Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-03-27 3:02 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Water

2024-03-17 5:24 PM

Healthy Weight Community

logo

What motivates you?

2024-03-10 10:30 PM

Quit Smoking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

DM555 3 3

Browse through 411.742 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,431 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Jgorilla, anna13, CCaballero, JJAY EVANGEL, VKATE DARLENE

Argument with Spouse...Really want a cigarette

18 years ago 0 19 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thanks everyone for you support and words of encouragement. I still am smoke free and thankful that I didn't smoke the other night after the argument with my husband. I feel like a have passed my first test! Dee
18 years ago 0 19 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
So I have always turned to my friend the cigarette when I have gotten into arguments or disagreements with people and tonight I had a bad fight with my husband and I desperately wanted to go buy a pack of smokes and sit outside and have a couple. But instead of doing that I just went outside and sat there taking deep breaths. It has seemed to help for the moment. Part of me also wanted to smoke just to spite my husband.....he HATES cigarettes. Is that wrong to want to smoke just to spite him? I didn't do it because this quit has really been about me and my daughter. I'm doing it for the 2 of us. My husband and I just don't get along. :(
18 years ago 0 2436 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Dee, Good for you for not smoking! Just hang on to your Quit and protect it w/everything you have, and don't let anything happen to it. When the anger comes up, breathe big deep breaths... In..........Out.............and just keep breathing. and *** N.O.P.E. *** - not another puff ever (again!) Don't let the junkie in - just tell him NOPE... not now, not ever. Just dont smoke! Blessings- Healer [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 3/5/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 14 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 521 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $33.6 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 1 [B]Hrs:[/B] 22 [B]Mins:[/B] 25 [B]Seconds:[/B] 27
18 years ago 0 415 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Do NOT I repeat DO NOT smoke to spite him....you are only hurting yourself....It's great you made it through without smoking!!! Stressful times are really hard but smoking honestly doesnt make them better...Stay strong and focused on your quit and do whatever you have to to stay that way...for yourself!!! Again though...you will only be letting yourself down if you smoke to spite him....you've come to far to do that!!! Hang in there! The Chicken [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/12/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 35 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 359 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $131.25 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 2 [B]Hrs:[/B] 10 [B]Mins:[/B] 0 [B]Seconds:[/B] 32
18 years ago 0 130 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Dee: You have indeed passed a very important test. You proved that you want this quit and are willing to protect it. Now for passing this test the rules state that you must go out and get yourself a great reward Kaiser [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/1/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 79 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 3,183 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $790 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 15 [B]Hrs:[/B] 2 [B]Mins:[/B] 0 [B]Seconds:[/B] 26
18 years ago 0 456 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey Dee !! Natural to want to spite him when you are angry.. glad that you know better though. You all who have disagreements with husbands/wifes, I think have a harder time and are to be commended on being strong. Everyone is right that smoking won't make any difference.. except to make you feel worse for blowing your quit. I am so glad that you are strong enough to remember that this quit is for you and your daughter.. well done !!! Don't stop thinking that way.. you and your daughter.. both important people... Hang Tuff !! Christine [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/1/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 46 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,174 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $161 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 4 [B]Hrs:[/B] 23 [B]Mins:[/B] 20 [B]Seconds:[/B] 3
18 years ago 0 92 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Dee, Look at what smoking is for you during these stressful situations. It's a break. That's it. Jeez, I mean all of us used to even call them "smoke breaks". Just delete the smoke and you've got a "break". That's all you need. So do exactly what you did. Get away and be alone. 'Smoke' a straw, or something. Using smoking as a weapon against your husband would only make things worse, I think. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/24/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 25 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 434 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $112.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 2 [B]Hrs:[/B] 15 [B]Mins:[/B] 43 [B]Seconds:[/B] 10
18 years ago 0 254 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Dee. Been there. Many times. Thought of smoking just to tick him off. But didn't. Because even though he HATED when I smoked, my starting back wouldn't hurt him. It will kill me. So.......I did the same as you. Went outside, walked away, came here and posted. And guess what? I'm still smoke free and we still fight ;) but I feel less and less like grabbing a smoke when it does happen. The urges will go away with time........just let yourself find a new way of coping with the arguments. Sounds like you have already made a step in that direction........keep going. You are headed the right way!! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 12/19/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 90 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,363 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $607.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 8 [B]Hrs:[/B] 4 [B]Mins:[/B] 59 [B]Seconds:[/B] 4
18 years ago 0 2027 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Dee, everytime you get through a situation that you would have previously smoked in or for, it makes it a bit easier the next time you encounter that situation. Eventually, that association will be extinguished. That's what the bulk of quitting is all about, breaking those associations. Kaiser's right about the reward. You've earned one, so go get it. It doesn't have to cost much, or anything at all. It just has to make you happy. Well done, Dee. Shevie [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 5/23/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 302 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 6,052 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1147.6 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 56 [B]Hrs:[/B] 9 [B]Mins:[/B] 58 [B]Seconds:[/B] 41
18 years ago 0 2027 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi, Dee. Sorry to hear you're having hubby problems. No, smoking won't help. No, it's not wrong to [u]want[/u] to smoke just to spite him. I think you're just a few days into your quit? At this point it's natural to want to smoke under any stressfull condition. What would be wrong would be to carry out the act. Would you cut off your nose to spite your face? OK, old lame cliche. But it fits this situation so nicely. All you'd be doing by smoking would be damaging yourself and anyone who inhales the second-hand smoke. Focus away from your hubby and fully onto you and your daughter. From your post I think you already know this, you just needed to hear it from outside. Hang in there, Dee. You did the right thing coming here. Keep us posted. Shevie [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 5/23/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 300 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 6,018 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1140 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 56 [B]Hrs:[/B] 2 [B]Mins:[/B] 22 [B]Seconds:[/B] 1

Reading this thread: