Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,492 Members

Please welcome our newest members: anonymeLouise, RDANIELA NICOLE, Lfr, CPADUA, DSHAIRRA PE

Treadmills, Are They Good Or Evil?

18 years ago 0 1521 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
redrosie, Cute post. The treadmill is acutally one of my closest friends. The best is to have it infront of a TV. When I'm watching TV and am working out on the treadmill, it doesn't feel like it. I divert my attention to the TV and just keep the flow of the treadmill. Try it out, it's great. Take Care, Melanie ________________ The SSC Support Team
18 years ago 0 1687 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Redrosie, your message has encouraged me to get back on my treadmill. I think I forget I have it because it is downstairs, and I'm not down there very often. I think it is time to get it in front of my TV. About one year ago I was up to five miles a day. What a big difference in my energy level. :p You won't be sorry for your purchase, but take it easy and don't over do. Sometimes you will think it is great and other times you will think it is very evil :eg: This is day 47 for me, we quit about the same time. Good walking rosie, I plan to start tonight. :gasp: Sunshine [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/7/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 47 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 805 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $164.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 6 [B]Hrs:[/B] 19 [B]Mins:[/B] 26 [B]Seconds:[/B] 56
  • Quit Meter

$229,862.81

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 6394 Hours: 21

Minutes: 48 Seconds: 55

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

Redrosie, Yes I started with Step one. I'm doing the whole thing. My start day was Jan. 7th. So my 50th day will be Monday, I can't believe it. You are just one week ahead of me. Goodnight Redrosie!! Sunshine [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/7/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 48 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 816 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $168 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 6 [B]Hrs:[/B] 21 [B]Mins:[/B] 45 [B]Seconds:[/B] 15
  • Quit Meter

$229,862.81

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

Hey Redrosie, don't get discouraged with the treadmill. I started just as you did 5 min's a day for two or three days. Then I started adding 2-3 min's each day and started to increase the speed of the treadmill each day. I'm guessing but I think it took me about three months. Always start slow and then begin turning up the speed and then the last few min's start to slow down. You probably knew this . Rosie, are you dreading the day when you won't have a patch to put on?? I am very worried. I have one more week of step 2, and I bought the 3rd step today. I love your sense of humor you sound like you could be my sister, I can hear my sister Judy saying the things you say. Thanks for your encouraging words. Sunshine [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/7/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 47 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 812 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $164.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 6 [B]Hrs:[/B] 20 [B]Mins:[/B] 52 [B]Seconds:[/B] 57
  • Quit Meter

$229,862.81

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

18 years ago 0 893 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Well that didn't work very well (the link) but it should work if you copy and paste. :blush:
Well done Rosie!! we have all been waiting with baited breath to find out if 'she did or she didn't' get one. Keep at it, you will be surprised at how soon your fitness will improve. A tip, when the going gets too tough walk for a while (i.e. take a breather) then run again for a while, then walk and so on. This is called interval training and is very effective at burning calories. Be Quit - Keep Fit :) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/6/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 16 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 201 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] �40 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 3 [B]Hrs:[/B] 1 [B]Mins:[/B] 15 [B]Seconds:[/B] 43
OOOOOps, I have just realised that I have been breaking the rules as I put details of some websites in my earlier posts on heart rate and stretches, this is not allowed. Sorry ssc and friends!! Suffice to say that you can search yourself for any further information if you need it. :blush: [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/6/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 17 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 207 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] �42.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 3 [B]Hrs:[/B] 3 [B]Mins:[/B] 39 [B]Seconds:[/B] 42
Hello all you new found fitness fanatics! Redrosie, I actually calc you HR target to be 110-140. The pain in your calves is fairly normal when you start on a treadmill and yes there are stretches to help alleviate the pain, they are difficult to explain here. There are a couple of things I would stress for safety reasons: 1. Warm your muscles up before stretching (5-10 mins), you can tear them if you stretch when cold. 2. Do not do any bouncing movements, they are static stretches. You should find that by stretching this will cut down on the pain although sadly, not eliminate it. Happy jogging :) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/6/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 17 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 205 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] �42.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 3 [B]Hrs:[/B] 3 [B]Mins:[/B] 1 [B]Seconds:[/B] 46
Hi Goldie, glad to hear that you have got yourself a bike. In order to burn fat you need to make sure that you are working hard enough (but not too hard!), this means working in what is known as 'The Training Zone'. This is a percentage of your maximum heart rate which is based on your age. The calculation for max heart rate is 220 less your age ( so if 40 then = 180), you should train at 60-80% of this to burn fat effectively. :) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/6/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 16 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 200 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] �40 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 3 [B]Hrs:[/B] 0 [B]Mins:[/B] 59 [B]Seconds:[/B] 57
Hi redrosie, I have been exercising on and off for many years (I am a qualified fitness instructor - and I smoked!!, how dumb is that??) and in my experience a lot of it is down to individual taste. I currently go to a gym and personally do not like running very much (unless it is chasing a ball!), but I know plenty of people who do. My favourite piece of cardio equipment is the rowing machine because it is low impact and you get an upper body as well as lower body work out. Whatever you choose I recomend either listening to some upbeat music or tuning into the tv, otherwise it can get rather boring at times. The other thing is to set yourselves small, but achievble goals e.g get to the first 5 minutes, then the first kilometer, then to 10 minutes, then to the end of the song you are listening to etc. etc. If you buy a treadmill I would invest in a decent quality one with an information display and preferable one that inclines, then if you do get tired of running you can have a brisk uphill walk. Also be careful not to over do it, you should work hard enough to get a sweat going but not so hard that you can hardly breathe or talk. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/6/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 15 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 182 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] �37.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 2 [B]Hrs:[/B] 18 [B]Mins:[/B] 22 [B]Seconds:[/B] 16

Reading this thread: