Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,473 Members

Please welcome our newest members: DSHAIRRA PE, CLOVELY GRACE, kathleencabralmd, TestingDHA, JVICTORINO

Why the 90-100 day blahs?

17 years ago 0 1543 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Gosh Gee Willikers!!! :8o: Never thought I would have to have a hard time at 100 days too. Only 22 more days to go to experience it!! Whoopie..LOL LOL LOL ;) Mercy [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/21/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 78 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,576 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $348.66 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 10 [B]Hrs:[/B] 5 [B]Mins:[/B] 13 [B]Seconds:[/B] 56
17 years ago 0 243 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Ah yes. The 90 to 100 days bleurchs! lol - I'm sorry. but I have the monopoly on those. Mine were sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo rubbish nobody else is allowed to have them - OK?! It's like the rain before the sun. The dark before the dawn. it really is (or was for me). It just makes that post 100 days time so good. Such a relief. Such a "how on EARTH could that ever have been such a big deal" feeling. Coupled with the joy of being through them. In the meantime, reward yourself every single day. No matter how slight I think it's a really important time to have something to mark the end of each day. And spring - when the world is wonderful. I am in Scotland and we have had sunshine for days. I am finding I don't much like decorating without a smoke but I just keep telling myself the plus point. The painting takes less time; my lungs aren't fouled up and the house smells only of fresh paint. No smoke fumes! Well done on your quit so far. Better days are just around the corner. Sx [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 12/10/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 120 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 4,212 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] �720 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 12 [B]Hrs:[/B] 9 [B]Mins:[/B] 5 [B]Seconds:[/B] 55
17 years ago 0 984 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I've hopped in here late, Interesting, but can definitely share the blahs on the health front. Before I quit I expected to feel so much better so quickly but it hasn't happened. My sinuses are still awful as well and that in itself is enough of a downer! Thing is, I always feel blah when I don't feel well so I've started to try and separate the 'major' health things (e.g. things that are always present) from the quit and focus on the small things that are showing signs of healing - sense of smell, better circulation, healthier skin, etc. It's a small lift but it does seem to do the trick! Now if my math is correct, you should be on that beach TODAY... Congratulations & waaaaaaahooooooo! I'll see you tomorrow. ;) x T [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/1/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 98 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 2,260 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] �539 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 8 [B]Hrs:[/B] 6 [B]Mins:[/B] 24 [B]Seconds:[/B] 27
17 years ago 0 613 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Great story, Interesting! Games with revolving doors -- that is so YOU! You made me laugh with that story, so thanks for sharing. Here's a toast to you, to your (nearly) 100 days as a nonsmoker and most decidedly to your health! Let's both get feeling downright perky again, ok? We'll work on it. Meantime, I'll think good thoughts for us both. I like your reward, by the way. Promise you'll follow through. Take care and keep the faith [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 10/8/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 182 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 7,318 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1456 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 23 [B]Hrs:[/B] 22 [B]Mins:[/B] 15 [B]Seconds:[/B] 24
17 years ago 0 420 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thanks for all the ideas/theories, support! Butterfly... you are right. I am too hard on myself. That comes with being a perfectionist. ARGH! In reality I'm doing pretty well, considering I went through a divorce last fall, and then decided to stop smoking in December. I wouldn't expect anyone else to be "over it", so why do I expect it of myself? I think it is because I am everyone else's greatest support/cheerleader, but fail to do the same for myself. Faith... my soon to be beach buddy... yes, I am the same... been going to the doctor to finally find some answers to some issues that I thought would get better when I stopped smoking. On one hand it makes me think gosh... I shouldn't have felt so guilty thinking I was bringing all this on by smoking, and the other part of me thinks... gosh... I'm disappointed that this didn't go away when I quit. Once I get a few more doctor appointments over, I will probably feel better. Which... coincidentally, I went in for my mammogram in March, and had to go back for further testing, which made me think: Why now? I went to see the surgeon week before last, who told me to be checked again in 6 months to see if there is any change. It appears to be cysts, but will just need to keep checking. As for my 100 day reward? I'm going to make it a point to be as kind to myself as I am to others. That's probably the best gift I can give myself. As part of that, I am going to schedule a massage after a much needed trip to the chiropractor. Then I'm going to do whatever I want in the evening without feeling guilty. (My name on here should have been "Guilt")! haha! Thank you guys for your responses, and I really am excited to get to the beach! I have the suntan lotion ready, and I just can't wait to see what this beach looks like! I'm sure it is going to be beautiful. Maybe I can write a description for the others, once I get to see it. I remember when you arrived, Faith, and I wanted to be there too! Now I'll end this with a story. When I was out of town last week, in Boston, by the way, I went through this revoloving door every day to get to my conference. I have a brain that never stops, and I have to amuse myself with things to stay sane. haha! I was playing a game with the revolving do
17 years ago 0 613 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Oh, Interesting, my soon-to-be-beach-buddy: I know exactly what you're saying. I think someone recently posted that we need to stop thinking in terms of smoking and cigarettes and think like a non-smoker. You know, where everything isn't about smoking or not smoking. Obviously, a goal would be to have smoking become a non-issue altogether. It's tough though. As Butterfly Swimmer said, we're sort of hard-wired to think of smoking after all the years we devoted to it. I know you won't smoke -- there's no doubt in my mind about that. I know how strong your commitment is. I also don't feel good and have been overly tired and have taken what seems to be months to get past this illness of mine (flu? cold? sinus infection?) I've had two rounds of antibiotics to no avail, so will have a cat scan on my sinuses next week. It's hard when we don't feel physically good to maintain a positive approach to everything, isn't it? So some nice weather, more color in our gardens and better health will help, no? So, I do want to know your plan for a 100-day reward. What will it be? It should be a good one -- you've earned it, my friend! I'm tired and probably not making any sense, but I did want to respond to your post -- I remember when you first joined us. Seems like only yesterday -- ha!! Be gentle with yourself and keep the faith, ok? See you Tuesday at the BEACH!! Wine and chocolate just for you! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 10/8/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 182 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 7,315 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1456 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 23 [B]Hrs:[/B] 22 [B]Mins:[/B] 3 [B]Seconds:[/B] 57
17 years ago 0 2830 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Interesting, Yes, I have lots of theories on this (who woulda thought, huh? ;p ). My first theory is that cravings tend to come at major milestones (30 days, 100 days, 6 months, 1 year, etc...) because as smokers, we trained ourselves to reward ourselves after every major task... clean the house, have a smoke; mow the lawn, have a smoke. So now that you've done this major task, your brain is hardwired to want a smoke. What it REALLY wants is a reward... so give it one. My second theory (and probably the stronger of the two) is that as human beings, we are conditioned to think that after such-and-such time, such-and-such will happen... for instance, you start a new job... after a few months, you expect a raise. Well, when quitting, many people think that the cravings should be completely done and over with after a month or a few months (and it sounds like you have this same thinking by saying "We should be feeling great by then!"). The thing is, we smoked for many years... it's going to take more than a couple months to completely get over this addiction. So, instead of things getting better, they actually get worse with more frequent cravings because we keep thinking that we should be "over" this by now. Try to stop setting expectations for yourself in your quit. Where you are is completely normal, so try to accept where you're at as normal and good and not as if you're not doing it right. You're doing great! The only way you can do this "wrong" is to smoke! And you haven't done that for almost 100 days, so you deserve a fantastic reward!!! Have a great anniversary and really celebrate! You're doing great, so try not to worry about the rest... it WILL get easier, but it does take some time. Crave the Quit! Pam [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 6/17/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 660 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 16,521 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $2725.8 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 47 [B]Hrs:[/B] 0 [B]Mins:[/B] 55 [B]Seconds:[/B] 56
17 years ago 0 932 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Interesting, I hear ya. I think these phases just hit us at different times. Mine is with me now....feeling more cravings and on the blah side too. It's hard to be more active when you feel sort of down in the dumps but it's real important to force ourselves to move around. At least it helps with me. I think those cravings keep coming when something new comes along....You know, something that we haven't encountered before as a Non Smoker. I really do think that spring is part of it. You're at Day 98 this spring while I'm on Day 49. But, here were are going through the same things. I'll bet dollars to donuts that someone around Day 17 or Day 75 are feeling the same things that we feel. We have to keep learning how to live as Non Smokers and deal with all of those new things that life tosses our way. Stay Strong. This will pass. Tutti [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/18/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 49 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 2,241 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $175.91 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 5 [B]Hrs:[/B] 6 [B]Mins:[/B] 35 [B]Seconds:[/B] 12
17 years ago 0 8760 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Interesting, Some experience difficulties at this point, others do not. Everyone is different. What research has shown us is that quitters are most likely to relapse within the first three months of their quit. Keep persevering! This is a rough patch and it will pass. Get back to basics if you feel the need and employ the same strategies that got you through the first few weeks. Danielle ______________________ The SSC Support Team
17 years ago 0 2417 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I craved alot around 60 days. I think it was because the weather was perking up and I needed to experience spring without smoking. As for the blahs, can't complain. Change your schedule alittle bit to rattle something. I hate that you don't feel the greatest. I know, and you know, that smoking would make things worse. Didn't you ever get the blahs when you were smoking??? Hey, look! You will be at 100 days in two days. Plan on a reward and celebrate. I bet there will be a string of posts cheering you on! Why don't we get this party started right now! :) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/8/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 90 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,361 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $378 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 8 [B]Hrs:[/B] 9 [B]Mins:[/B] 36 [B]Seconds:[/B] 28

Reading this thread: