Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

HelpPlease

2024-04-15 2:59 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.747 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,461 Members

Please welcome our newest members: splumley, Angelbaby, kencatly, jrawrz, AMARIAH BETTINA

At what point does the patch do more harm than good?

17 years ago 0 24 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi ive been using the 24 hr patch and i was not getting hardly any sleep and alot of headaches, i took the patch off at 5.30 every day, which helped alot, im not just using them when i feel i need it, just for a few hours a day, when i go back to the doctor i will request lower nicotine patches but may find i might not need them [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 3/7/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 11 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 233 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] �55 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 20 [B]Mins:[/B] 43 [B]Seconds:[/B] 38
17 years ago 0 357 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Lookinglass, I can only speak from past experience. Several years ago I quit for 3 years, intially I used the 14mg patch. The biggest thing it did for me was to keep me from lighting up- the package clearly states it is dangerous to smoke with the patch on (I chose to believe that whether it was really true or not), so I didn't smoke. I used it for 10-12 days and then just stopped (I didn't use the step down mehtod they recommended) and didn't suffer any major withdraw symptoms. For this quit I am again using the 14mg patch, I'm only one week into the quit but I am already taking the patch off earlier each day (by 4:30 yesterday). I plan to stop using it altogether sometime soon. I think at this point for both of us it is a matter of determination and commitment, and not so much NRT. Best of luck to you, keep us posted!! Dupe [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 3/11/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 7 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 112 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $22.4 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 16 [B]Mins:[/B] 13 [B]Seconds:[/B] 10
17 years ago 0 1040 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Interesting. I'm glad that I decided to think about this and investigate it more fully, today. I've had "extrasystoles" (Premature ventricular contraction in the heart) in the past and was put on a mild beta-blocker to prevent them from continuing. They've been under control for years, but I noticed that they've been acting up for the last few weeks... and when I was looking into nicotine patches on the net today... I read that the manufactures warn you to discontinue their use and to notify a physician if the wearer suffers "irregular heart beats" while using the patch. Which may be happening in my case. So, I've just removed the patch... and I'll be contacting a doctor as soon as I'm able to for further direction. It looks like the decision, for the time being, has been made for me. There seems to be a whole long list of common maladies that, if present, make it crucial to contact a doctor before deciding to go on the patch, such as: * irregular heart beat (arrhythmia). * angina (heart pain). * high blood pressure. * heart failure. * overactive thyroid (hyperthyroidism). * stomach ulcers. * kidney or liver disease. * diabetes requiring insulin. * treatment for poor circulation. * stroke, or treatment for circulation disorders of the brain (cerebral ischemia). * allergies to drugs. * rashes from adhesive tape or bandages. Well, even if I don't go back on the patch, I'm confident that any physical withdrawal I experience at this point will be considerably milder than the physical withdrawal I've already experienced. My initial "step down" was far greater than this one will be. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 3/6/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 12 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 317 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $111 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 2 [B]Hrs:[/B] 1 [B]Mins:[/B] 40 [B]Seconds:[/B] 16
17 years ago 0 1040 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I'm using the patch and something has begun to bother me about their continued use. I can see their value in the initial stages of my quit, in that they acted as a buffer. The strongest patch provided the equivalent of 1/3 package of cigs (25 pack), so roughly the same as 8 cigs worth of nicotine over 24 hours. So while I still took quite a hit in terms of nicotine withdrawal, it wasn't as bad as it would otherwise have been. But I'm past the physical withdrawal now, and I was able to withstand the withdrawal of 2/3 of a pack of cigs... so why am I now taking 8 weeks to gradually withdraw over the last 1/3 (the equivalent amount of nicotine)? As well, there's this; it seems to me that my cravings may actually be worse in the long term because of the patch. The patch is supposed to provide an even and consistant dose of nicotine, but it doesn't seem to. My cravings are at a minimum shortly after I put on the patch (in the morning) and for about 8-10 hours after... but after that the cravings start to increase again. So, is it my imagination, or do the patches provide a larger dose for the first several hours and a diminishing dose after that... forcing my body into withdrawal again? Because that's what it feels like. It's like being on a withdrawal roller-coaster. And I might chalk that up to a psychological process except for the fact that it's always better the first part of the day and always worse the last part of the day. And another 6 weeks of this to avoid what? To avoid going through 3 days of withdrawal that's, at worst, half as bad as what I went through in my first three days? :) And probably not close to half as bad because I'm well along in making the phsychological and emotional adjustments to not smoking... which factored in heavily during the first 3 days of my quit. Are there others on the patch who have considered this? I'd be curious to hear your take. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 3/6/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 12 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 311 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $111 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 2 [B]Hrs:[/B] 0 [B]Mins:[/B] 48 [B]Seconds:[/B] 16
17 years ago 0 2631 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Lookingglass - You will get mixed responses on the patch. Some people wanted to rid themselves permanently of nicotine in their system and dumped the patch successfully. Some people tried to quit the patch too early and realized it was a mistake. You probably need to talk to your Doctor and/or Pharmacist and make the decision that works for you. For me, the patches helped me to gradually deal with the physical symptoms while I tackled the emotional ones. I followed the course as prescribed and it worked for me. It's been a long time since I have used the patch. I do remember feeling a little dizzy/oozy when I first put the patch on (often the same way I felt when I had my first cigarette of the day) My cravings were the worst in the evening but this didn't have much to do with the patch. It was related to the fact that I did most of my smoking in the evening plus I was not busy at work so I had less distractions. In fact, even now, if I am going to feel a slight craving, it will often be in the evening. The patches are definately not for everybody. They helped me but they might not be right for you. You will get lots of different opinions. Good luck with your decision. Windy [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 9/11/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 188 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 3,773 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $940 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 18 [B]Hrs:[/B] 8 [B]Mins:[/B] 59 [B]Seconds:[/B] 39
17 years ago 0 8760 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Lookingglass, In general we recommend you complete the full treatment program. If you decide not to finish the treatment program, please do make sure you prepare yourself well for the early step down. Danielle _____________________ The SSC Support Team

Reading this thread: