Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,479 Members

Please welcome our newest members: DSHAIRRA PE, CLOVELY GRACE, kathleencabralmd, TestingDHA, JVICTORINO

17 Days Smoke Free, Side Effects and Mouth Sensation

5 years ago 0 796 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Peacock Girl,
 Congratulations on quitting smoking! You made it through hell week and heck week, and you're in the middle of blah week, keep it going.  Headaches, nausea, diarrhea, irritable, anxiety are all side effects of that nasty chemical they call nicotine. Your body doesn't know how to cope without the nicotine now and just needs time to adjust. Trust me, these feelings and issues will subside in time. How long it takes is different for each quitter. The more positive your attitude is about quitting, the quicker and easier it should be. As for your taste buds, they too need time to readjust. You've got to remember that you used to smoke all the time, when you were happy, sad, mad, nervous, after eating, first thing after waking up etc, and depending on how long you smoked, it's going to take awhile for things to get back to the "new" normal without cigarettes. If your son only knew what you're going through he'd be real proud of you! You should be proud of yourself too, and be sure and give yourself a reward for all your efforts. It helps to re-enforce your quit journey. 
 Hang in there it will get better. Stay strong and watch out for all of those triggers.

Not One Puff Ever

• Quit Meter

$23,159.40

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 770 Hours: 14

Minutes: 11 Seconds: 3

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

5 years ago 0 2534 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Firstly, congratulations on 17 days smoke free!! That is brilliant; Well done!

As for all those horrible side effects, sadly that can all happen when you quit but it is a small price to pay and it will get better. We've all been there!

The mouth sensations too but if they persist, pop along and have a chat with your doctor about it. No harm in that and he/she will be pleased that you quit and will be happy to advise you.

During all this turmoil just remember what a wonderful thing you are doing for yourself and that it will get better. Just keep on keeping on, one day at a time.

Best Wishes
Penitent 5,178 days smoke free

• Quit Meter

$56,694.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 1122 Hours: 19

Minutes: 32 Seconds: 55

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

5 years ago 0 1 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I'm happy that I quit smoking. My two year old son was my biggest reason, there's so much of his life that I wanna see and I felt that I wasn't gonna experience it with smoking. Well it's been 17 days since I've quit. It's been rough, I started off using patches and gum. But I couldn't tell if it was patches, gum or withdrawal side effects but I was having headaches, nausea, direhha, irritable, anxiety (which I already have an on medication for), sinuses started bothering me. The cravings gotten better. But the part that was irritating me the most was my mouth.. first few days my mouth taste metallic, then bitter, then my tongue felt sensitive and felt like I had ate something hot. I can taste food and drink fine, and normally. But it's like as soon as the taste of food fades out my mouth, my taste seems so bland and tasteless. (IDK if I'm not use to having a clean mouth before, always had that lingering smokers breath or that I've never really paid much attention to it before and I'm over thinking it). My mouth feels sensitive, tongue has a lil white coating on it like thrush, couple lil ulcers and jaw/cheeks hurt a lil. IDK if it's just stress, clenching, or sinus pressure in cheek's.. but it doesn't help my anxiety.. I would be feeling fine now if it won't for blah, bland feeling mouth, idk if taste buds are still reforming or wat.
  • Quit Meter

$215,759.81

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 3776 Hours: 13

Minutes: 30 Seconds: 40

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

Reading this thread: