Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,473 Members

Please welcome our newest members: DSHAIRRA PE, CLOVELY GRACE, kathleencabralmd, TestingDHA, JVICTORINO

Ok!! Help me hang on...

14 years ago 0 1843 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Spacecas, sorry I missed this earlier tonight but you are in great hands!  I'm hoping you are sound asleep right now.  Sleep is a good thing!  Take care of yourself on Friday!  Treat yourself like royalty!  Baths, long showers, whatever it takes!  Tell yourself N.O.P.E. every time you get a craving.  Post here if you need to every time you have a craving, somebody is always close by to help!  Now on Friday, I recommend that you do things different.  If you drink coffee, drink tea.  If you sit in your living room, go to another room to sit.  Change your scenery so you can start new habits.  And please throw away all ash trays, cig lighters, etc.  Buy air freshener to spray all around you.  Do laundry so your clothes don't smell like smoke.  Whatever it takes to avoid triggers!  You can do this!!!!!  Just remember that this temporary inconvenience will yield HUGE permanent improvements!
My Milage:

My Quit Date: 8/20/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 323
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 12,920
Amount Saved: $3,230.00
Life Gained:
Days: 48 Hrs: 6 Mins: 59 Seconds: 38

14 years ago 0 95 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thank you all for the support..It really does help alot..
   Belle,I was getting nervous every time someone ask me my quit day..But it seems it has happened faster than I had thought..Thank you for your support
  Lainey, ..You know I didn't realize that the nicotine was why more worse to quit then the drugs I quit in the past..I am fighting with all my might..thank you for your support
  Marivi, ...The mental side I have found today that I can deal with but, the physical part is really wearing me down...I am glad this day is almost over..thank you for your support
 Freedomseeker,..I am doing my best over here..i do want this really bad....Thank you for your support
Ashely, I am keeping it going..The hubby has been really supportive and he isn't smoking eighter..Thank you for the tips..thanks
  I am now  17 hours nicotine free and still haven't caved and am saying nope with all the streanght i can draw from myself and everyone here...thank you all for your support and encouragement..I am doing ok..the shaking went away but I have felt sick to my stomach at one point because I wanted a cigereet that bad...The thing that is confusing is how can you want something so bad and at the same time not want it just as bad...I am sure that sounded crazy just then but to anyone who has quit it will make perfect since....I am really doing this..It is hard to wrap my thoughts around it right now but maybe that is good..I am in shock as to how incrediable hard but easy it is to say nope...well it is 7:35 pm my time and I have made it all day and am facing the night now but feel more confident than ever...Thank you to everyone..

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 7/30/2009
Smoke-Free Days: -20
Cigarettes Not Smoked: -400
Amount Saved: $-80.00
Life Gained:
Days: 0 Hrs: 0 Mins: 0 Seconds: -128861

14 years ago 0 28 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Good girl - keep trying, it's the only way to find out if you are ready.  I think you can do it if you want to enough.  And you have Hubby to help now!  Go for it!

Take hold of the power!

Wynn

(my name or an order - take your choice!)

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 6/6/2009
Smoke-Free Days: 33
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 594
Amount Saved: $267.30
Life Gained:
Days: 4 Hrs: 13 Mins: 1 Seconds: 53

14 years ago 0 11213 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
That is amazing Spacecas! 

I agree with all the other members; you should keep this going! You are already off to a great start! What does your husband think about your surprise quit?

When it comes to your shaking, be advised that we all may suffer different symptoms when we quit.  Everyone's body will be different and so will the symptoms.

Your hands and fingers may tremble slightly and you may experience increased perspiration. However, the tremor is usually minor, and will subside as your body gets used to not smoking.

How long will this last? The first few weeks after quitting.

Tips to help: Frequent warm baths or showers can help dispel both the perspiration and the tremor. If you are concerned, consult your doctor to determine whether it is severe enough to warrant medication.

If you have a symptom that persists or seems worse than you expected, you should immediately consult a doctor. Its possible that your smoking has been masking symptoms of some illness, and when you stop smoking the symptoms abruptly become noticeable.

Keep the quit! 

Ashley, Health Educator
14 years ago 0 916 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
HANG ON!
The first four days of the quit are the hardest because you are fighting both the mental and the physical addiction. The good thing is that day one is almost over, so that is good. Take one craving at a time, practice 5 consecutive deep beathes,drink gallons of ice water,rest,listen to relacin music, and you will be fine.
I also experienced physical whitdral symptoms but just during the first week. So hang on, and you can do it,because I'm doing it!
Marivi

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 1/23/2009
Smoke-Free Days: 167
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 2,505
Amount Saved: $250.50
Life Gained:
Days: 19 Hrs: 1 Mins: 18 Seconds: 23

14 years ago 0 3875 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey Spacecas! That is how it's done, one hour at a time, one day at a time! Not One Puff Ever (NOPE!)
Use whatever means you need to help get you through, candy, gum, cold water really helps, I sucked on straws. Coming here and reading will also help, there is so much good information here to help you. Have you done the program?
Nicotine is highly addictive, worse than some of the heavy drugs out there, so of course you will feel the effects of
withdrawal for a few days. Quitting smoking is sooooo worth the trouble it takes because the rewards are so wonderful.
Spacecas, you are taking your life back from those awful cancer sticks! Fight with all your might, don't let a little cigarette run your life! You are the victor not the victim!
You can do this! Come on, be a quitter!

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 3/5/2007
Smoke-Free Days: 857
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 21,425
Amount Saved: $9,041.35
Life Gained:
Days: 113 Hrs: 11 Mins: 26 Seconds: 16

14 years ago 0 90 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
You know, a lot of us started our quits this way...not on a planned quit date, just a spontaneous kind of thing.  And sometimes that's what works best for someone...it did for me.  Really try to keep this going...if you do, you can avoid some of that anxiety that comes with the lead up to a quit date.  14 hours is AWESOME!!!  Keep it up...keep posting and waiting for responses...you can do this!!!  Drink a lot of water!
My Milage:

My Quit Date: 6/19/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 385
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 4,620
Amount Saved: $1,212.75
Life Gained:
Days: 32 Hrs: 2 Mins: 2 Seconds: 51

14 years ago 0 95 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I went to bed last night and told myself that I would give the complete quit a test run in the morning..I got up and I didn't have that cigarette...Then after breakfast no cigarette still...Around lunch is when the shakes came on but i still refused to give in..I have just about chewed this straw apart but still here it is 3:53 pm my time and I have went all day without even one puff...i almost slipped awhile ago..i opened a pack and took out a cigarette,went on the porch and just held it in my hand, but did not smoke it..I know i wasn't suppose to stop yet but if I can hold on just for today,then just for tomorrow I believe I can make it...
  There is a few things I didn't expect and that is the shakes I got..I didn't get them when I quit the drugs I use to do..I feel like I am going to explode about every five minutes or so..Maybe that is the cravings kicking in...But I am here and I am going to need all the help I can get...it's early but maybe I was ready and didn't know it..Now I wait and see what's next..Just hanging in every minute at the time and saying nope with all my strength.. When I make to tomorrow without even a puff I will reset my quit meter and go from there..
      14 hours nicotine free....yay

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 7/30/2009
Smoke-Free Days: -20
Cigarettes Not Smoked: -400
Amount Saved: $-80.00
Life Gained:
Days: 0 Hrs: 0 Mins: 0 Seconds: -129864

Reading this thread: