Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-03-27 3:02 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Water

2024-03-17 5:24 PM

Healthy Weight Community

logo

What motivates you?

2024-03-10 10:30 PM

Quit Smoking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

DM555 3 3

Browse through 411.742 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,431 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Jgorilla, anna13, CCaballero, JJAY EVANGEL, VKATE DARLENE

Do Pets Go Thru Withdrawal??

17 years ago 0 43 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey there MomMom! I have never heard of cats going psycho when the house becomes smoke free, but really makes me wonder.. I had my cat for maybe a year or so..still a kitten, before we had any children. We stopped smoking in the house just before my son was born, and once the baby came she went crazy. I would walk by and she would go nuts on my feet, biting and clawing!! After 2 weeks of this, I was SO paranoid of her hurting the baby, we had to get rid of her. I just associated her behavior with the new baby and I wasn't spending as much time with her. she was my baby before we had kids.. Maybe the no smoking had somthing to do with it??? Poor kitty..i miss her :( [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 3/2/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 17 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 355 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $107.95 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 1 [B]Hrs:[/B] 5 [B]Mins:[/B] 13 [B]Seconds:[/B] 58
17 years ago 0 969 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Ok, so my normally docile 8 year old cat has, for the past 2 weeks or so, turned into PSYCHO KITTY! He is pulling the fur out of his tail (and leaving it all over the house) and makes noises that not only scare the **** out of me, but some that I have never heard before (at least not from the cat!) ;) He is sleeping in strange places (for him, anyway)and re-arranging anything that is on any table he happens to jump up on. Pillows are now the enemy! Could it be that now that the house is smoke-free, he is experiencing his own withdrawal? Yes, he will be going to the Vet (which is always so-o-o-o much fun). [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/14/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 30 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 909 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $145.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 4 [B]Hrs:[/B] 4 [B]Mins:[/B] 1 [B]Seconds:[/B] 2
17 years ago 0 932 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
MomMom, Now you know....your cat has been getting up during the night, starting up a poker game with a few cats from the neighborhood, and smoking your cigarettes. See, this is why I'm a dog person myself. ;) Hugs, Tutti [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/18/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 26 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,189 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $93.34 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 2 [B]Hrs:[/B] 19 [B]Mins:[/B] 8 [B]Seconds:[/B] 38
17 years ago 0 591 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Wait till I tell my hubby about this...Tee-hee He's been wondering how I can sit through hours of tv with our Yorky in my lap...and yorky never makes a noise or move to go out...then........... when hubby sits to watch...but needs to get up to go out to light a cig...guess who yips to go with him or makes him get up to go....maybe yorky is addicted too...Hmmmmmmmmmmm? [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/1/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 76 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 3,835 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $361 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 10 [B]Hrs:[/B] 13 [B]Mins:[/B] 21 [B]Seconds:[/B] 32
17 years ago 0 3908 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Ask Dutch Fini about her MacWac! Me x [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 8/8/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 220 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 4,628 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] �1155 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 44 [B]Hrs:[/B] 1 [B]Mins:[/B] 57 [B]Seconds:[/B] 54
17 years ago 0 1010 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I have heard they do have their own withdrawals. I never smoked inside my house so my cat is a natural nutcase kitty =) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 9/21/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 176 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 2,644 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $528 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 15 [B]Hrs:[/B] 22 [B]Mins:[/B] 0 [B]Seconds:[/B] 36
  • Quit Meter

$35,621.89

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 415 Hours: 0

Minutes: 9 Seconds: 34

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

17 years ago 0 2838 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
This IS a funny post. I realize that there are a lot of people that put their pets on the same (perhaps higher) pedestal than their children. For good reason, I am sure! I read of one member who buys bottled flouridated water for her dog, expensive designer dog foods, etc..... I live in rural Tennessee on a mini-farm. Rarely do the dogs even come inside. If they do, bottled water is out of the question---we leave the lid up on the toilet! :8o: Coyotes and wild cats are called 'target' practice! In one of our pastures, ginsing grows wild. We do have a horse that favors it and seems to be rather 'amourous' LOL. There is also a weed (called 'loco' weed) that seems to attract a particular 'special ed' goat....... Lemme know what the consensus is on this. Our farm may have several addictions going on! I don't think, however, that our large animal vet will agree to detox or therapy... :gasp: [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 9/8/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 191 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 9,598 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1528 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 20 [B]Hrs:[/B] 7 [B]Mins:[/B] 49 [B]Seconds:[/B] 36
17 years ago 0 8760 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
CallMeMomMom, Yes, it's quite possible. They are exposed to nicotine and all the other toxins smoking introduced just as you were. Now that it is gone, they also have to adjust. Please do consult your vet, he/she may be able to advise you on what you can do to help your cat. Danielle ______________________ The SSC Support Team

Reading this thread: