Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,479 Members

Please welcome our newest members: DSHAIRRA PE, CLOVELY GRACE, kathleencabralmd, TestingDHA, JVICTORINO

Mouth Ulcers (Canker Sores in US English?)

14 years ago 0 11213 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Orinoco  

A small number of smoker's experience mouth irritations when they cut down or quit smoking. The cause is related to chemical adjustments that are taking place in your mouth. For years your mouth has had to withstand repeated assaults with hot cigarette smoke. Your tissues are adjusting and healing.

Keep practicing good oral hygiene. This will keep the sore from getting infected and causing you further problems. Avoid really spicy, sour or salty foods. Make sure what your eating isn't too hot or cold.
Speak to your pharmacist about topical treatments for mouth sores. 

If you experience sores for longer than a few weeks, consult your doctor.

Ashley, Health Educator
14 years ago 0 19 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0

Thanks all,

I´m finding that its sugary foods that are causing me the most discomfort - so things like lollipops, boiled sweets etc are not an option to take my mind off smoking. I´m formulating my own theory on what the root cause of all this is and I´ve put together the following:

Every night I´m waking up with an incredibly dry mouth, to the extent that I´m taking a 1 litre bottle of water to bed with me. In the past, having been a relatively heavy smoker (30 - 40 a day for the last 20 years), the poisons contained in the cigarette smoke have ensured that any bacteria in my mouth were fried almost immediately. Now however, I´m back to relying on the enzymes and antibacteria which naturally occur in saliva doing the job for me (as well as practising good dental hygiene). I´m also avoiding alcohol like the plague at the moment as I know that that, by far is the biggest trigger for me. I think sailors started drinking rum to avoid things like scurvy didn´t they? Well without the cigarette smoke, alcohol etc I´m suddenly asking an awful lot of my saliva, so until some natural balance is restored I just have to live with it, and floss, brush and rinse like a nutter.

I realise its probably a preposterous theory, no doubt there´s a dental hygienist out there s******ing away to themself, but its working for me and helps me to convince myself it’s all part of the healing process! I probably should mention that as a result of an accident a few years back I wear a prosthetic front tooth which is fitted to a plate that clips against two teeth and sits on the roof of my mouth. I mean it’s a harbour for nasty things. I´m hoping to get an implant in the future with the money I save from not smoking, but as I mentioned before, first I have to put my mechanic´s kids through college. lol

Again, thanks for your encouragement and suggestions and fear not - I´ve no intention of trying the cigar remedy! My apologies for venting off a bit with my first post. A lot of accumulated frustration really; cars breaking down, additional bills to pay as a result, no noticeable difference in cash flow despite all the effort, no rewards and a painful mouth. I can see the bright side though – I´m losing a couple of pounds every week as I´m not eating much, so unwanted weight gain isn´t an issue for me J

The very best to you all,

Steve

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 8/24/2009
Smoke-Free Days: 22
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 770
Amount Saved: �115.50
Life Gained:
Days: 3 Hrs: 4 Mins: 49 Seconds: 35

14 years ago 0 363 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I've had a few of them, but unfortunately I have no remedies for you. I just waited for them to subside, and they did after a few weeks. Just hang in there, it will get better.
My Milage:

My Quit Date: 4/2/2009
Smoke-Free Days: 166
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 6,640
Amount Saved: $1,992.00
Life Gained:
Days: 24 Hrs: 13 Mins: 57 Seconds: 32

• Quit Meter

$37,544.33

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 987 Hours: 9

Minutes: 3 Seconds: 49

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

14 years ago 0 1080 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi and welcome, congrats first of all on your great quit and your wife's too- four weeks is just wonderful and well done on surviving Hell and Heck too.
As for the mouth ulcers I can't say I have ever suffered specifically from those, but even now almost 18 months later I occasionally get a very sore and sometimes painful tongue!. My tongue is a healthy pink colour to look at but all I can think of ( and this is an amateur guess) is that because my tongues taste buds/receptors are no longer dulled by smoke they are more sensitive to some of the sharper/spicier foods that I may tend to eat.
I know I have actually 'gone off' some of my favourite foods because they seem to taste so sharp these days, and coincedentally these all seem to be vinegar based foods. So maybe you might want to try eliminating some foods and see if the sores reduce- please dont try the occasional cigar/ette to see if it cures it, I am sure it wont!
Let us know how you get on.

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 5/10/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 493
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 12,325
Amount Saved: $7,395.00
Life Gained:
Days: 58 Hrs: 3 Mins: 49 Seconds: 41

14 years ago 0 1904 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Welcome!

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 5/1/2009
Smoke-Free Days: 136
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 3,808
Amount Saved: $1,475.60
Life Gained:
Days: 14 Hrs: 22 Mins: 23 Seconds: 42

14 years ago 0 2606 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Orinoco,

I'm glad to hear that you are benefiting from the site. You should definitely post more often, as each members experiences contribute such great information to the forums. Congratulations and getting through the dreaded hell and heck week! I'm sorry to hear that you are dealing with the painful mouth ulcers. Continue to consult your doctor or pharmacist regarding the issue. You can try softer foods for breakfast such as yogurt or oatmeal with fruits, maybe even add some honey or cinnamon to add some sweetness.

Have you cut out tea simply because it triggers a craving?

Members, any suggestions on how to relieve the pain of the mouth ulcers?
Samantha, Health Educator
14 years ago 0 19 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Firstly I´d just like to say what a great resource my wife and I have found this site to be. We tend to read rather than post but its so encouraging to find such a wealth of information in one place - a really invaluable tool for anyone who is serious about quitting.
Having both made it through "Hell Week" and "Heck Week" and now into our 4th week I´m finding I´m developing more and more mouth ulcers. I´ve consulted my doctor about it and he has assured me it is nothing out of the ordinary and prescribed me some medication that in terms of pain, is like applying battery acid to the affected areas.
I´ve Googled this quite a lot and I realise that this is not a totally uncommon side effect of quitting smoking, but what amazed me is that some people have actually resorted to smoking occasional cigars in an effort to keep the sores at bay. I´m wondering if anyone else has come across this problem and if so, if any miracle remedy is available out there. 

Giving up smoking is tough. Being unable to reward yourself because your car is in the mechanics for the 3rd time in 2 months is a pig as well. (Really, I suspect I´m single-handedly putting his kids through college.) But not even being able to enjoy a cup of tea and a biscuit after a long day is just really dragging me down. After 20 years of starting the day on Coffee and 5 cigarettes, I can´t tell you how much I need breakfast to get me going in the morning these days, and now a piece of toast feels like I´m eating razor blades.

Does anyone have any advice for a very grumpy, very poor, but most of all, very hungry ex smoker?

Regards

Steve 

Reading this thread: