Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

HelpPlease

2024-04-15 2:59 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.747 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,460 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Angelbaby, kencatly, jrawrz, AMARIAH BETTINA, HelpPlease

Now I'm addicted to FOOD!!

17 years ago 0 420 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Rewards should help with this. Most people who are addicted to something need to replace the addiction with something. If you focus on replacing the addictive behavior with a reward for not smoking, rather than another addiction, it will help. Yes, I saw an article where another woman went on a diet, lost weight, but took up shopping for her new addiction. She simply moved from food to shopping. It's all about wanting a fix, or instant gratification, which the cigs seemed to provide... for me anyway. I'm still working on that... trying to think differently. I have my days with the food as well. I've noticed I'm in the same type of mood on the days where I eat all the time, as I used to be on the days when I smoked more. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 12/31/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 102 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,544 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $196.86 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 11 [B]Hrs:[/B] 22 [B]Mins:[/B] 53 [B]Seconds:[/B] 33
17 years ago 0 969 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I just heard a discussion on TV this morning about this subject. They were saying it's a common thing to swap one addiction for another. Carney Wilson had her stomach stapled, and started drinking. A friend of mine quit smoking, and was hooked on cola. Another friend gave up hard drugs, but turned to food. Recognize what it is, if you haven't already, and then take the proper steps to understand and overcome it. You can do it! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/14/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 57 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,735 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $276.45 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 7 [B]Hrs:[/B] 23 [B]Mins:[/B] 3 [B]Seconds:[/B] 3
17 years ago 0 8760 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Exile, If you feel that is the case, take a tour of our sister site: www.depressioncenter.net and take the depression test. Once you've completed the test, you can take it to your doctor and come up with a plan together. There is also a great therapy program that focuses on goal-setting. As for the boredom and reaching for food, have an alternative like ice water. It's just a matter of substituting something else for food. Hang in there, you'll change this habit too. Just takes time. Danielle _____________________ The SSC Support Team
17 years ago 0 54 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
:) Thanks Windy, Changing and Danielle. I think maybe I'm fairly depressed as it is anyway without including quitting smoking. Thanks for understanding me. :) I know what I should be doing.. it's just finding the enthusiasm inside myself to do it! I have no motivation. I used to but I haven't found a way to fill the void that quitting smoking has left. If I am busy doing something I am fine but when I stop I don't know what to do? So I think of food. I don't think of cigarettes really any more, but food! Thanks for your help. :) Windy, feel free to vent! :) :) Let's vent together!! ;) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 11/7/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 156 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 3,917 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] �858 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 12 [B]Hrs:[/B] 14 [B]Mins:[/B] 33 [B]Seconds:[/B] 5
17 years ago 0 8760 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Exile, Why are you eating in the first place? Boredom perhaps? What can you do about it? As for eating junk food, you have a few options: *Take it out of the house. Can't eat it if it's not there, right? *Give yourself a junk food goal for the day or the week. Once you've reached it, that's it. It may be hard in the beginning but it's just getting into the habit. You can still eat, just don't eat junk. * Increase your level of physical activity. If you hate the gym, find an activity that is fun and you can squeeze into your week. Ex: a dance class, a sport, even just a 10-20 minute walk a few times a week is an excellent start! * Watch your portions and timing. Don't grab junk food when you're hungry because you're likely to eat more of it and almost all junk food is high in calories. You'll also be giving your body a huge rush of sugar, once the sugar levels drop, you'll be hungry again. Hope this helps. Danielle ______________________ The SSC Support Team
17 years ago 0 1155 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I can relate! I'm working hard on trying to eat healthy 90% of the time, and then letting myself have treats the other 10%. Notice that I said "working hard on" aka "not quite there yet" ;) I also know that if I increased my daily exercise it would help a lot. And, I keep thinking about what someone on this site said: [color=Orange]It's better to be alive in a moo-moo than dead in a bikini[/color] Point is = the quit has to be my priority! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/24/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 47 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,658 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $305.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 3 [B]Hrs:[/B] 23 [B]Mins:[/B] 41 [B]Seconds:[/B] 24
  • Quit Meter

$1,134,975.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 5538 Hours: 17

Minutes: 47 Seconds: 32

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

17 years ago 0 23 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
one stone is 14lb! does that make sense? [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/6/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 96 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,923 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] �960 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 6 [B]Hrs:[/B] 11 [B]Mins:[/B] 19 [B]Seconds:[/B] 49
17 years ago 0 537 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
How mcuh does a stone weigh??? [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 9/28/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 196 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 2,940 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $697.76 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 19 [B]Hrs:[/B] 14 [B]Mins:[/B] 28 [B]Seconds:[/B] 37
17 years ago 0 2631 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi exile....makes total sense to me i'm afraid. The problem is that when I'm stressed out, I crave something that makes me feel better. Carrots do not make me feel happy. Neither does celery. I am eating healthier and I am getting lots of exercise but, today, I just really wanted to do something that was BAD for me but felt good. (That's not good advice but I'm venting too) Hope tomorrow is a good day for you! Windy [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 9/11/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 212 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 4,258 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1060 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 20 [B]Hrs:[/B] 17 [B]Mins:[/B] 47 [B]Seconds:[/B] 48
17 years ago 0 54 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I'm sorry if some of it doesn't make sense but it is gone 1am and I'm pretty tired. Didn't realise that was the time! Must go to bed. My son's 6th birthday in the morning, so he'll probably be up soon. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 11/7/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 155 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 3,896 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] �852.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 12 [B]Hrs:[/B] 12 [B]Mins:[/B] 57 [B]Seconds:[/B] 53

Reading this thread: