Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

HelpPlease

2024-04-15 2:59 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.747 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,460 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Angelbaby, kencatly, jrawrz, AMARIAH BETTINA, HelpPlease

Cig and NRT free - how many seconds a day do you still want a cigarette?

18 years ago 0 96 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I quit smoking 12 days ago... I quit the patch one week later...so 5 days ago! YAY NEKKID! I do not know how many seconds of the day I crave a cigarette...If I feel craving for one second I remind myself that I am a non-smoker and it goes away... How often do I think about smoking? Every time I see or smell one, or smell it on someone, or do something I would have smoked during or after...So, several times a day i guess... I can say that I feel soooo much better since I quit the patch...My head came out of the fog, I am not starving to death constantly, Im not quite as thirsty (I have never drank this much liquid in my life!), the sweats are not as bad...and I feel comfortable saying I am a non-smoker now that I am nicotine free! Good luck to everyone! Amy :) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/3/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 12 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 385 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $45 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 1 [B]Hrs:[/B] 1 [B]Mins:[/B] 57 [B]Seconds:[/B] 48
18 years ago 0 456 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
browneyesblue, I went to a hypnotherapist. I felt the same way.. as if I wasn't hypnotized. I enjoyed the counseling part of it though. I feel it helped me get in the right place to start. I do reinvision my "perfect place" from time to time and it does lift me up. I broke down and cried on day one without notice and wasn't even craving a cigarette. I have to say that I have had very little problem quitting. I feel like there is a void but, not much else. Today on day 3, I had about 8 cravings that pasted within seconds. I look around for something when they occur. When I realize it is a cigarette that I am looking for, I shake my head and say.. "That was a craving.. where is my candy ?" I repeat the saying... " I used to smoke but, I quit." Then I go on with what I was doing. I did quit knowing that I had 5 days to spend at home or doing as I wanted. I smell my hands and my hair when I think of it.. clean ahhhhh ! I am staying positive !! Doing it over.. I would see a counselor but not a hypnotist.. the counseling part really helps. I quit on Wed this week, tomorrow is Sunday.. I will never smoke again.. I can do this.. Chris [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/1/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 4 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 101 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $14 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 10 [B]Mins:[/B] 20 [B]Seconds:[/B] 23
18 years ago 0 519 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
The first time I quit it was cold turkey. Actually, it was with the Schick thing for five days which did no good at all. But I did quit and it was absolutely postivley the worst experience I ever had. I remember getting up in the middle of the night to go down to the apartment pool area to look in the sand ashtrays for a butt. It seemed to go on forever. It didn't and eventually I never thought about cigarettes anymore. Until I started again, that is. Which wasn't because of craving. It was a conscious decision. This time I'm using NRT which makes it not quite so bad. I notice that there are several minutes at a time that I don't think about wanting a cig. There are several minutes that I am paralyzed and can't do anything but hunker down and wait for the craving to pass.
18 years ago 0 38 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I've been totally nicotine free for 26 days now. Jan.23 was the last date I had nicotine. I did it by the cold laser therapy treatment. My last cigarette was Jan. 11, and then I used the Nicotrol inhaler and Nicorette gum until Jan. 23rd. I had to stop my smoking because my health was really deteriorating badly and I was getting so I couldn't breathe and had to go to the ER for treatment at one point. I'm breathing much easier now, although I still have "breathless" times when I get short of breath. I guess I probably still think about maybe wanting to have a smoke mainly in the morning, and after I eat my dinner. The rest of the times aren't bad. Those are the only 2 I miss right now. I'm looking forward to living a smoke free life and can't wait for the day when I won't even think about them at all!!
18 years ago 0 70 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I certainly no old timer, but here it goes: 1. How long have you been completely nicotine free? --I guess I am on my 15th day without cigarettes or nicotine of any kind. 2. How many seconds per day do you spend craving a cigarette? --Seconds? All added up throughout an average day, probably 20 minutes. 3. How many times do you think about a cigarette? etc. --On an average day, probably 10. It might be less if my wife weren't still smoking. I am hoping she will begin her quit very soon. 4. Any other statistical information that would be inspiring to other quitters either cold turkeys or NRTs who want to be Nicotine free. --I just started the cough yesterday. I know it's my body eliminating toxins, but it's still not fun. --This is the first time I have gone cold turkey and the most comfortable I have been. I will do it this time. The cold turkey probably made the first week more intense but I was so happy to have the nicotine out my system so I could be stronger to face the other demons associated with the quit. --Days 3 & 4 were very hard. I thought I had it licked and then had a terrible time on day 8. I stayed quit and feel I am stronger for it. --Learning to block the junkie thoughts will be my next biggest challenge. I have lost my quit too many times 20, 30, 50 or 60+ days in to it because I convince myself that I can be a social smoker, or have just one, or smoke for just one night, etc... Usually these failures have involved alcohol. For now at least, I am quitting drinking alcohol to help maintain my quit. My quit is more important than the beer & booze. "Not One Puff Ever!"(N.O.P.E.) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/29/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 15 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 180 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $45 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 2 [B]Hrs:[/B] 3 [B]Mins:[/B] 41 [B]Seconds:[/B] 38
18 years ago 0 37 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
1. 19 Days and counting for the rest of my life. 2. On a bad day maybe 15 seconds for the worst craving, and the cravings come 1-2 times a day that is on a really bad day. 3. Hardly ever, maybe 1 every 2-3 days. 4. Think of all the other people in this world who don't have the courage to even take a step in your shoes to quit. Be proud of who you are and where you are going. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/24/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 19 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 399 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $79.8 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 2 [B]Hrs:[/B] 5 [B]Mins:[/B] 2 [B]Seconds:[/B] 21
18 years ago 0 23 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hello Ive been nic free for almost 9 days.. I crave cigs whenever I "think" about them. After meals, drives in cars, bedtime, my wake-up call... I think about them when I crave them and when I see smokers smoking. My husband and daughter smoke so that makes the cravings a little harder to ignore..... This is how I quit...cold turkey I guess you could call it...I went to a Hypnotist...deep down I dont think it worked..but it did give me the incentive to quit...so I guess in a weird way it did work..lol ;) Has anyone else tried a hypnotist?? [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/27/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 8 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 179 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $24 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 22 [B]Mins:[/B] 7 [B]Seconds:[/B] 9
18 years ago 0 4 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I quit about three weeks ago, I've been nicotine free for about a week. I still struggle with cravings probably two or three times a day, particularly at home when sitting on the patio when the weather was nice. Work hasn't been as bad. I would guess I spend about 15-20 minutes a day thinking about smoking, sometimes glad that I quit, sometimes not so glad and rather cranky about it. But, like I told my Mom, I'm not "quitting smoking" in my mind. I've "stopped smoking" and now I'm in the process of letting my body heal, it will take time. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/22/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 22 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 404 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $121 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 2 [B]Hrs:[/B] 4 [B]Mins:[/B] 22 [B]Seconds:[/B] 52
18 years ago 0 60 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
1.I have been nic free for 4 whole days(halfway through day 5) 2. Crave cigarettes about half the day(mornings and early afternoons are the worst for me) 3. Think about cigarettes a lot. 4. I am glad I am going "cold turkey" as no offence to those who use NRTs but in my opinion it just prolongs the quit..I feel going cold turkey rids my body of the drug quicker than if I were using NRT I am going solely on will power and snacking on gum/sweets and using the "one day at a time" method when I feel on a low I tell myself that I will have a puff tomorrow this seems to work for me pesonally hope this post helps others ;p [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/11/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 4 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 88 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] �16.4 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 14 [B]Mins:[/B] 6 [B]Seconds:[/B] 45
18 years ago 0 610 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I have been a cold turkey I tried patches years ago and had such a bad reaction I did not even think of any NRT. I have now gone 2 weeks with out a cigarette I really don't crave them and have not for a while it is the empty void I have to deal with. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/2/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 15 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 416 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $55.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 1 [B]Hrs:[/B] 12 [B]Mins:[/B] 5 [B]Seconds:[/B] 1

Reading this thread: