Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,483 Members

Please welcome our newest members: CPADUA, DSHAIRRA PE, CLOVELY GRACE, kathleencabralmd, TestingDHA

Metabolic undershoot?

18 years ago 0 427 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I am having to believe somethign like this must be true. I have not changed eating habits too much and am playing raquetball 2 to 3 times a week (which is fairly new and incredibly strenuous) and have managed to gain over 15 pounds. This is driving me nuts. I guess I will worry about that more after month 2. Just Say N.O.P.E. [img] http://stubow.com/ssc/ka.jpg [img] Kickin Ash in 06 StuBow [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/13/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 36 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 911 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $144 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 5 [B]Hrs:[/B] 9 [B]Mins:[/B] 57 [B]Seconds:[/B] 51
  • Quit Meter

$24,870.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 631 Hours: 2

Minutes: 36 Seconds: 6

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

18 years ago 0 1450 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Shevie and all~ Well it certainly does sound good, I'll give you that. :) I have never heard of the 'swelling' you are describing. Water weight gain/retention makes more sense to me since we tend to sip a lot of water/liquids in the beginning. I've only gained 6 pounds and that fluctuates so I'm pretty sure some of my gain is water retention. Now about the 'boing' effect. If nothing else...I like the name!~lol I can't help but think that most people who smoke are not 'health nuts' to begin with. Therefore, quitting, eating right and 30 min. of exercise most days (the recommended amount) does not generally go hand in hand. In the beginning quitters often crave sweets and quitting is HARD ENOUGH so.....[i]"gimme some pie!"[/i] :eg: Ya know what I mean? :) I've read the nicotine kept our body weight low, and when we quit smoking, our body returns to the weight it would have been had we never smoked. Missyfit is right, there's not a lot of info out there. I would be interested in knowing more about this subject. It's a good theory. ~all the best N2k [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 8/20/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 175 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 3,866 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $875 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 16 [B]Hrs:[/B] 16 [B]Mins:[/B] 16 [B]Seconds:[/B] 54
18 years ago 0 2027 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I posted this to another thread, but I'm really curious to see what others think, especially those who are trained in these things. Other than what I've seen here I have no reason to think that this may be true, and I've done no research on it, but I'm going to toss it out anyway and see what happens. I was told by both my doctor and trainer that we swell when we quit smoking. Nicotine causes stress and tension in the entire body: muscles, blood vessels, organs, everything. When the nicotine leaves, the body relaxes and as a result it gets larger. This is not necessarily weight gain, but size gain. Along with this, I wonder if there is a sort of "boing" effect when we quit that causes a temporary weight gain no matter what we do. Part of the destressing is our metabolism drops causing our maintenance calorie consumption to also drop, but our eating (calorie intake) at least stays the same and usually goes up. Further, I wonder if this metabolism drop actually overshoots some, actually going below whatever our non-smoking normal should be. This would put the maintenance calorie consumption below normal while our calorie intake is the same or higher. This equals weight gain. So we start exercising as best we can, but it doesn't seem to do any good. This is because we are below normal right now and to exercise enough to make up for the deficit is more than most of us can handle. Over time (a year, or so?), as our bodies adjust to being nicotine free our metabolism recovers, increasing a bit to normal. This increases our maintenance calorie consumption and that, plus our new found love of exercise and the decreased need to shove food into our mouths to compensate for the lack of cigs, all combine to start shedding the weight gained during the quit. Like I said, I have no reason to think this idea has any merit other than it sounds good. But I do hope it will spark a few thoughts and maybe people who know more about fitness/nutrition/health can toss in their 2 or 3 cents. Shevie [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 5/23/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 264 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 5,281 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1003.2 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 49 [B]Hrs:[/B] 5 [B]Mins:[/B] 31 [B]Seconds:[/B] 38
18 years ago 0 586 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
That makes a lot of sense to me, Shevie, especially since there's next to ZERO on this subject out there. (Lord knows I've tried to hunt it down). You'd think since it's such a big concern for so many that some kind of studies would have been performed and something would have been published. I did read where a trainer mentioned that recovering smokers should allow a year before weight begins to drop. That's pretty much been the case for me. Something different does happen to us that quit smoking. I wish I could say exactly what. Losing the additional poundage has been more difficult (and slower than molasses) for me since quitting...but doable. I'm pretty health conscious so I'm very interested in seeing new info and theories. I've not heard about the swelling before.... Like gravity tugging at us isn't enough? :| :p Thanks for the info...very interesting! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/2/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 374 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 7,489 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1335.18 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 39 [B]Hrs:[/B] 15 [B]Mins:[/B] 38 [B]Seconds:[/B] 41
  • Quit Meter

$18,636.99

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 688 Hours: 6

Minutes: 51 Seconds: 44

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

Reading this thread: