden behind that cigarette in hand.  When it suddenly wasn't there, it was as if I had changed and he hadn't.  I desperately feared how our relationship would withstand the new feelings and expectations.  I found many of 'little irritants' in our relationship were actually pretty big problems for me - but mostly because I wasn't emotionally sturdy enough to address them without the smokes.  That new ability to speak up after years of not saying anything became an issue in itself.  I felt like the token 'nagging wife'.  I felt wrong for healing while he was still addicted.  I felt guilty for trying to take my life back.  These issues remain but every single day, he still smokes and I get stronger.  And we get stronger for it.

My point is that this 'you-don't-smoke-and-he-does' scenario is another phase of your relationship, one that you didn't expect and will have an impact on you both every day.  It is a twist in the tale you didn't see coming, but you must turn the page and keep reading this new story.

If you want to remain quit, you will find a way to make those differences work.  I suspect your husband may be a bit torn.  He'll certainly be feeling guilty for starting up again and wishes everything could go back to 'the way it used to be' and so that 'I'm alone in this' guilt would end.  But that was a past you've committed to leave behind and I'm sure he'd dislike it more if you were both smoking, whether he'd admit it when he's having that cigarette or not.

Bottom line?  Keep on thinking, keep on blogging, dig even deeper and hold fast to what you really want, not what you think would make it all easier.

Nothing worth having is easy to achieve.

x T

My Mileage:

My Quit Date: 1/1/2007
Smoke-Free Days: 1277
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 29,371
Amount Saved: �8,077.03
Life Gained:
Days: 113 Hrs: 23 Mins: 5 Seconds: 45

Reading this thread: