Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

HelpPlease

2024-04-15 2:59 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.747 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,460 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Angelbaby, kencatly, jrawrz, AMARIAH BETTINA, HelpPlease

How I deal with cravings!

17 years ago 0 43 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I just joined today! I haven't gotten into the actually info packed website...I joined mainly to find people to *tow the line* with me, and help each other through the *temptations*! I've about reached a point where diverting my mind is easy when a *craving* strikes, and the cravings are NOT really hard to get over any more! But, at first...I kept telling my older sister (who has NEVER smoked in her 65 years) that the longer I went without a cigarette, the harder the craving hit! I was just about at the point to toss the idea, and go get a pack of cigarettes somehow! That has always been my breaking point with previous attempts to quit...but THIS time I took MANY showers that day! I fought the *urge* with every thing in me...and I BEAT it! Now the cravings are just little *flickers* that are far & few between, and I can divert my thoughts to something else and side track the cravings! My computer was my biggest hinderence! While on my computer, I would reach for a cigarette so automattically, that most of the time I didn't KNOW I was smoking them! But, I didn't let that stand in my way! While using my computer...I had a rubberband I put on my right wrist ( I always *reached* with my right), and every time I caught myself *reaching* (even though *nothing* was there)...I popped that rubberband on my wrist, hard enough to sting for a few minutes! The more I popped it, the longer I felt the sting, and the less frequent I would *reach* for it! I also keep saying to myself...I AM a NON smoker! I wish EVERY one good luck, and may success be YOURS! Betty2 [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 9/4/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 11 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 174 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $77 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 1 [B]Hrs:[/B] 12 [B]Mins:[/B] 31 [B]Seconds:[/B] 44
17 years ago 0 43 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thanks, Free (and every one)! I am 55 years old, and physically disabled. My range of motion is very limited, so I can't do what many other people take for granted! So, when I need a diversion...I turn to my Birds! I raise Cockatiels, and at present I have 17, 6 of which are babies from 1 week to 6 weeks old! I hand feed my babies from 3 weeks, and it does keep me busy! ALL of my babies are hand tamed, and *demand* my attention...but, my *true love* of them all is my Cotton! Cotton is my 1 year old *Miracle Masterpiece*. She is a White Faced Pearl, and she is a cuddlebug! So, when a craving hits me...I go get Cotton and we snuggle & cuddle for a while...even after the urge leaves me! And, as I said...I used a rubberband on my wrist when the habit of reaching for a smoke had control! But, I don't reach any more! I feel GOOD about myself...which I didn't feel with previous attempts! I also have self confidence that I never felt with previous attempts! In fact, I am going to be given the *ultimate* test is just a few hours...my grown son & DIL are on their way to visit me from FL, and they BOTH smoke! I have a NO Smoking sign on my door, so IF they want to smoke...it will be outside! IF I can make it through this visit without *giving in*...I KNOW the *worst* is over! But, I really feel confident that I can handle it, and I am psyching myself up for it, and I will *PRAY* for extra strength & courage for the duration! I'll give a full report tomorrow afternoon, when the head back to FL! Thanks again! I AM a NON smoker!!! Betty2 [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 9/4/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 11 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 178 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $77 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 1 [B]Hrs:[/B] 13 [B]Mins:[/B] 19 [B]Seconds:[/B] 37
17 years ago 0 202 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Betty, I know you can do it. Give some thought to how you're going to handle the temptation when your family visits in advance, and then *stick to your guns* and make it through! You'll be so proud of yourself when you emerge victorious! All the best, Livadia [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 6/18/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 90 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,800 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $450 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 10 [B]Hrs:[/B] 12 [B]Mins:[/B] 7 [B]Seconds:[/B] 11
  • Quit Meter

$42,899.94

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 750 Hours: 3

Minutes: 8 Seconds: 29

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

17 years ago 0 3131 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Betty2 wow you have the mind set good for you. You can do this one day at a time :)Marie [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 6/13/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 95 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,425 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $380 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 12 [B]Hrs:[/B] 12 [B]Mins:[/B] 41 [B]Seconds:[/B] 16
17 years ago 0 2838 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Great idea with the rubberband! I also cut straws into cig-sized peices to 'smoke' while at the computer. The nice thing about my straw cigs are that you can flick your ashes just anywhere! ;p
17 years ago 0 3368 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
You are 1/3 of your way through you first month! That is awesome! a couple more weeks and you'll be well on your way to true FREEDOM! Congrats on your decision to give yourself life. You deserve it. We all do! Here are some things I did to help with cravings in the beginning: - Exercise, bike, walk - Showers - Sugar Free Gum - vegetables and dip - post, post and post ... can't smoke when you are constantly typing - read - clean - rent a movie - got to bed earlier - garden [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 5/12/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 126 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 3,804 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $504 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 10 [B]Hrs:[/B] 16 [B]Mins:[/B] 3 [B]Seconds:[/B] 55
  • Quit Meter

$54,478.80

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 5953 Hours: 13

Minutes: 50 Seconds: 7

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

17 years ago 0 2223 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
[size=4] Hi Betty 2, nice to meet you, iam sending lots of good wishes and luck your way, iam in your cheering section Take care Tresa[/size] [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 8/8/2002 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 1499 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 29,998 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $5246.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 206 [B]Hrs:[/B] 7 [B]Mins:[/B] 44 [B]Seconds:[/B] 33
  • Quit Meter

$14,534.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 686 Hours: 13

Minutes: 18 Seconds: 21

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

17 years ago 0 763 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
congratulations Betty...hang right in here....quitting IS tough...but it CAN be done....let your resistance built in to pride....YOU are controling the situation now. Kick the nagging junky in the mouth when he comes around! You are coming down the backstretch and into the far turn on your second week.......ride girl ride!! and don't forget that the winner gets a reward!! katy [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/4/2002 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 1715 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 68,625 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $9775.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 223 [B]Hrs:[/B] 18 [B]Mins:[/B] 46 [B]Seconds:[/B] 32
  • Quit Meter

$158,896.50

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 5341 Hours: 2

Minutes: 51 Seconds: 52

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

17 years ago 0 12049 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Betty, Welcome and you are in the right place! Our members are very supportive and can help you every step of the way :) Congratulations on such wonderful success and know that your experience can help others through their tough times :) Post often and know that we are always here! We look forward to celebrating 2 weeks with you :) Keep Strong, Josie _____________________ The SSC Support Team.

Reading this thread: